Thread: Advice needed for jet river boat

Default Advice needed for jet river boat

Hi all. Looking to perhaps delve into river boating/lake boating for the interior, Kenai Pen lakes, Copper, Susitna valley rivers, etc. Looking at some Lowe Roughnecks, specifically in the 18-20 foot range, say a R1960MT with 90/65 Honda jet and steering console setup. Anyone have a similar boat and have any input? Looking to mostly hunt/camp/fish. Moose, caribou, maybe bison on the Copper someday. I've researched bigger jet boats with V hulls, actual cockpits, etc. but the Jon style boat seems to be best for what we want to do. Any advice is appreciated.

You've obviously done your research so here's a couple more things to consider:
    - how are your passengers going to stay dry while you are running a river in the rain, esp important for kids and wife?
    - seated side console or standing center? I had side steering and wished for center.
    - are the sides high enough making it little kid friendly if kids are a consideration?

These are some things I learned on my first Jon. It was a great boat and I am in the market for a new Jon at the moment. Looking for an 1876 Seaark.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I sold a 2072 SeaArk this summer that had a jet tunnel and a Honda 150. I couldn't have been happier with that set up and I kinda regret selling it.

ditch the steering wheel and get a tiller. 18-20 foot, with 90-115 horse, and a tunnel, cant be beat for shallow river running. my inboard offers heat, load packing abilities and comfort, but for get out and see some country while not worrying where the water is, the tunnel hull shines.

I have a SeaArk 1860 MVJT with a Honda 90/65 tiller. It is pretty sweet, but if the SeaArk 1872 MVJT can handle a 115hp, then get a Merc 115/80 Four Stroke. Those are sweet motors, they weight the same as my Honda 90 and run a bigger impeller, plus you don't have to do valve adjustments so you can do all the services yourself.

The SeaArks have nice high sides for kids. Dewey's Cook Inlet gets lots of SeaArks every year, get one with a trailer then head over to BassPro for the Merc. Best prices in AK for Mercs. If you were in Southeast I'd be pushing a Svendsen skiff with a Mercury 150 jet tiller.

Sobie2

All great advice given so far. No one boat is going to meet all you needs though, unfortunately. This said, if your looking at a 18' or 20', bigger is better in this case, so in other words, go with the 20'. I've owned 16', 18', 19', 20', and now I have my 24' SeaArk (2472) w/150hp Yamaha jet & prop over the past 30 years. Yep 30 years. There are many great boats out there, but 30 years ago I committed that I would own a SeaArk one day and I have now for the past 8 years. I've owned Smokercrafts, Lowes, army pontons customized to my liking, and a few others. As I said all good boats, but IMO, SeaArk is a top notch river boat.

image.jpg

Here is my boat getting ready for its 3rd Koyukuk trip. I've hauled 4 guys and gear for an epic trip each and every time. Two years ago, I hauled 4 Koyukuk moose, 4 hunters and gear 500 miles. This year we settled for 2 moose.

PM me if you want more specifics, but I'll never own another brand boat other than a SeaArk. I was always a Merc fan, but am on the fence now with my Yamaha, it's also an awesome engine.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    All great advice given so far. No one boat is going to meet all you needs though, unfortunately. This said, if your looking at a 18' or 20', bigger is better in this case,
    Best advice ever! There is a formula that will tell you how many boats (or skis bikes guns bows etc.) you should own, it's a very simple formula. n+1 where n is the number you own presently, there's an alternate formula that works just as well s-1 where s is the number of boats(etc.) that would cause separation from your significant other.

In that spirit I would suggest an 18' Jon boat and maybe a 22-24' inboard jet boat for other excursions. That way all your freshwater boating needs are covered. At least until you decide to start doing float trips then you'll need a big cataraft

PM ''Stanly'' on here for a very tricked out SeaArk he is getting ready to sell. It is customized and comes with a ton of goodies, I believe its a 22 or 24'er.......very nice ride!
    Bk

reklobe, check your PMs...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Stanly, please pm if you still have that seaark for sale , thanks !