Thread: Shipping Antlers

Default Shipping Antlers

Pardon if a thread has already discussed this, but I have had some calls this fall concerning antler shipments, mostly to the Lower 48. I realize that this is too late for most hunters, but it's something to file away for next season.

Years ago most airlines accepted antlers as checked baggage, and would usually charge a separate fee for them. That all came to a halt a few years ago, for some reason, and hunters had to look for alternatives, some of which are very expensive. Shipping through an expediter / taxidermist can cost upwards of $600-$700 or even more for crating and shipping from Fairbanks or Anchorage to your taxidermist.

This fall, many airlines started accepting antlers in checked baggage again. Alaska Airlines charges $75 and Delta charges around $150, I am told. As before, you must protect antler tines from poking holes in other baggage, and you must completely wrap skulls and skull plates in plastic to prevent them from leaking fluid. Antler tines are typically covered in foam, cardboard, or garden hose that is taped to the antlers. In some cases, antlers can be split and / or nested together with other antlers, perhaps saving money in the process. I work at Alaska Airlines and am seeing lots of antlers coming through these days. Pretty cheap way to get your trophies home, and I am glad it's back!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I was never aware of a time AK Air didn't accept antlers as baggage. they liked how we did our caribou with garden hose and shrink wrap last month.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are okay with splitting the skull a bicycle box works pretty good for checking antlers on your flight. You can put a lot of other clothes and stuff in there also.

What bout hides???Can they ride with the antlers or do they have to go into a meat box????

Most prefer a meat box. Hides almost always start leaking blood by the destination. Much better to seal them up in a meat box. Worst case is to say have a layover in Seatlle or Salt lake, and have the handlers bump your stuff there cuz it's leaking blood. Now your folks at anchorage can't help you out, and you are at your destination with your hide stuck inbetween. Don't risk that. Same goes for your skull plate. I worked FedEx for 24 years and shipped countless sets of antlers out of Alaska. Many times folks would drop them off in the afternoon. By morning we had maggots all over the warehouse floor. And no choice but to bump the antlers and call the shipper to come and pick them up and try again. Clean your skull plates up GOOD!! And wrap them very very tightly with multiple layers of plastic. Then don't be cheap with that roll of duct tape. Use the whole **** roll. You don't want it held up half way across the country cuz you saved a few minutes or a few dollars. Clean it up. Seal it up. Hides frozen solid ideally and in freezer boxes well sealed. nobody wants to lose their trophy. Not all handlers are hunters either. In fact, a lot of anti hunters. Just don't chance not doing your prep right to begin with.

Great advice above. Meat boxes can be found in grocery stores in Anchorage or Fairbanks. Be sure to line the box with a heavy-duty plastic bag first (many boxes come with them). Be prepared to pay excess baggage charges, especially with moose capes and bear hides; they're well over 50 pounds when they're green and salted.

another alternative is to use a local taxidermist / expediter. They'll finish up any fleshing that needs done, dry the hid, and ship it to your taxidermist or tannery for you for a nominal fee. I recommend this nearly exclusively with all of my clients trophies. Your hides are guaranteed to be handled correctly and without a chance of spoilage.

Check ck the Directory on the site here for a complete listing of folks who provide this service.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay