Thread: Pretty quiet here

Default Pretty quiet here

Been busy moose hunting the last couple weeks, heading to Kodiak to do some hunting next week for a month. No posts? C'mon, guys. Did you all get lives? CIFF lost their case at the Supreme Court. Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    Been busy moose hunting the last couple weeks, heading to Kodiak to do some hunting next week for a month. No posts? C'mon, guys. Did you all get lives? CIFF lost their case at the Supreme Court. Comments?
    Last month I have been in total rehab for a full knee replacement. Had some complications when the femur bone was broken in the operation. So that meant a month of no weight bearing, just started real rehab last tuesday and came home today. Since I am sitting around for the next couple of months I will try to find some interesting stuff for the forum.

Relative to the CIFF lawsuit they got hit pretty hard by the court. I never did understand how they thought they would win when it comes to judgement calls on in-season management and that is what the court found. Also they hit them with higher court costs because of the nature of the suit.

The courts can only take on legal issues not judgement calls and we have more than one court case that states this. Maybe CIFF will try a different route in the future.

Sorry to hear that Nerka. Stay on the rehab religiously, and you'll be as good as new!

I've been checking in, but haven't had a lot to say...2015 has gone down in my book as some of the best sport fishing ever.

Most of our systems in South Central have met goals for all species, and many have grossly exceeded them. The saltwater fishery has been unbelievable all year long...as many Kings, Silvers, Halibut, shrimp, rockfish, etc. as one could wish. Dip netting was fast and furious - my boat took in hundreds of sockeye for friends and family over the course. Liberalized rod/reel limits too. The Upper River Rainbow fishery has been a boom, not to mention the lakes have had a strong trout bite all summer. The Northern District had great fishing too, with dip net openers and rod/reel liberalizations. If you didn't catch a King on the Kenai, you weren't fishing - the bait ordeal made it easy. Coho have been epic all year with quick limits. I even managed to mobilize myself enough to catch some Grayling and Pike. I noticed the Anchorage airport had a strong flow of freezer boxes exiting the state, so there were a lot of happy fishermen.

Not sure how the commercial guys feel (there was a lot of over-escapement - lost yield), but what my experience means to me is that overall management is doing a good job. Yes, there is much work to do. But it's an ongoing process.

Part of the reason I think it's been quiet here is because it's harder to engage in the "fish war" when there are more fish and opportunities to catch them than one could ever wish. A happy fishery is a happy fishermen.

I anticipate the forum will get heated back up when the fish war mongers, who aren't happy unless all the fish are theirs, start chiming in again. With such great fishing this year, they'll have a harder time making their case that enough is not enough.

Good luck with the rehab, Nerka. Sounds like you'll be down for awhile. Good points Fun. PWS sure was amazing this year. A record pink run and kings every time I dropped a line. Plenty of silvers, too. Sounds like the only down side was for the drift fleet. Warmer water had the sockeye below their 45 mesh nets and more fish hit the beach for the set netters and dippers. Luckily for the set netters, the kings came on and they got to participate in the bounty.

Best of luck in rehab Nerka. But they broke your leg (femur) while replacing your knee?? I don't want to know how THAT happened.....

It's been a very good year for those of us in the PNW too. Lots of fall Chinook. Coho have been a complete bust, but the late run is still in the ocean, fattening up on huge schools of anchovies. The humpback whales have even been sighted inside the Columbia River, feasting on the schools of anchovy. My guess is that the run-size for the late run coho will be small, but those that return will be huge. And the run-size of the whales will be enormous. Epic, in fact.

It's still really dry down here too. We're way down on water, but the temps are cooling off nicely. Still need some rain to bring up the fall mushrooms.

Nerka, best wishes on full recovery. Stay with the PT. Call or PM me if you need a winter break in the rain forest, may have a spare house you can use.

PWS Drifters had a tough season. Not because there wasn't any fish, the fish were there we just didn't have access to them. The managers told us that they were having a hard time catching cost recovery at Esther so they shifted their efforts over to Main Bay. Two of our main areas virtually shut down. What is sad was going back over to Esther and seeing all the dogs in the Esther hatchery that were too rip for the any of the processed to want to buy them. God only knows how many pounds of dogs died and sank to the bottom of the ocean while many Drifters couldn't make payments.

Good luck with the rehab, Nerka. Sounds like you'll be down for awhile. Good points Fun. PWS sure was amazing this year. A record pink run and kings every time I dropped a line. Plenty of silvers, too. Sounds like the only down side was for the drift fleet. Warmer water had the sockeye below their 45 mesh nets and more fish hit the beach for the set netters and dippers. Luckily for the set netters, the kings came on and they got to participate in the bounty.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    PWS Drifters had a tough season. Not because there wasn't any fish, the fish were there we just didn't have access to them. The managers told us that they were having a hard time catching cost recovery at Esther so they shifted their efforts over to Main Bay. Two of our main areas virtually shut down. What is sad was going back over to Esther and seeing all the dogs in the Esther hatchery that were too rip for the any of the processed to want to buy them. God only knows how many pounds of dogs died and sank to the bottom of the ocean while many Drifters couldn't make payments.
    Yeah, I heard about that chum debacle. What a waste. I was tendering and it seemed like some guys did pretty well overall, though. It seemed like it was the season of the haves and have nots for the PWS drift fleet. Seems like PWSAC drops the ball the same way with pinks fairly regularly. Especially at Cannery Creek.

You are right. It seems the fleet was split. I am one of the few that fell somewhere in the middle. PWSAC has a history of mismanagement but it was more obvious this year because they included Main Bay in the dis-function. Have a good trip to Kodiak.

Yeah, I heard about that chum debacle. What a waste. I was tendering and it seemed like some guys did pretty well overall, though. It seemed like it was the season of the haves and have nots for the PWS drift fleet. Seems like PWSAC drops the ball the same way with pinks fairly regularly. Especially at Cannery Creek.