View Poll Results: Do you use a megaphone (call) to call moose?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always use a megaphone

12 23.53%
  • Sometimes use a megaphone

30 58.82%
  • Never use a megaphone

9 17.65%

Thread: Moose call: megaphone or not?

Default Moose call: megaphone or not?

When you are calling moose, do you always use a megaphone, use one sometimes, or never use one? And why?

I usually use my Moose Magnet, mostly because I think the sound is a little more true. Plus it does a better job at projection and direction. It also makes and excellent scraping tool. However, this year I accidentally left it behind in the boat when I was stalking two bulls and I called using my cupped hand and it seemed to be effective.

The most effective call I have found is a plastic pint bottle of Yukon Jack with the bottom end cut off. Makes a great scraping sound and deadly for the close in calling. I have a moose magnet and use quite frequently for louder long distant calling.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Never use anything but my hands cupped around my mouth, and a moose shoulder blade to rake.

Don't think anything else is necessary.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I always use a megaphone, i make my own out of paper bags and fiberglass.

Never used one, have always used my hands cupped for calling and an old oil can on a willow stick with the bottom cut out for raking.

I use one in situations where I want to broadcast a call a long distance. Was hunting a river in Western Alaska one year with a client, and we spotted a bull three miles out on an old burn, and I was able to pull him in with a cow call, using the megaphone. I don't think he would have heard me without the amplification.

I don't generally start out using the megaphone, because I use softer calls for animals that might be closer in. I will use it before we turn in at night, and it has resulted in getting the attention of bulls we see wandering around the perimeter of camp the next morning. I may use it during mid-day as well.

It works okay as a scraper, but it has a ringing sound (the Bull Magnet, does... the fiberglass megaphone). So you have to hold it with both hands. A moose scapula or a small moose antler is a better raking tool.

For those interested, we carry the Bull Magnet in our store, along with Wayne Kubat's moose calling videos, Love Thunder and Bull, and Love, Thunder and Bull 2.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I don't moose hunt without one unless I forget it at home. You can make one in a pinch with just about anything. Mine is over 20 years old and bought it when they were only $9.99! If you use it often you can tone up or tone down your calls. I diffently think it pays off having one as you never know if theres a bull just out of hearing distance of cupping your hands. Plus things like wind and water noises along beaver houses and rivers makes it hard for both moose and you to hear each other. I don't use it for raking because of the fake sound. A 5 gal bucket lid does an excellent job and holds up against abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ......we spotted a bull three miles out..... and I was able to pull him in with a cow call, using the megaphone. I don't think he would have heard me without the amplification.
    Did the same thing with just my hands cupped around my mouth. Although I was pretty much yelling out grunts at him, it turned him immediately and he started coming our direction. Took a long time for him to get to us, but we were able to see him coming the whole time over open country. Pretty cool. I don't doubt the megaphones work fine, but I've just called in way too many bulls without one to have to consider it.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I very rarely use one. Question came up on a recent hunt. I find I have good success with just the cupped hands, and the bull magnet takes up a lot of space, clunks when I don't want it to, and doesn't make as good a sound raking as a scapula or shed. I wonder how much of what is seen on hunting shows regarding megaphones has to do with effectiveness/necessity vs sponsorship or showmanship.

Well I know moose have great hearing and all but just this last season my daughter got bored in moose camp and went for a hike up the slough to hang out on a beaver dam which was less then a 1/4 mile away staight up the slough. I proceeded to get aggressive with the the old magnet and when she came back she said she could barely, barely hear me. I agree using the hands and also just beating the brush will work on moose close by but I want to reach out as far as I can to get all I can out of my call. I have seen no evidence that a loud call on a very near moose changes their mind or makes them hold up..