Thread: Black Bears in the valley

Default Black Bears in the valley

Just a post to report on a failed trip to a few areas. First of I just want to thank Mike Strahan, hope I spelled it right? for taking the time to talk to me about chasing a bear.

Anyway a friend and I decided to go try and get a fall bear so we drove up to Hatchers pass from the Willow side. Got up there around 6:30 a.m. and drove up to the top of the tree line and waited to just before sun up. It was 17 degrees out, snow every where. Saw a bunch of moose, but not much else. After about 4 hours we decided to check another place out further up the road at a lower elevation. We spent the rest of the day in a place that was pretty decent spot. Again plenty of moose, no bears, no signs of bear either. I realize spending a handful of hours here and there isn't the best way to play the odds, but it was nice just to get out. I am thinking if the weather warms up like it is supposed to I am going to try again in the next few days.

On a side note it gave me an excuse to get out and foul my barrels before a "hunt" which is always fun.

If any of you accomplished bear hunters have any general tips you can share, I am more then happy to utilize an experienced person's advice.

Joe
    Have you given any thought to floating the big Su? The various creek mouths should have bears scrounging for dead fish right now. I sent you a pm also.

Try the upper eagle river area I know its not the valley, but every time I go up there I always see bears and I was lucky enough to get a nice one last weekend up there. Its just a good walk in and then after that its the climb uphill to the bears that usually deters people from that place, but if your in good shape I would recommend looking into it. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the info…..and to those of you who sent pm's. Well I had thought about it but to me it seemed I wanted to avoid rivers because I didn't want a bear that was snacking on salmon. But being a real rookie here I do appreciate the idea Gary, and it is something to consider.

HP isnt always the greatest place to do fall bear hunts (TONS of pressure) I live just down the street from Hatchers and I rarely see bears while glassing on day trips with the kids. I would recommend head south a bit (sterling) much better shot out that neck of the woods from my past experience.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Ok thanks for the heads up. As a matter of fact I saw bear yesterday while I was on the kp, never fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Joe
    Have you given any thought to floating the big Su? The various creek mouths should have bears scrounging for dead fish right now. I sent you a pm also.
    River has been at flood stage, everything was flushed out a week ago. Big Su and tribs are ripping pretty good, logs and lots of debris in the river with no sandars, etc....FYI.
    Bk

BK,
    thanks for the info, pretty much every creek or river crossed on the parks was way high, can't imagine what the big su looks like. I think I am going to get a trail cam and set it up on areas I might want to hunt…….kinda get teh ball rolling for next year.