Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knik River Run - Anyone up for it?

Default Knik River Run - Anyone up for it?

Wanting to do a run up the Knik this coming weekend. Ran it about 5 times this summer and would like to run in a group and meet some people.

Let me know

Sam

Ok, we are running Wednesday evening about 5pm if anyone wants to run from the highway up.

I am tentatively planning a run on Thursday evening from the highway and heading up. It will only be my second time putting my boat in there and the first time I only went a mile or two up. Beautiful in there! I'm running an 18-ft Jon with a 60/40 2 stroke. If I go, I'll have my wife and kids.

Ckreitel,

What time are you running and do you want company? We may wait as the weather is supposed to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Ok, we are running Wednesday evening about 5pm if anyone wants to run from the highway up.
    You're really intending to go at 5 pm in the evening. Baring anybody getting stuck (hopefully no one) you may see some sun setting before returning to the boat launch.

I am actually, I have the route down pretty good. I am also taking horse power incase we get in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    You're really intending to go at 5 pm in the evening. Baring anybody getting stuck (hopefully no one) you may see some sun setting before returning to the boat launch.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I am actually, I have the route down pretty good. I am also taking horse power incase we get in trouble.
    It should be a good run then, been to the Glacier many times, but my work schedule has me side lined until next spring. Have fun

375, did you go yesterday? How was the water? How high did you go? I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. We are planning to go tonight. We will probably leave Anchorage between 3:30 and 4...

We didn't make it. Work seems to get in the way of my ambitious plans. We are going Saturday though rain or shine and I plan to go all the way to the glacier.

Let me know how it went. I have a pretty good GPS trail up there now.

I miss running the Knik. GlacierJet was my favorite non fishing job ever.

Leaving the bridge at 10:30 am tomorrow Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how was the run last saturday? How was the water? Did you make it up to the glacier? I wonder if there is still enough water left for my phantom to make it up there?
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    So how was the run last saturday? How was the water? Did you make it up to the glacier? I wonder if there is still enough water left for my phantom to make it up there?
    You're boat can run skinny can't think of a fall or spring run you've gotten stuck by running the channel.

I'm planning to leave from the glenn highway bridge tomorrow at 4. Not sure how far we'll make it before we have to turn around before dark. Plan is to head upstream until we have to turn around to make it back to the bridge by dark.

Guys,

We ran it Saturday and Sunday and it was pretty epic. Takes me an hour and 15 to get to the glacier and about an hour back running moderate and not hard. It was great weather on Saturdaya and Amazing on Sunday. I had no issues running at all accept one spot I touched some gravel between the 2 bridges when you cross from the left side to the right just past where the Matanuska dumps in. At that point I figured out you have to go wide left and it was all good. Didn't see anyone else up there accept airplanes on both days.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/933144...7659539331615/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/933144...7659539331615/

Looks like that was an engagement trip! Congrats!

Looks like a stock photo from flickr, got any real up-to-date photo's,,, been to the glaicer 20+ times and it surly doesn't look like that in the summer or fall. Jusy saying

Looks like a stock photo from flickr, got any real up-to-date photo's,,, been to the glaicer 20+ times and it surly doesn't look like that in the summer or fall. Jusy saying
    Past run by other boaters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxks-g9ldY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXMcSDAx6o

Pick up a Canon 5D mark III camera and lets go for a boat ride and I will show you how to shoot.

I did run a buddy up and photographed his engagement last Sunday.

It's all angles Armed Alaskan. look at the shoot date on the photo. It's all there

Awesome video with a Go Pro. Notice the sun location? Right in the lens. Notice where the photos at the glacier were taken from? near the water.

Photography is all a play of light #1 then angles from which you shoot, you will never get in the full glacier from ground level like this video and lastly a Go Pro doesn't even cost as much as a good tripod. Mid day in the spring and summer it is rough to shoot ice especially with a blue sky. Tons of glare and you need filters to knock it down.

A few clouds in the sky is way better on a glacier to photograph and if you want good waterfall shots go on a lightly raining day.

You can get good pictures with almost any camera if you follow those rules. Great pictures though come from the eye of the beholder and a good camera with good glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast