Thread: Kodiak Road System Deer

Default Kodiak Road System Deer

Heading to Kodiak October 16th through the 19th for a long weekend of deer hunting, and I would absolutely love any pointers anyone has for my partner and I. I know that for deer, we'll be pretty early as far as timing goes, but it's the best that a couple of college kids can do without missing too much class. I've hunted the road system once when I was very young, and remember it vaguely but not well enough to be confident these days. I understand that much of the road system has gone to native land since then, but we're absolutely willing to put the miles on our boots to get into some huntable, public country. We aren't exactly looking for monsters either, a couple of spikes would be absolutely fine with us. If anyone has any suggestions at all on how we can maximize our chances of coming home successful, I'd love to hear them. General access points to public land, elevation ranges to find deer, any information at all is helpful. I also hear that it may or may not be worth it to buy access to the native land, does anyone have any insight on that? Thanks a bunch in advance for any info, can't wait to be back down there giving it a shot!
    Ryan from Wasilla

I posted this on the other Kodiak deer thread, but here it is again. These maps show land ownership and trail right of ways. D-2, D-3, C-2, and C-3 covers most of the road system.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

If you decide to buy a trespass pass, be sure they allow you to hunt on the land prior to paying. For instance, Eklutna inc. (local) will not allow hunting at all on their lands. I hear some of the native corporations do allow hunting but the fees vary greatly depending on the animal targeted.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, it's just the way it is in a lot of areas.

With lack of snow, a lot of the deer will still be up high. Good luck with your hunt. I'm headed there myself later on.

posted this on the other Kodiak thread...

Don't worry about the Lesnoi land, plenty off access through it on public trails. Not to early, deer are here, seeing plenty of them. This time of year the deer are feeding early and not to long after sunrise they are moving for cover. I go up and spend the night, be awake and be glassing early, they will be in the alpine in goat country and working their way down to the brush for daytime cover. Don't shoot the spikes, plenty of nice deer running around now.

PM me if ya need/want more info
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

My bad for posting this almost right after the other road system thread, didn't bother to get caught up on the new threads before I posted. Appreciate all the advice!
    Ryan from Wasilla

should be good timing. Just one pointer, If you see a truck parked at the area you are wanting to go, think about going elsewhere. There is more than enough country not to be on top of each other. the further back you get the better. Lots of bucks were close to the road for a while, not so much now. But that should change with the rut.

I got the opportunity to spend all of last year on Kodiak and tried my hand at the road system deer hunt. I was archery hunting and spotted some up high, but didn't get one. Hunted past Pasagshak and it sure looked like a nice area . . . only obstacles were big ole cow bison with their calves. So, I didn't get into any deer there. I also walked around Chiniak area and there is public land you can get onto from the road there, just pay attention to the Kodiak borough land ownership maps (on-line) and you'll be able to avoid getting onto LesNoi property. F&G office has a nice trail map with 17B easements laid out, so you should be able cross some property without being illegal or having to pay trespass fees.

Well we're back! Had a great time and although we managed to take only one deer, I would say the trip was still a massive success. We learned a lot about our physical capabilities to say the least... No amount of time spent in the gym can truly get you ready for Kodiak. Here's my partner with his buck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan from Wasilla

Nice looking deer! I hope to get out there some day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIce man, congrats. I know that area....GF took her first kill about 4 miles back from that lake on a weds/thurs trip.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Beautiful cape on your buck. Good job.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Beautiful cape on your buck. Good job.
    I was thinking the same thing, those Kodiak deer seem to have really thick hides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk