Thread: upper little su trout/whitefish

Default upper little su trout/whitefish

Not sure how many put any time in the upper little Su from shrock rd to hatchers. I have for the last 17 years very diligently yet I'm only 29. The last few years I haven't hit my favorite part of the river much or walked the whole area which would be around mile 7 or 8 of Wasilla fishhook. The fish usually hold up in certain holes that I'm sure have changed in time. I've always walked away with a smile some nice pics and a couple tasty whitefish. Its that time of year and was wondering if anyone else has had any luck. Even with the rain it was still pretty clear and mid to low levels today.

I drove up to Hatcher Pass this weekend for the first time. Everywhere I stopped I looked in the water and wondered if there were fish in there. Next time I will have to fish it and stop wondering. The water looked clear.

I grew up close to the Schrock portion of the Little Su and spent plenty of time there as a kid but never even thought about fishing it. In recent years as I have gotten more and more into flyfishing, I have always considered giving it a try but haven't to this point. Recently, I had somebody telling me about some nice trout they had caught out of there. I would be interested to hear more about your experience there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's go! Anyone want to explore the area?

My plan was to do so today. But.... I don't think fishing from the trees is gunna work out. Its flooded to the point you can't walk anywhere but the bushes and usually you can literally walk the river itself. Hopefully when it goes back down the fish wont be pushed to far out.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    Not sure how many put any time in the upper little Su from shrock rd to hatchers. I have for the last 17 years very diligently yet I'm only 29. The last few years I haven't hit my favorite part of the river much or walked the whole area which would be around mile 7 or 8 of Wasilla fishhook. The fish usually hold up in certain holes that I'm sure have changed in time. I've always walked away with a smile some nice pics and a couple tasty whitefish. Its that time of year and was wondering if anyone else has had any luck. Even with the rain it was still pretty clear and mid to low levels today.
    Some whitefish huh? What kind of flies do you use for whitefish? I've caught them incidentally on occasion using nymphs or ESLs, but I've never really targeted them. Please describe your experience with them.

Egg patterns have worked best for me. I seem to always find then sitting in deep holes with sandy bottoms following fast narrow stretches. I have also found most the time its imposable to feel the bite so that takes some time. All in all if you find a good couple holes you will have a full day of catching and fish the whole river you walk as you get lucky with a monster trout or dolly every now and then.