Thread: Mushy Halibut

Default Mushy Halibut

I just ran into this from Fish an Game BOOK look at page 92 about
    Mushy Halibut page 92 you might have to use copy an paste SID

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...sease_book.pdf

Got it. But when I went there it was Page 96 on my machine rather than Page 92. Good read.

Browmbear I was looking at the bottom of the page an that is what is on it sorry for the mix up 92 on the bottom of the page an 96
    on the page counter on your computer sorr bout the mix up SID

I saw that after the fact, but failed to clarify. Thanks! Either way, not particularly nice on the table, but it won't hurt you.

Caught our first halibut of the season trolling kings out of Homer today. About ten pounds. Looked normal , but flesh was mushy, and white. Hope this isn't a sign of what to expect this summer.

Were you up pretty shallow? We mostly see them in the shallows in spring.

We were pretty shallow, about 60 feet. Caught it at 35' on a fly behind a flasher off the Bluffs. The good news is we did find a few kings. Not crazy like earlier this fall, but still plenty to stink up a pan!

Cook Inlet beach fishing has produced a few halibut earlier than normal this year but almost all are "soft" or "mushy". I got one that looked borderline but when we cooked it up it wasn't very good. Also, got a report this week that a boat limit out in Kachemak Bay was also mushy and they turned loose some that were obviously mushy. I'm not liking what I'm hearing so far and hope it's not a sign of what's ahead for this summer. Any other reports out there. How about Kodiak, Seward or PWS?

Quote Originally Posted by AKPacman View Post
    .....I got one that looked borderline but when we cooked it up it wasn't very good.....
    What exactly now are you looking for before you release it.....lice all over, just by feel of the meat? I don't get out as often as I'd like anymore, so I want to make darn sure it's gonna be mushy before I release it. May have released a few nice ones last year that I perhaps shouldn't have. Is there a dead give away on a fish that's going to be mushy?....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Any mottling of grey specks on the white side seems to be one indicator for me. Also the presence of sand fleas. The thickness of the meat in the tail is also one of my signs. Lay the fish flat, if the tail is flat and thin, let it go. If the tail is plump and the fish is " thick" , into the box it goes. In general, I've noticed that most of the good ones are very dark as well. I've also not seen anything over 25 lbs. or so to be mushy.

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    I've also not seen anything over 25 lbs. or so to be mushy.
    Kinda watch for bigger fish in the shallows in early season though. First week of May last year we got one that would have weighed 50-55# if it was healthy, while trolling for kings clear up in 15' of water. Didn't fight much, skinny, sand fleas, mottling on the light side, you name it. Bet it didn't weigh much over 35#. Never know, because over the side it went.