Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We have a problem... Illegal kills in 15c.

Default We have a problem... Illegal kills in 15c.

Okay, so overall we had 110 legal moose taken in 15c, but THERE WERE 29 ILLEGAL KILLS WE KNOW ABOUT!!! Based on what our trooper saw in the field( and yes, despite what some post here our trooper was in the field nearly every day of the season) there are no doubt more kills we don't or won't know about.
    Only a handful of the 29 were over 46", the vast majority were in the 30" class. It's not like hunters can't judge 50", it's like they aren't even checking...
    So what's to be done? Our moose population can't withstand this harvest for long, and all the gains we have made with closures and antler restrictions will be for naught.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default We have a problem... Illegal kills in 15c.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Okay, so overall we had 110 legal moose taken in 15c, but THERE WERE 29 ILLEGAL KILLS WE KNOW ABOUT!!! Based on what our trooper saw in the field( and yes, despite what some post here our trooper was in the field nearly every day of the season) there are no doubt more kills we don't or won't know about.
    Only a handful of the 29 were over 46", the vast majority were in the 30" class. It's not like hunters can't judge 50", it's like they aren't even checking...
    So what's to be done? Our moose population can't withstand this harvest for long, and all the gains we have made with closures and antler restrictions will be for naught.
    I'm going to let you fight this one out HomerDave, I tried to get people to see the point on the sister thread and I was bashed badly. Good luck trying to get the attenion of fair hunt and the legal hunts.

Does anyone know what the deal is with a float or fly out hunt and returning to town with an illegal moose? Is the pilot liable to call the troopers if he loads a 44 inch bull with 2 brow tines on both sides into his plane and transports the hunters home?

I recently ran into this problem where i hunt, two guys floated down the river with a moose they thought was legal but wasn't. I confronted them and had a long friendly talk with them and explained why there moose wasn't legal. I told them i wasn't sure if there pilot would have to do something about the situation so i offered them the chance to call themselves in before the moose left the lake, thinking that it would be in there best interest to do so. They said they would contact the troopers in talkeetna when they landed there. This was a few days ago and i have not called to see if they indeed did but it sure is frustrating to hear about all these moose being killed and then seeing one right in front of you.

Yes, a licensed transporter is required by law to report violations.
    but PLEASE let's try to keep this thread as close to the topic of 15c as possible.

Just close all moose hunting on the Kenai Peninsula for the next five years, with a State of Alaska Harvest Tag. Then open it for spike only for the next five years.

Dave,percentage wise 15a was worse than 15c the total was not as high but a bigger percentage. I think that a bigger hammer needs to drop on many of these.

In unit three we average a 100 per year with two illegal so community needs are filled.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

In general about 10% of crimes are ever found about and I apply the 10x estimate to poached moose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Just close all moose hunting on the Kenai Peninsula for the next five years, with a State of Alaska Harvest Tag. Then open it for spike only for the next five years.
    Close the Kenai to moose hunting for 5 years then open it to special permits to anyone that has killed a bear or wolf in unit 15 or 7 during that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I'm going to let you fight this one out HomerDave, I tried to get people to see the point on the sister thread and I was bashed badly. Good luck trying to get the attenion of fair hunt and the legal hunts.
    are you implying several of the moose categorized as illegal were in fact legal?

Perhaps it needs to become a registration hunt and in order to obtain a registration permit you need to attend a hunter education class, part of which is devoted to identifying a legal vs a nonlegal animal.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Perhaps it needs to become a registration hunt and in order to obtain a registration permit you need to attend a hunter education class, part of which is devoted to identifying a legal vs a nonlegal animal.
    I "might" be ok with that if, and ONLY if, they do it everywhere else illegal moose are shot......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quit trying to make people figure out what a 50" or better moose is. Change to a simpler configuration to make it easier to take a legal animal, and there will be LESS waste and violation. Notice I said "less", not "no", because the sign shooting crowd loves a live moose to shoot holes in even more than a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Quit trying to make people figure out what a 50" or better moose is. Change to a simpler configuration to make it easier to take a legal animal, and there will be LESS waste and violation. Notice I said "less", not "no", because the sign shooting crowd loves a live moose to shoot holes in even more than a sign.

I will be honest.. I didn't even attempt moose hunting my first two years here (in the 50 inch rule areas) due to the intimidation of judging a legal bull.
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    The problem is not the law it's the law breaker. It's not imposing or even that hard to judge a legal moose. It takes some studying and integrity to pass on the ones that are borderline. I won't shoot a moose that I judge at 50 however I will shoot one that I am confident is over with enough marine for error. We don't blame the .08bac for people getting a DUI. We don't lower the age of consent to make less pedophiles or statutory rapests. And we don't change what counts as murder to make less murderers. The two problems i see arethe jackasses that don't hunt ethically or have any clue what ethics are. Second it's the punishments that too lax concerning our wildlife.

for every inch too small under 48" add $500 to the fine. And community service time.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    The problem is not the law it's the law breaker. It's not imposing or even that hard to judge a legal moose. It takes some studying and integrity to pass on the ones that are borderline. I won't shoot a moose that I judge at 50 however I will shoot one that I am confident is over with enough marine for error. We don't blame the .08bac for people getting a DUI. We don't lower the age of consent to make less pedophiles or statutory rapests. And we don't change what counts as murder to make less murderers. The two problems i see arethe jackasses that don't hunt ethically or have any clue what ethics are. Second it's the punishments that too lax concerning our wildlife.
    Sorry but I see no comparison between laws regarding rape, driving drunk and murder and taking a 49.5" moose.

Open the season earlier, make it shorter, and be any bull. There are more than one way to control the harvest and allow opportunity for everyone.

Generally, there is a slob hunter problem...

The comparison is not of the laws, but rather the changing of laws to result in less law breaking - a good comparison here.

Judging moose is not terribly difficult ... for many, walking away from a squeaker is. Others are either ignorant of the law or too stupid to know the difference. Unfortunately only one of those conditions had a remedy and I am certain the incurable malady holds the majority stake in sub-legal moose take.

Stupid hurts…it’s time to make stupid hurt more.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast