Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Deer, reserved cabins, and rookie hunter

Default PWS Deer, reserved cabins, and rookie hunter

Looking to go out of Whittier next weekend to search for some black tails. Obviously most of the cabins are booked up! First time going out so looking for some advise, do I really need to travel out that far? Was thinking Culross area to keep the boat out of the weather when we're out hunting and for sleeping purposes since I can't get a cabin. Not looking for hunting spots but general areas other than Knight or Montague. Any info will help, thanks and good luck to you other hunters that are going to be out there!
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Try the north end of Perry Island. Both the east and west fingers have good numbers of deer and are pretty well protected most days.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

This weekend or the following? I'll be out on the 10th running from squirrel cove if the weather is good. There are deer close too. Not sure where we are going to focus yet.

Don't pass up Esther Island. There is a fair deer population there. A good protected access point is Quillian Bay, just past the hatchery. The first bight on the left is very protected and a good anchorage. I usually go up fairly close to the cliff face. The ridge between Quillian and the hatchery has some easy access points and there are deer up there. Also if you go up in Esther Pass to Shoestring Cove or a little farther up by where the Pass narrows down there are some access points. Lastly, Squaw Bay, on the mainland just across the south end of Esther Passage has a good deer population. We see deer there quite often when we are gillnetting there.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

My plan is to head out Oct. 8th or 9th and go out for 3 days. His has been all real good advise and it is much appreciated. I'll take everyone advise and come up with a plan and depending on weather I'm hoping to tip a few over. I'll give a follow up when I get back from the trip. Thanks again!
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

HMM That boat looks like one I have seen before?? I guess I better change my name to Tyin 1 On!! Good Luck!! and you know right where to go as me and you have been there before bud!!

When I return from this deployment I will head out in Nov and catch the rut. My advise to you is pack extra clothing and food. Never know when you could get stuck out there due to weather.
    Hunting. Go slow and no need to cover allot of ground. Focus on the old growth in the woods. When I hunt I walk a few yards and then stop and listen and look. I do not focus hardly any time in the open fields. I stay inside the woods. If there is a ton of snow I will look on the beaches.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Just got back from a successful deer hunting trip this weekend. Man that rain sucked on Saturday. Ended up with one buck that day then we got three more yesterday when the sun came out. Overall good time. All the deer are still up high and in the thick.
    Sad part of the whole trip was we found a doe and fawn that someone shot and only took the legs. Looked like they just cut them off hide and all. the rest of both deer still had all the hide. Didn't take any of the neck or ribs or anything. Pretty crappy hunter in my opinion.
    MMSI# 338232859

Hey Rob what part of the sound were you hunting?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I always hunt Naked. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MMSI# 338232859

You get cold? Sorry couldn't resist.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

He did say that the rain on Saturday really sucked. Now we know why.

Congrats on successful hunt, that's terrible to hear that someone would kill see and not take the meat. Been keeping eye on weather and looks like it's suppose to start getting nice tomorrow!
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Looks like I am out of luck until the end of October. You lucky guys that get to go now keep the reports coming.

Don't worry John. We saved you lots of deer. And it only gets better next month. Let me know when you plan on going next.

MMSI# 338232859

I agree, I was out the 1st through the 4th and the rain was miserable. Beautiful blue bird skies Thursday afternoon when we ran out, then rain Friday and Saturday, sometimes a down pour. Rob, I have seen the same thing on Naked Island, 6 or 7 years ago. I found a doe and fawn in the same condition you describe. It disgusts me that there are people out there who do that. I would love to catch them doing that and correct that problem.

Anyone been out looking for deer lately?

Not lately but plan on heading out Thursday morning if the weather is decent

MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Anyone been out looking for deer lately?
    I was out two weeks ago and seen some deer on naked. Herd two different reports from Montague and both were dismal at best. We seen deer everywhere the first week of season they're a bit more skittish now though.

Living like kings

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Not lately but plan on heading out Thursday morning if the weather is decent

Ya I looked at the weather for this weekend thru Wed and it looks okay water wise, but the water falling from the sky put me off. Might try and go about the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast