Thread: Beaver trapping Unit 7

Default Beaver trapping Unit 7

Does anyone know the reasoning that the BOG opened beaver trapping in unit 7 one month early? Thanks in advance for your replys.

More than likely someone put in a proposal asking for them to do so and ADF&G didn't object and neither did others.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    More than likely someone put in a proposal asking for them to do so and ADF&G didn't object and neither did others.
    Thanks for the reply otterman. I understand the methodollogy of the proposal. In that unit,sometimes in late November, beaver hides are not close to being prime. What is the reasoning in openening the season one month earlier. Please excuse any typo,s.

With the current price of beaver most guys are getting them for the meat and selling the hides in a manner other than to a fur buyer and one may not need a prime hide for. They want the meat to eat or for bait. With the price so low everything is being done to encourage any amount of harvest because if one thing is true given any amount of time a beaver will eat itself out of a place to live and an over population of beaver can be devastating to a areas ecosystem. Current auction prices are looking horrible I mean like $20 for prime blankets at best beaver are probably the most labor intensive critter out there to trap especially through the ice I think the BOG has become aware of this and is willing to look at most seasons that will generate some harvest. Willow hooping beaver is a popular thing and you certainly don't need a prime hide for that and can get a whole lot more for them that way or even tanned, here a tanned fall beaver blanket sized pelt will bring $120
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Yes otterman, thats kind of what I was thinking. Last year while Caribou hunting on the Denali hiway, noticed LOTS of beaver activity. I checked the trapping regs, and saw that the season opened on Sept. 25? When I got back to Anchorage I went to ADF&G . I asked why the season was open so early, as the hides were not prime. I was told it was because of all the DLP complaints from that general area, ie: flooding roads cabins etc. They wanted to give locals ample time to "trap em out" . They figured most folks were just shooting them anyways! Thanks again for your comments.

Joseph