Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our 2015 moose story & the jerk who came along

Default Our 2015 moose story & the jerk who came along

My daughter was the lucky winner of a antlerless draw tag in the valley. She was SO excited. We did these hunts as a family & was along as her mom (me) & sister had harvested bulls in other areas in prior years. She went to Hunters Ed (twice!), went to the range with dad for practice & was ready for her first hunt of ANY kind. We as a family planned & talked to folks & poured over maps. We use our vacation time (and funds) for a fun, educational & freezer filling trip.

We got to the area a few days early to scout (thank goodness!). Our first hike out, we went down a little trail & not to far out we ran into a cow & bull coming toward us. We back tracked & got outta there- feeling extremely hopeful & then saw a nice little bull in another spot. So, we knew there were animals around. Opening day rolls around- holy cow! There were people & atv's everywhere! My husband & daughter headed out on a trail early that morning where it looked like no one was yet- they came upon 2 nice cows, but just couldnt get set up with the rest before they lit out of there. Then nothing & more nothing, except other hunters! Those 2 hiked miles & miles & miles. I went on a few of the walks & was thankful that they didnt get one way back in those spots. b/t/w WE didnt have an atv. They did see a couple of cows- but real fleeting. We kept hearing tales of groups of cows- but didnt see them. We saw several cows- then we'd see the calf.

We did this routine of getting up real early, drive, hike, look, wait... over and over each day for a week. Maybe that's not that long, but we kept hearing that the cows were everywhere & should be easy to find. Plus, our trip was drawing to a close. We were feeling pressure to secure some meat for the winter, but reflected on the fact that we'd had a great time with the family. Once again had seen amazing sights, gorgeous country, met some real nice folks- so while we'd hoped for hunt success, it was a bonus. We were driving home to our camper) one evening & as it generally does... almost unexpectedly a big beautiful cow was feeding next to the roadway. Now, taking an animal from near the roadway isnt my first choice in where/how- however, this is what we fill our freezer with & it was a gift! We made our way off the road- as there was a very wide pull off- asked my daughter if she wanted this, of course she did! Got her set up well of the roadway & made sure everything was legal & safe. She made an absolutely perfect shot on the cow (her biggest fears were making a bad shot or missing). Th animal went down nearly right away (and away from the road a bit) & perished within a minute. We were SO proud of her. She wanted to do this & she made it happen & did it just right.

THEN, some jerk in a sportscar pulled up (he'd turned around) in the wrong lane of the road to yell & swear at my husband & daughter about how you should be taking a picture- not shooting animals, blah, blah, blah.... then burned rubber peeling out (still on the wrong side of the highway). That scared my 12 year old a little & really dampened the experience for a while. Now, this is one of the reasons I don't even like to hunt/shoot where other people can see. It's a personal experience to me. And I certainly dont WANT to offend anyone. I love hunting- the planning, the seeing wonderful things, watching for critters of all sorts & I don't mind the butchering & the work that goes with it. I get NO pleasure from the killing- I hate that part. But, it's part of it. So, this jerk offended ME. Ok, so we get our stuff (game bags, knives, etc) together to take care of the meat. The jerk had turned around again & came back, parked behind my truck & was being aggressive & yelling while his woman videoed us with her phone. He told us we were lucky he wasnt a cop & all sorts of nonsense. My husband calmly explained what we were doing & why & said he was sorry if it was upsetting to them. Jerk said we'd better be there when the cops got there- It was nuts! I just dont understand this behavior. I get that some people dont like hunting (another reason I dont want folks to see it)- but jeez, be on your way & dont torture yourselves ppl. I think this guy was racing around trying to get to mcdonalds & get his burger- because they come out of a factory, not because an animal has died!

We are conscientious hunters in our opinion, respectful of the animals we take, we take excellent care of our meat, dont waste, punch & turn in our reports/specimens, obey the law- my daughter had a great time, as did the other 4 kids & her dad & I, but it's to bad that this unhappy couple had to unleash their anger on my husband & 12 year old daughter. And our freezer was full & then some.

Very sorry to hear about the sour experience on what sounds like an otherwise very memorable hunt. It sounds like your family handled the situation well though and for that I commend you.

If your daughter is at all dejected by the experience, I suggest you post a picture of her with her moose on here (if you have one), and then show her this thread in a few days. I suspect there will be others, but let me be one of the first to congratulate her on taking her first big game animal! Well done!

Don't mind the jerk. Congrats on a successful hunt....Well done.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Karma Report... Shortly after leaving your harvesting site his sportscar encountered a moose crossing the road in front of him. Now he understands your position.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I think I mite have shown him a full moon and blown him a kiss.

Harassment. Video back and report the license plate #.

wishing I got the plate #- but I was trying to keep my kids away from them (didnt know what kind of crazy they were). Little black sports car with vanity plates. Heavyish-set mid aged guy with woman same. I checked trooper reports yesterday & didnt see a report. Incident was on 9/2.

That's just despicable behavior, and I'm sorry you and especially your daughter had to witness it. I would never take making a police report lightly or do it unless I really felt it was justified, but this case would for sure fall into that category. That is absolute harassment and just a disgusting way to act. Beyond giving this a-hole couple a taste of what they deserve, it would have served to educate them about what the law has to say about hunters' rights.

The important lesson to everyone is the fact that so many people out there just don't "get it". We can chat amongst ourselves about how ridiculous it is for someone to be okay buying meat at the store yet have a problem with hunting, but that doesn't change anything. It's up to us to educate the people around us that to eat meat means an animal has to die, whether the killing occurs thousands of miles away or by your own hand. I feel, as I'm sure most of you do, that the hunter understands this and respects it much more than the non-hunter, so that's where we need to step in and show that.

I agree, you should post the pic of your daughter with the moose and let her see all the positive feedback she gets on this site. It should really help take the sour taste out of your mouths. We're with ya!!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Be sure to stress the positive and nurture your daughter. The world is full of jerks...why are they usually loud and fat ? Lol ! Seriously..years back our small game group had a similiar encounter with a man who came out on his deck to scream at us for hunting rabbits with Beagles. He strew profanity and made an absolute fool of himself. We were not on or near his property..but he could see us. One of our party...a Baptist preacher...finally spoke up and gave him a blessing ! That did shut him up ! Sure you probably did..but explain to your daughter there are many opinions on hunting..and also to take goofy people with a grain of salt . congrats on her harvest.

jubilation..... Please congratulate your daughter, as well as you and your husband, from all of us here. With you both coaching her all the way, about it all, I'm sure she'll be fine. You might remind her that man has been killing game for sustenance since time immortal. Remind her of the native Americans, as well as many of us here, that still view the game that they are "given" as gifts from the Universe. The taking of an animal's life is a sacred thing, and when done with love and respect is nothing short of a spiritual experience. To native Americans "the hunt" WAS like their religion. They praised the animal and the Gods for allowing them to receive the bounty of the Earth. It was a beautiful celebration of the circle of life.

Antis will never "get it". They only think with their emotions, and don't see the overall picture. They'll bad mouth hunters because we "kill," but think nothing of chomping down on a piece of veal, where that poor animal lived a terrible short, and tortured existence before being slaughtered. They don't see how the animals we eat have lived a free and healthy life. You want to talk about organic........well there ya go. It don't get any better than that!

Let her know that even vegetarians really don't have a leg to stand on if they want to bad mouth us "killing" to eat. Why? Because it has been "proven" that even fruits and veggies they eat have so called "feelings".....THEY ARE ALIVE...!!! What about all the critters that died when they plow the fields to plant? They might say well....those "things" aren't animals. But to me LIFE is LIFE....from the smallest bug to the largest moose. Do you think the Universe is more biased as to which life is more valuable? So then who are we to say.....

Lastly, believe it or not, even that clown in his sports car can't get away from it....... If you drive a car, you are flying down the road because an animal died to allow you to do so. How? Because of a little thing called steric acid. Steric acid is animal fat and is used to make tires. A chemist I guided once told me that....

Again.....CONGRATS....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    And I certainly dont WANT to offend anyone.
    That is the very type of guy I live to offend! Too bad your husband apologized to him. Like others have mentioned too bad you didn't get a plate number, and file charges on him.

I was walking down a road in talkeetna yesterday on our way to a hunting spot for a bear with a buddy and both our guns were hanging out. Not one person said anything negative to use whatsoever. A few people even waved.
    Anyway not to jack the thread, please don't feel bad because some who moved to the wrong state act like that. And impress upon your kinds they are lucky to enjoy the experience….
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-03-2015 at 20:56.

Congrats to not only your daughter on a successful hunt, but to your whole family for spending time afield together and passing on the values that we as hunters and fishers know and appreciate. Sometimes there are just jerks out there. I bet he has a yellow charter boat tied up in Whittier....

The main thing, the important thing is ... Well done to your daughter! It sounds like you had a great family time, a successful hunt, meat in the freezer, and your daughter has some serious skills.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-03-2015 at 20:56.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I'm sorry about the mood damper for your daughter OP, but I bet eating that moose will make it all better.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-03-2015 at 20:57.

You should have definitely taken advantage of the REDDI program based on his driving and reported the hunter harassment which is illegal and pursued in this state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, call troopers immediately. Guy screaming at people with guns is a volatile situation that can go bad in a hurry. Terrible you daughter had that experience. I hpe she realizes there are crazies everywhere.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

At the point when he came back why didn't you guys call the troopers??? The troopers could of diffused the whole situation and that fella would of probably left with a ticket and a better understanding of the law. It does no good to talk to these type of folks also as others have said just because they are anti hunters does not mean they are "liberals"... I know plenty of conservative folks who think its wrong to hunt or find it weird so go figure... Anyhow its a learning experience and next time just call the troopers.

Congratulations on your successful hunt. Too bad you didn't get video of the jerk that was harassing your family. Sounds like a clear case of hunter harassment.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-03-2015 at 20:59.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Default the picture

I cant seem to abbi.jpgflip this picture over. We hadnt posted it, as she doesnt want to be a braggart. =) And she handled the jerk with grace. It just chapped my hide...

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    I cant seem to abbi.jpgflip this picture over. We hadnt posted it, as she doesnt want to be a braggart. =) And she handled the jerk with grace. It just chapped my hide...
    I'm not pc literate enough to be able to do it for you, but somebody here will be able to flip that pic over for you I'm sure. Again...congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast