Thread: What size dinghy?

Default What size dinghy?

I want to start looking for dinghy to put on top of my 220 OP hewes. Any size/type recommendations? Motor?

Cabin size is 84x95"

I like my Achilles LT-4, super light to get on the cabin top by yourself, also made of Hypalon which holds up very well over time.
    It came with a motor mount but I've never used it, if you want to run a motor you would probably be better of with the Achilles LEX-96.

ak series usually runs a sale at the fall boat show

I've got a ~3meter inflatable with an air floor, weighs ~80#'s. I can't imagine going smaller as to me it's a two person and some gear dinghy. It's rated for 10hp and I'm using an 8 horse kicker which will get one adult on step. My roof is 96" long and the dinghy hangs over a bit but its not an issue.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a hypalon boat, but Costco was blowing them out for $400 and I've gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Get a light dinghy or you'll wish you had later if your throwing it up there by hand.
    Love my Tohatsu 6hp, love my Honda 2hp, and would probably be happy with a Mercury from Bass Pro if the price was right.

In a short raft don't go for speed, as in planing off and running around, IMO. With a short raft it gets very squirrely even with one person when they plane off. Better off saving money and getting lower hp, lighter raft. I have a 78lb raft from Marita and 6hp tohatsu. Put three of us in it and it won't plane anyway. Just me it takes off but becomes scary if I try to go much past planing speed. My experience anyway......
    Bk

I had that same boat, and I used an 8.5' Zodiac with a Yamaha 2.5 fourstroke. One person can carry the boat by them selves. I have also gone to shore with just the oars, it rows well. But don't really plan on bringing more than 2 people in that dinghy. But our use of the OceanPro was for beaching often so we beached it, unloaded and then I went to anchor up and used the zodiac to get back to shore myself. And with just myself I could plane that boat out with the 2.5hp.

Oh the Zodiac's metal transom plate for the kicker scratched the zolatone on the roof so throw a towel under it.

Sobie2

I like the Alaska Series we got,its a 280 if I remember correctly. Air floor and comes in at 60 lbs. I can put it on the roof by myself. It handles okay with a kicker on it but not as good as our previous zodiac style raft. Have not had the AK series in any kind of waves so have no idea how it would do.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default Alaska Series by Gary king Inflatable boats at the Northway Mall Fall boat show.

Bull,

I have a nice display of boats set up right now at the Northway Mall Fall Boat Show. I have my fall early order specials going on through Saturday the 24th of October. The 240 size boat will fit on your 220 OP just right I have both the sport boat and the Tender styles on display and both have special early order pricing for the show.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.

WWW.alaskaseries.com (907) 248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Series Inflatable Boats View Post
    Bull,

I have a nice display of boats set up right now at the Northway Mall Fall Boat Show. I have my fall early order specials going on through Saturday the 24th of October. The 240 size boat will fit on your 220 OP just right I have both the sport boat and the Tender styles on display and both have special early order pricing for the show.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.

WWW.alaskaseries.com (907) 248-2900
    Can't say enough good things about Jim or his boats. I currently have the 270TDS tender, at 50lbs it holds like 900+lbs. He unconditionally guarantees his boats for 5 years will fix even if a bear tears it up, have him tell you the story.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

well alrighty then - I'll stop by tomorrow on my way out to the valley to drop a couple ducks off.