Thread: Who else is gearing up for Predators on the Kenai?

Default Who else is gearing up for Predators on the Kenai?

I'm getting reports from all sorts of my friends about the numbers of coyotes and wolves seen this past year on the Southern Peninsula. Me thinks I'm building a tree stand or two this year.
    Anyone else going to try and thin the pack? What are you thinking method wise and rifle wise? I'm going to hold off on trapping where I'm going to be at this year as I'm going to be a little closer to trails and dogs etc. I'm thinking calling and decoys.

Mountaintrekker

I've called in hundreds of coyotes in the lower 48.
    Only went out for 2 stands last year (same day). But I did kill a few.
    I really want a wolf or 5! Forest and swamp calling are a little different then what I'm use to.
    If you want a calling partner this fall or winter hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im wanting to get into it more this winter myself. Id be willing to tag along or lend a hand if anyone needs it. Ive got sleds, snowshoes, etc. Let me know!
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

I have never done it but looks like I may have some time this winter and am going to give dogs and maybe a wolf a try.

Been ponderin' over buying myself a Christmas present this year for this very reason...........now if I can just decide on what caliber?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default 204 ruger?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Been ponderin' over buying myself a Christmas present this year for this very reason...........now if I can just decide on what caliber?
    Ive taken plenty of fox, and a few coyote with my 17hmr. I just picked up a model 700 in .204 ruger. hoping i can stumble upon something to try it out on. so far on paper i am very pleased.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

If you're wanting a fur friendly caliber that will both reach out and put em down, then go with a 6.5 creedmor loaded with hpbt's or amax bullets. It's not a fast round though. If you want speed to cut down on leads then go with a 22-250 or .243 loaded with 58 gr vmax.

I've spent the vast majority of the last 9 years calling predators in the lower 48. I would definitely stay away from .204 and smaller on coyote size and larger, unless you're good enough to get a head shot every time...

Quote Originally Posted by orion94us View Post
    If you're wanting a fur friendly caliber that will both reach out and put em down, then go with a 6.5 creedmor loaded with hpbt's or amax bullets. It's not a fast round though. If you want speed to cut down on leads then go with a 22-250 or .243 loaded with 58 gr vmax.

I've spent the vast majority of the last 9 years calling predators in the lower 48. I would definitely stay away from .204 and smaller on coyote size and larger, unless you're good enough to get a head shot every time...
    I've pretty much decided on the 22-250. Now it's just a matter of what brand. I like a lot of em'...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've pretty much decided on the 22-250. Now it's just a matter of what brand. I like a lot of em'...!!!......lol
    Ahh Yes, now the real quandry...LOL

You wanting a bolt or AR platform?

For predator hunting, I switched to a an AR (Creedmor is an AR10 platform) platform years ago. Too many times trying to pull doubles out of hard charging multiples made that decision easy. Not sure if a guy will see much of that double, triple, quad or more coming in at once type action up here though.