Thread: Tier 1 Question?

Default Tier 1 Question?

If you put in for Tier 1 does it lock the entire household down to 1 Caribou or can each member of the household take a caribou individually?

Ive read the Tier Regs and to me it seems that only one bou can be taken per household no matter how many members reside there.

Default Tier 1 Question?

Correct. Only one caribou per household. And everyone in the household may only hunt moose or caribou in unit 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Correct. Only one caribou per household. And everyone in the household may only hunt moose or caribou in unit 13.

Thank you for the reply.

Also when you fill out for the tier 1 permit for 2016-2017, and don't put any other house hold members on the permit, then you alone are the only one who can hunt that one house hold caribou, so If you cant shoot or another member of your family wants to shoot the caribou, their name must be written on the permit at the time of application, it will then show up on the permit by name as "other household members" to be legal for them to shoot also...

Where does it say that?

Quote Originally Posted by hovernorth View Post
    Also when you fill out for the tier 1 permit for 2016-2017, and don't put any other house hold members on the permit, then you alone are the only one who can hunt that one house hold caribou, so If you cant shoot or another member of your family wants to shoot the caribou, their name must be written on the permit at the time of application, it will then show up on the permit by name as "other household members" to be legal for them to shoot also...
    You can't omit other family members on your paperwork. That application requires that all household members must hunt moose and caribou to unit 13. They need that info to weed out the cheaters.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

The 2015-16 supplement (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf) specifically states that all members of the household over 10 years of age, even those who do not intend to hunt, must be listed on the application and that all members are bound by the restrictions of the hunt for the entire regulatory year (3rd bullet point, right side, page 4).

Wait, I was always under the impression that if I applied for the Tier 1, that my wife and kids could also apply for DC480-DC483 tags. Not saying anyone is wrong here, but where is the 1 caribou per household established?

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Wait, I was always under the impression that if I applied for the Tier 1, that my wife and kids could also apply for DC480-DC483 tags. Not saying anyone is wrong here, but where is the 1 caribou per household established?
    It is very clear in the application material I linked to above. On page 4 of the supplement here (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf) in bold at the top states: "Members of a household that apply for a unit 13 Tier I permit or CSH caribou permits are NOT eligible for ANY caribou drawing hunts" It is emphasized with the bold and underline in the application material. The next line defines a "household" as any person currently living in the principle home excluding persons boarding or renting.

EDIT: You may be confused with moose hunting in unit 13. Members of the household that applies for a Tier I caribou permit ARE allowed to put in for any drawing moose permits in unit 13 that they may be eligible for, just not any other units.

Anchskier's correct. One 'bou per household. You can apply for unit 13 draw moose hunts, but not caribou.

Everyone in the home can kill a moose in unit 13 though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel7723 View Post
    Everyone in the home can kill a moose in unit 13 though, right?
    Yes, as long as they each have a harvest ticket and/or moose permit for unit 13.