Thread: Lower Wrangell/ Zimovia

Default Lower Wrangell/ Zimovia

Hello all....first post here. I am looking to hear feedback on this area. Flying in and out.....boat access..... Where to buy supplies...hunting and fishing...a good overview from folks familiar with the area. I will say from experience I do not trust much of what the realtors tell me....want some honest opinions.

City water stops a little before 5 1/2 mile. There are two nice water lots side by side for sale around twelve mile I believe $120,000 each. Zimovia is paved to thirteen mile where it ends and logging roads start. No land for sale on the Tongas logging road system.Let me know what you are looking at or for and I check it for you.Homes and land are spendy here on the road system
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

THanks amigo. This lot is off grid. Will be a summer place for me. I'm retired. Off the zimovia straight by water. I'm a frequent visitor to AK. Hillbilly mountain man ! I have a place up there now...just looking for something in the south east. Can. You drive to the east shore of the straight ? Of course I suppose Wrangell has air service and groceries, this spot would be where I disappear for the summer and fish ! I appreciate any insight.

Earl West cove has a boat ramp on the back channel which is east. Zimovia straight is called west side. Thoms place is south where Zomivia and back channel meet no road. We have a few float planes and two grocery stores.I use a 14' lund with 20h/p for my travels but and 18' with 60h/p jet will get you any place better. We have three big harbors.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great info. ! I talked to the ladies at city hall a while ago...got the scoop on things. This lot is in Thoms Place. My only other question is..how is the hunting and fishing ? Deer. Bear...? I suppose no moose but not sure.
    Last edited by joemama838; 09-30-2015 at 10:45. Reason: Spelling

Had a place down at Thom's back in the late 80's early 90's. Lived in town and went down on the weekends, holidays. Doesn't take long to travel to and from town, get yourself a skiff and keep it in town. I keep thinking one day that just might be the place I want to retire. BTW I'm a real estate broker, but hey I take no offense.

Good...no offense meant. How about the fishing ? Crab...shrimp...what can I expect in the straight ?

Hunting is good with some moose and maybe even a elk that swam over from Etolin. The thing is that Wrangell is a great starting point to many other islands and the mainland just a couple miles away. Great fishing and crab and shrimp if on the right spot. Also remember a place on the water at noon may well be a couple hundred yards from the water at low tide.Look for 24hour waterfront on salt. Land on a creek may be 6' deep a lot of the time but also 6" a few months of the year.

Looks better the more I learn. Anyone familiar with the tide there ? Only pics I have from realtor are obviously low tide..but I have no idea what time of day it was. I know there is a booklet for the tides ...anyone know where I can buy it ?

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thanks Music Man, that tells me what I need to know.

If you have pics the area the logs are piled up is the high mark.

Tell me about winter on Wrangell. I'm familiar with Talkeetna winters. When does the snow start ? Is there a complete freeze and break up ? What about snow machining on the island ?

On the coast line not much snow most years but get up to a thousand feet things change. The salt harbors freeze a few times each year but the tide takes it out. By December the lakes for the most part are safe to ice fish but we are talking inches not feet. Most times a sno-go is the least used toy. Snow can be the first week of October or December at coast and 75% of time its a white Christmas. Average winter temp is probably around 34/35

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    On the coast line not much snow most years but get up to a thousand feet things change. The salt harbors freeze a few times each year but the tide takes it out. By December the lakes for the most part are safe to ice fish but we are talking inches not feet. Most times a sno-go is the least used toy. Snow can be the first week of October or December at coast and 75% of time its a white Christmas. Average winter temp is probably around 34/35
    I can share some rain with you if you'd like? Lol

King ya'll should be dry with all the rain we got.Did see you had 7.2" a few days ago,lucky it wasn't snow

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    King ya'll should be dry with all the rain we got.Did see you had 7.2" a few days ago,lucky it wasn't snow
    Correct on the snow, lol. Our 48 hour total for rain was over 10". Talk about swollen creeks.......