Thread: Best Shallow Water River Boat

Default Best Shallow Water River Boat

Looks like I'm going to need another boat next spring and need all the advice I can get. I'm totally a novice.

Will be looking for a flat bottom river boat that draws the least amount of water. It's quite shallow where we intend to keep the boat. Plan to run a 30 to 40 hp jet. Probably only be used on a 3 or 4 mile stretch where the current isn't that strong. Lastly I want to keep the cost down.

Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a big fan of a jet boats in the 14'-18' range with jet tunnels. 30-40 hp isn't a lot but you can plane out two people in with as a 60/40 jet in an 18' but with no gear. If you are running a sandy bottom you could also run a mud motor (a few folks on here tout those but I have never tried one). If you are running rocks then get a jet.

I think I have seen a few brands of jet tunnel 16'ers that run well with two people using that small 40/30 Yamaha four stroke and it seems like a great motor. Same goes for the Merc 60/40 four stroke.

I ran a SeaArk 1652 MVJT with a Tohatsu 50/35 jet that could go almost any where. It was a really great with two people and a regular amount of gear for a day trip. It was ok with 3 people but you had to work it hard. I now have an SeaArk 1860 MVJT with a Honda 90/65 that can haul my family of 5 with gear for a day trip just fine.

Bottom line, get a skiff with a tunnel. If you run by yourself put your battery, fuel tank, and gear as far forward as possible to reduce bow rise, it helps you plane out faster.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

Bottom line, get a skiff with a tunnel. If you run by yourself put your battery, fuel tank, and gear as far forward as possible to reduce bow rise, it helps you plane out faster.

Sobie2
    Agree completely. Have Gary at Great Land welding in Palmer build one for ya.
    Bk

Thanks for the input. I have a Cobra with a 115/80 Yamaha that runs up and down the Yenta with ease. I'm really looking for something like the guides use up Lake Creek. I'm going to leave it on the bank all summer and don't want something so expensive I will be worrying about. One of those flat bottom Jon boats would probably do what I need.

Boat prices always go UP in the spring. Lots of jon boats, on Craigs List listed with "end of season" prices right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Thanks for the input. I have a Cobra with a 115/80 Yamaha that runs up and down the Yenta with ease. I'm really looking for something like the guides use up Lake Creek. I'm going to leave it on the bank all summer and don't want something so expensive I will be worrying about. One of those flat bottom Jon boats would probably do what I need.

See what the guides are running and get one of those boats, seems trivial if thats what you want to do?!
    Bk

I have a great running 1994 Yamaha 40 HP 2 stroke for sale. It currently has a prop lower unit but you could put a jet on it and sell the prop lower. Has a brand new prop. Come's with controls. Was inspected by J Kimberly Services this spring and he had nothing but good things to say about it. Has a new water pump with less than 10 hours on it. This could be a great match for you. I bet you could find a 16 ft jon boat for under $1500 if you shop craigslist. I'm asking $1500 OBO for my motor. I was planning to winterize it this week but i would be happy to start it up for you before I winterize it. Here is a link to the craigslist ad:

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bpo/5225612024.html