Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deer

Default deer

Believe it! Deer are in Tok Cutoff Highway. over the weekend my family we drove on Tok Cutoff and Gosh! there were about 2 groups: #1 =4 deer; #2 = 7-8 deer. I was trying to pull out my camera but as soon as i got it out in a Flash they're gone!

About 10 years ago I saw a black bear chasing a deer on the hill sides by Indian near Girdwood. So they are around I guess from one end of the state to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tom907 View Post
    Believe it! Deer are in Tok Cutoff Highway. over the weekend my family we drove on Tok Cutoff and Gosh! there were about 2 groups: #1 =4 deer; #2 = 7-8 deer. I was trying to pull out my camera but as soon as i got it out in a Flash they're gone!
    Interesting. About what mile on the Tok Cutoff?

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    About 10 years ago I saw a black bear chasing a deer on the hill sides by Indian near Girdwood. So they are around I guess from one end of the state to the other.
    My guess is that would have been a Sitka Blacktail that came over the pass from Whittier/Prince William Sound. There have been verified accounts of blacktails as far as Anchorage and numerous times along Turnagain Arm. In the interior it would most likely be a mule deer, as those have been spotted as far west as Fairbanks (and maybe beyond?) on occasion.

Rocky Mountain Mule Deer are well established throughout the central Yukon Territory and up close to the Alaska border so it doesn't seem unrealistic that they could survive somewhere in the interior if they stumbled into good habitat.

Mods may want to move this out of the small game forum so we can see who else has had unusual deer sightings.

There is a verified sighting of Mule Deer between Salcha and Eielson AFB this fall as well as a reasonably well documented sighted of a mountain lion last year.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Mule deer and mountain lion would fall into deleterious exotics correct? i.e. if someone is lucky enough to see a mule deer browsing it's fair game?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Mule deer and mountain lion would fall into deleterious exotics correct? i.e. if someone is lucky enough to see a mule deer browsing it's fair game?
    F&G has addressed this, and to my understanding the answer is no. They haven't been introduced, but rather are naturally expanding their range. I think the intent of the "deleterious exotic" regulation is focused on introduced invasive species. I tend to read the regs the same as you, but apparently F&G officials don't.

"I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    F&G has addressed this, and to my understanding the answer is no. They haven't been introduced, but rather are naturally expanding their range. I think the intent of the "deleterious exotic" regulation is focused on introduced invasive species. I tend to read the regs the same as you, but apparently F&G officials don't.
    So because the turkey down on the K.Penn have been "introduced" instead of naturally spreading, they are considered fair game even if they are surviving...but not mule deer?
    Interesting.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    So because the turkey down on the K.Penn have been "introduced" instead of naturally spreading, they are considered fair game even if they are surviving...but not mule deer?
    Interesting.
    Feral turkey are classified as "unclassified game" (one notch above "deleterious"). Mule Deer and Mountain Lion are neither. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...dfs/smgame.pdf
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

A few years ago, the same year that the potter marsh blacktail buck was noticed, I started seeing deer all over anchorage . In Kincaid park near the lake, jodhpur loop, Kincaid elementary, then we had them in our garden near the bluff off west Dimond. There were always groups of 2-4. Then suddenly, they all vanished. What happened? I think fish and game killed them all. I've always thought wouldn't it be cool to have a hunt able population on the mainland? They can obviously survive. I think they would do very well on the knik flats.

Release Lake Trout

Thats kinda wierd that both of the deer seen were in salcha.

Back in 94 there was a pretty big one seen just south of the Salcha store. I remember it well because I was in the Snowshoe Inn when everbody was talking about and everybody had differant ideas how it got here.

Default deer

If true that they were establishing in anchorage I can see the problem. Deer will favor the lowland warm microclimates with predictably low snow depths (hence your astute observation about knik flats being good habitat) and in the muni they'd have gravitated to the populated parts of the anchorage bowl in the wintertime. Car accidents, etc.

A friend of mine was able to get a really crappy picture of a small mule deer buck crossing the Rich in front of Eielson last week. We figured he wandered over from the group in the Yukon.

A friend of mine just took a picture of a Mule deer Doe just south of Eielson right next to the road this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    If true that they were establishing in anchorage I can see the problem. Deer will favor the lowland warm microclimates with predictably low snow depths (hence your astute observation about knik flats being good habitat) and in the muni they'd have gravitated to the populated parts of the anchorage bowl in the wintertime. Car accidents, etc.
    I spent a lot of time growing up in northern idaho . The winters are not unlike ours in southcentral ,especially of late. You see both the mulies and whitetails survive even during the harshest winters, and they share the habitat with elk as well as moose, which are fairly plentiful in that region.

Of course blacktails are smaller and perhaps less able to handle to severe winters, I still think they would be fine . I understand the point made on vehicle collisions but, I think that's hardly relevant considering how many fools are on the roads these days anyhow. There are people who simply don't know how to drive, especially in winter. The lower 48 deals with it, as we deal with moose. And bears. And drunks. I don't believe deer would have truly caused anymore problems than we already have

Release Lake Trout

i've heard numerous stories about deer in and around Anchorage, but have yet to see one myself. I wish we did have a hunt able population and think Knik area as mentioned would be great. I lived in MT for a while, and the mule deer and whitetails had no problem surviving winter there. While a winter like 2013 may hurt the population, I still don't think it would completely wipe it out.

I stumbled across this 10 year old article and figured some of you might find it interesting:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...453&type=story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast