Thread: Have to file a report on a permit that i did not have a clue i had!

Angry Have to file a report on a permit that i did not have a clue i had!

While filling out my harvest ticket online I see that I had a moose permit that I need to fill out as well. Well I am like most when the permits come out and I am on the computer within the hour that they post. It showed that I did not get any draw permits, got a email that I did not get any draw permits. it still shows that I did not get any draw permits. Now I have to fill out a permit online for a hunt that I did not know I had and will not be able to put in for it next year. I would like some answers.

I would find that email and bring it in to ADF&G.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Been on the phone and did get some questions answered. #1 they gave out more permits than they started with. #2 If you apply with a 2014 license they will not send your permit to you. #3 There was no notification that I did get a permit through email or mail so I was not aware of it. I said it would be nice to be able to apply next year for the same hunt but I am not expecting that to happen. It is kinda a moot point because we did get a moose, now if it was DS123 that would be a different story. On a side note they said they haven't heard of this happening before.

I just got a reminder to report black bear and caribou for 2014, but I already did it online. Seems like the system is a bit buggy.

My two sister-in-law(s) had a similar situation this year. When you searched their names on the individual lookup page, both said they won DS203. One got an email saying she won DS203, the other did not receive an email at all. When you searched their names on the master list of all winners, the one who did not get an email was listed as winning DS203, while the one who received the email was not listed at all. We contacted ADF&G immediately and received written (email) confirmation that both would receive a permit.

When it came time for permits to be mailed out, only the one listed as winning in the master list received a permit in the mail. After a few tense phone conversations, the other DS203 tag was issued.

A couple other interesting tidbits. They are twins, so they have the same birthday. They did not apply as a party hunt, both applied individually. When you counted the number of DS203 tags awarded in the master list, the number matched the number they said they would issue (60, I believe), which does not include the additional one issued to my sister-in-law.

I have no idea what happened and I am not trying to stir up controversy, but it definitely seems as though there was some kind of glitch in the system. To ADF&G's credit, they did the right thing and issued the second DS203 tag to our family, no matter what the reason of the error was.

Does sound like there is a bug in the system. I too am not trying to stir the pot but requested if there is a problem it needs to be fixed. It will be interesting if more people find they got a drawing permit when they fill out their harvest report online.
    Last edited by pa18tony; 09-30-2015 at 09:00. Reason: add

If I found I did indeed win a permit but wasn't on the list of winners and obviously didn't get an email notification, but had to report for the hunt after it closed, I would certainly be doing some serious digging with in person meetings at adfg asking what in the world is going on and trying to get the permit for the following year issued.

They know the issue.
    I have been a sore looser many times but this is the first time being a sore winner.

When I went to report my sheep and moose harvest tickets today, I saw that my brown bear tag was marked as *FTR - Failure to Report. The only problem is that the season is still open and will be until May. I scrolled down and read that because it is marked as FTR that I will be ineligible for drawing, registration, and Tier hunts next year. Awesome.

I'm assuming that F&G will fix this and that it won't affect my results in the draw, but I've got to say I'm a little frustrated to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    When I went to report my sheep and moose harvest tickets today, I saw that my brown bear tag was marked as *FTR - Failure to Report. The only problem is that the season is still open and will be until May. I scrolled down and read that because it is marked as FTR that I will be ineligible for drawing, registration, and Tier hunts next year. Awesome.

I'm assuming that F&G will fix this and that it won't affect my results in the draw, but I've got to say I'm a little frustrated to see this.

Update on this post - I wrote F&G last night, and after a couple emails back and forth with someone from the Wildlife Information Office, I received the following reply:

Below is the reply I just received from our programmer. It looks like they got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

Back in July, someone accidentally ran the second reminder for this hunt. Most of the information was cleared up, but the ticket status entries (which were viewable if you had clicked on Brian's name in the lookup you posted) showed that the second reminder had been generated in July.

I have removed these ticket status records and his record now appears clear on the internet.
    Pretty impressed with the speed and helpfulness of F&G staff in addressing this.

I got an email reminder to file a hunt report on my cow tag which didn't even open for three weeks. The email came on Sunday, Monday morning I got a call from our regional bio saying he was aware of the error and by Tuesday I had gotten an email saying they realized the mistake and had taken care of it.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/