Thread: 55", 5x5 Moose

Default 55", 5x5 Moose

Just got back Sat. Had a blast!

Missed out on this guy. By the time I got the boat pulled over he was gone and wouldn't answer to any calling..

I hunt an any bull area so I passsed many easy eaters...

Very nice sir! Congrats!!! Did this big boy come to your calling or stand and let you poke a hole in him after you spotted him from the boat?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great bull! Looks like a good spot for moose camp.
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Congrats on the bull. You do a really good job on the field care of your meat.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Just got back Sat. Had a blast!

Missed out on this guy. By the time I got the boat pulled over he was gone and wouldn't answer to any calling..

I hunt an any bull area so I passsed many easy eaters...

Awesome!!!! Great bull!

Release Lake Trout

You chose wisely, my friend. Congrats!

Looks like some great eats there! Congratulations!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Nice moose Steve. Nice feeling to put meat in the freezer this time of year. I bet you had a lot of fun!

Default 55", 5x5 Moose

Amazing bull! I also agree on the great meat care. Looks like you have it the moose hunting thing down.

Way to go, Steve! Sounds like an action packed hunt!

Thanks fellas. The moose this year seemed not nearly responsive to calls as normal in years past. Don't know what it was as it seemed like perfect condtions and same time frame but there were MANY more moose showing them selves in general this year. In fact I was able to only call in one moose one evening and I didn't know it till the following day. After filling my tag, the wife wanted to go for a boat ride one night to do a little trophy hunting so we set out for the hour long boat ride up river to a slough that is knowned to offer big bulls every year. Well I planned it to take off at 6:00pm, get to the slough by 7, call for an hour and then hunt the last hour of daylight back. Well everything went to plan, got to the mouth of the slough at 7:04pm, motored up to a very large beaver house and tied up. Waited a few minutes for things to settle down and then started to scrap and break with just a few grunts. Waited about 10 minutes in perfect silence thinking things where feeling very moosy and then I let out a very whiny cow call. Suddenly we hear a boat coming down river. I tell the wife that I would prefer to get in front of the boat coming down so we can hunt the last hour of daylight in front of them. Mistake. The next day, a guy with his 15 year old daughter floated into town with a very nice 64" moose in the raft along with all smiles. After getting the full story of their 5 day float, it turns out they came around the corner of the slough I was calling at exactly 20 minutes after I left and the moose was just standing there not 20 feet away from the beaver house I was calling from. His daughter shot her first moose! I was very happy for them but learned to maybe stay put next time after a calling session. As far as meat care, I have always took pride in my meat care and will do anything in my power to bring it out of the field in the best shape possible. Baffles me how I see people using chainsaws and or leaving the hide on a moose. I just don't think it cools properly leaving the hide on plus with all the rolling around moose do in wallows, I just don't buy it keeps the meat cleaner leaving the hide on. Plus it adds weight to packing. I have had several people commit on how beautifull the condtion of my meat that comes from the field...

congratulations! Nice hunt.

Yeah congrats nice beautiful pics. Makes me wish I didnt get sick during hunting season, but the wife ttok a cow in August so were good for meat.

dang……..consider me jealous! nice job.