Thread: Kodiak deer hunting?

Default Kodiak deer hunting?

hey im going to kodiak here shortly and was wondering where some decent spots for deer are, on the road system?

Mostly on the right side when you head south. Or on the right side when you head north.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

First you need to have a good grasp of the land ownership on the road system. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...k/indexmap.cfm D-2, D-3, C-2, and C-3 cover most of it. There is public land you can hunt, but there is also a lot of native, Military, and private land mixed in. There are deer on all of it.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Mostly on the right side when you head south. Or on the right side when you head north.

Don't listen to him. Its on the left side if you're going north out of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    First you need to have a good grasp of the land ownership on the road system. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...k/indexmap.cfm D-2, D-3, C-2, and C-3 cover most of it. There is public land you can hunt, but there is also a lot of native, Military, and private land mixed in. There are deer on all of it.
    For what it's worth, I think those DNR maps might be out of date. When I hunted down there a couple years ago we discovered that they didn't match the actual conveyed native lands very well at all (as depicted on the official Koniag maps). I suspect the old DNR maps show some selected native lands that in the end were not actually transferred. Not certain, but at least be aware that link isn't gospel any more.

Koniag had published maps that were presumably up to date, and we used those for ownership information. The DNR maps are good for showing easements though.

Yk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't worry about the Lesnoi land, plenty off access through it on public trails. Not to early, deer are here, seeing plenty of them. This time of year the deer are feeding early and not to long after sunrise they are moving for cover. I go up and spend the night, be awake and be glassing early, they will be in the alpine in goat country and working their way down to the brush for daytime cover. Don't shoot the spikes, plenty of nice deer running around now.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Don't listen to him. Its on the left side if you're going north out of the city.
    oopps ya thats what i mean. been so long i forgot!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Any suggestions for someone planning to go towards the end of October and being their first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melli075 View Post
    Any suggestions for someone planning to go towards the end of October and being their first time?

Road hunt, fly-in, or boat hunt? Serious glassing and occasionally calling work pretty well. Hike alder fingers above tree line in the morning and late afternoon. If you hunt the timber slow stalk the deer trails into the wind. I'm heading down Thursday for a month. Can't wait!! A salmon rod and shotgun are pretty handy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    Road hunt, fly-in, or boat hunt? Serious glassing and occasionally calling work pretty well. Hike alder fingers above tree line in the morning and late afternoon. If you hunt the timber slow stalk the deer trails into the wind. I'm heading down Thursday for a month. Can't wait!! A salmon rod and shotgun are pretty handy, too.

Thanks for the info. I'll be hunting the road system. Other than property easements to worry about do you have any suggestions?

Devil's Prongs is usually a good hunt. Go to Monashka Bay and park at the pullout at the top of the hill just before you drop down to the end of the road. There is a trail across the road that takes you up to a small ridge that goes up the right hand side of the Mt. there. It takes you back into a nice valley between the mountains. You can hunt the valley or climb up and hunt the ridges or peaks. When you get back to the valley, there is a ridge that goes down to the right towards the reservoir. The canyon between the ridge you came up and the ridge that goes down to the reservoir always seems to have deer in it, especially after a big blow. I think they go down in there to get out of the wind. If you're lucky enough to get some snow, while you're there, even better. It makes locating and spotting deer much easier.

I took a deer up there every year when I lived there in the 80s including a huge 20" wide 3x3 that was the biggest deer I took on Kodiak out of about 30 deer. Got him right on top of the peak to the left of the trail.
    - Jef Mallett

I used to hunt Burton's ranch when I was doing construction down there. Don't know the status of hunting there since he passed away, though. I took a few deer off the road system by doing essentially the same thing twodux is talking about.

don't bother going where twodux mentioned. ill be in there every doable day for the next three weeks. by the way thanks RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    don't bother going where twodux mentioned. ill be in there every doable day for the next three weeks. by the way thanks RB
    hah hah J. Hope you get the Great, great, great, great, grandson of the one I got.
    - Jef Mallett