Thread: BOG new rule

Default BOG new rule

Does anyone know or know of any pilots who were cited or even approached for flying/spotting sheep during the hunting season? After much talk about the new rule I'm curious about enforcement.

Thanks.

I haven't heard of anyone cited or warned.
    Interesting enough though, Proposal 70 for 2016 regulations would make it illegal to spot any game from aircraft.
    Maybe someone can paste that link on here, I'm not that computer savy

New restrictions come from the board sorta like how pedophiles groom their victims. Just a wee bit at a time.

PROPOSAL 70 -
    5 AAC 92.085. Unlawful methods of taking big game; exceptions. Restrict the use of aircraft for spotting or locating big game species while hunting as follows:
    Changes to "Use of aircraft for hunting”:Aircraft may only be used to place hunters and camps, maintain existing camps, and salvage meat, trophies and associated equipment while used for the purpose of hunting big game species.
    Using an aircraft for the purpose of spotting big game species or locating big game species during the open hunting season is prohibited.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I work for a local air taxi. Was flying through a mountain pass with fisherman on board headed to their lodge of choice. I made a radio position report, like a good boy should. A few miles up the pass another plane radios that there are sheep up on whatever ridge. yup hes right. A trooper, overhearing this, tracks down the owner of my plane, who tells him I'm the PIC, and finds me. He surely has several questions, like do you know any hunters in the area, are you hunting, do you know any guides, and so on. Again, air taxi with fisherman on board. He then tells me about the new law and so on, he seemed pretty hard on the law. I'm not sure what a pilot is to do but close their eyes while flying thru passes, but I'm sure NTSB wont like that very much. On this age of lower state revenue, we are on thin ice, and the troopers are given too much power here. I'm not a guide, just a pilot, and hardly hunt myself for that matter, but I see trouble. Their intention in the law is ok with me, but it depends on the trooper's view. And with the new rule, you could be on your way to your cabin, and there's a moose in the pond, but you don't see it. trooper on the ground knows hes there. 2 days later you shoot it, and your done. I'm sorry, but I think this is dangerous ground, for all of us.

In 1985, I answered my residential doorbell to find a sergeant with Fish & Wildlife Protection, Detachment "C", standing at our door. I noticed the street before our home, at the end of a dead-end 'R' Street, was filled with other officers, a locksmith (in case I didn't answer the door), and the alley behind our home blocked by another trooper. It seems they had tracked the signal of a collared black bear to a guiding cabin I owned in Unit 13.

There was no law against shooting a collared black bear, and I hadn't used that cabin for three years. This was clearly harrassment. F&W Protection was, and probably still is, a bit rabid. You'll just have to deal with it . . . . . and with your attorney, no doubt.

When I read this it said during open season- does this mean the afternoon before opener you can spot? That will make opening day busy in the air,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone cited or warned.
    Interesting enough though, Proposal 70 for 2016 regulations would make it illegal to spot any game from aircraft.
    Maybe someone can paste that link on here, I'm not that computer savy
    That's the reason for my question. If the new sheep spotting rule didn't do anything there's no basis to expand upon it. I'm trying to organize my thoughts before I write a position letter to oppose the expansion of aircraft restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    New restrictions come from the board sorta like how pedophiles groom their victims. Just a wee bit at a time.

PROPOSAL 70 -
    5 AAC 92.085. Unlawful methods of taking big game; exceptions. Restrict the use of aircraft for spotting or locating big game species while hunting as follows:
    Changes to "Use of aircraft for hunting”:Aircraft may only be used to place hunters and camps, maintain existing camps, and salvage meat, trophies and associated equipment while used for the purpose of hunting big game species.
    Using an aircraft for the purpose of spotting big game species or locating big game species during the open hunting season is prohibited.
    Well, look on the plus side. If aerial spotting is illegal, there's no reason for the same day airborne rule and they can eliminate it, right? (Sarcasm alert)

Note to self : use made-up N- number while flying the passes.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Does anyone know the status of the above proposal? Just wondering if it was adopted , thanks guys.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

or better yet state the type and color of aircraft ("red cessna") in those NON MANDATORY reporting points and call it good...no one can see the N number but everyone can hear it..

Alaska's registered guided usually do their game spotting BEFORE the hunting seasons. Flying to spot game DURING the hunting seasons is the target for the rabid game warden types . . .

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Does anyone know the status of the above proposal? Just wondering if it was adopted , thanks guys.
    BOG hasn't met yet.

It was adopted and in full effect last hunting season. One person was investigated by AST and he was found to just be sight seeing. A lot of resident hunters were not wanting to fly for fear of having to prove one's innocence. There are several proposals being presented at the next BOG meeting in March 18-28 in FBX. The deadline to give comments on these proposals is March 4th. You can submit comments on line here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

There are several proposals to change or repeal 207. Those proposals are in the early 20's, so comment on those if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    It was adopted and in full effect last hunting season. One person was investigated by AST and he was found to just be sight seeing. A lot of resident hunters were not wanting to fly for fear of having to prove one's innocence. There are several proposals being presented at the next BOG meeting in March 18-28 in FBX. The deadline to give comments on these proposals is March 4th. You can submit comments on line here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

There are several proposals to change or repeal 207. Those proposals are in the early 20's, so comment on those if you like.
    Negative. Look what his question was in reference to. Prop 70 for this March….
    You are referencing 207 from LAST yr.….

My bad, I was referencing Mr.Pid's original question. Either way you can still make comments to the BOG

Thank you guys for the response , I'll send a letter to the BOG.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post

Just a reminder to send a letter in if you have concerns. The dead line is Mar 4th. Thanks.