Thread: Transporter in McGrath

Default Transporter in McGrath

Just returned from a moose hunt east of Ruby. Lots of moose! My partner got a 53 inch bull. We were on a small lake. But we had other planes land there and a couple hunters walk in from a slough to the north. After talking to some guides out of Galena and another hunter I think my next hunt will be a float. Probably just going to buy a Legend from Larry Bartlett.

On to my question: I am looking for a transporter in McGrath. The catch is I need one with both a wheeled plane and one on floats. I left Magnuson a voice mail but haven't heard back. Does anyone know if they have that?

In the meantime I figured it couldn't hurt to ask all of the fine folks on here. I wasn't able to find any other transporters out of there. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Barney has a 180 on wheels only but talk with him. He might have some other options for you. He rents rafts also. Great pilot and friend. Flew with him this last Sat. His # in case you have the old # is 631-2286.

Willow Air used to fly out of McGrath during moose season - I don't know if they still do or not. It would be pretty easy to check.

Steve White, or Peggy @ Willow Air...........give them a call.

As a Montana outfitter I have talked to Steve many times while exhibiting at outdoor shows. He and I have discussed some remote hunts before. Back then everything was out of Willow and I didn't know he was now providing services from McGrath so THANKS.

But... I see he wants $5200 per man for a self guided hunt (including raft rental) That's 10.4 grand for two guys. I'm no greenhorn so I don't pay those rates. I fly with transporters who offer hourly charter rates. Heck 40 mile only wants 2K per hunter. His services are probably worthwhile for folks who don't have a clue where to go and possibly need advice on equipment and hunting tactics etc. I'm going to give Steve a ring though and see if he is interested in working with me. If he has planes sitting in McGrath I can be flexible on dates so hopefully we can work something out.

One more question: Can Barney at Magnuson land that wheeled plane on gravel bars or landing strips only? Anyone?

Barney can land anywhere safe and within his comfort zone. He told me he rents rafts and includes flights for $3500. Great guy to work with..

[QUOTE=Indian Summer;1505315
    But... I see he wants $5200 per man for a self guided hunt (including raft rental) That's 10.4 grand for two guys.

Whatever the market will bear. As long as he can fill his schedule at $5200 per, I wouldn't expect to see the prices go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

Whatever the market will bear. As long as he can fill his schedule at $5200 per, I wouldn't expect to see the prices go down.
    I hear ya' Gary. And believe me I'm aware of the costs of doing business like that so it wouldn't surprise me or hurt my feelings if he passed on an offer. But it can't hurt to ask. If I can work around his schedule and he can make money he might be willing to listen.

Thanks TrailblazerSteve!