Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2015 Moose Float Hunt

The folds make them look "bigger" any time I see folds like on the left side, and somewhat on the right, I think BIG!!!

Spread is such a worthless metric anyway. Antler mass is what attracts cows..lol Do they curve in, curve out?.. A 55 can dwarf a 63-64..in mass and real size. I always thought simple weight or volume should be as simple as it is for determining number one.

Boone and Crocket should have interviewed more cows...they like mass. The "prefect set" of horns by Boone and Crocket standards is um, debatable...but I'm preaching to the quire here I suppose. Great hunt/moose/story...

Back to the cows. The moose are really skiddish in the area I hunt. Floating out though, with the horns of the moose I'd shot clearly visible(and putting out quite a lot of bull scent) this cow stood on the bank above me 20 feet away. She'd glance at me, then those horns, then me, then sniff.. I had to laugh... my eyes are up here dangit!!!

Thanks for the Trip Report!

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Great Write Up Mike! and my guess would be 64.5"
    HMMMM, someone was close.....haha, all luck I wouldnt have thought for two seconds before pulling the trigger on that beauty. Thanks for the entertainment Mike.

Joe

Great story Mike , beautiful country and congrats to the Louisiana Boys .

Thanks for playing along, everyone! I'm trying to find ideas on how we can educate ourselves, using this site to teach us how to better judge big game animals. Might save a few critters from getting shot.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the great pictures Mike.

Regarding the spread of that great bull, I've been looking at moose racks for nearly three decades, and just when I'm starting to have a little confidence in my estimating ability you go and do this! I was thinking it was high 60's, pushing 70. Looking at it again, the beam lengths (distance from head to beginning of palmation...at least as I'm using the word) are short relative to the palmation mass, which is impressive and suggestive of greater spread, and in hindsight should have been a clue to me to down-grade my estimate. Those moose!

For the record, I'm still a brow-tine counter after all these years.

Interestingly enough, my first guestimate (gut) was nearly correct at saying 65" or so. THEN I started the 10" outside of eye to outside of eye.....marking it on a piece of paper and holding it up to the screen. That screwed it all up as I kept coming up with over 70" in all but one pic where using that same measurement came up at around 65. Maybe I should start listening to my gut.....lol.

Oh and "anchorriver".....I'm with you. Mass is everything. One year I killed a 58" bull here on the Kenai and as far as mass goes, it dwarfed the 65"er that my buddy killed that same year up on the Yukon. Overall weight would be a good way of measuring trophy status for sure. Sure would be much simpler...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Interestingly enough, my first guestimate (gut) was nearly correct at saying 65" or so. THEN I started the 10" outside of eye to outside of eye.....marking it on a piece of paper and holding it up to the screen. That screwed it all up as I kept coming up with over 70" in all but one pic where using that same measurement came up at around 65. Maybe I should start listening to my gut.....lol.

Oh and "anchorriver".....I'm with you. Mass is everything. One year I killed a 58" bull here on the Kenai and as far as mass goes, it dwarfed the 65"er that my buddy killed that same year up on the Yukon. Overall weight would be a good way of measuring trophy status for sure. Sure would be much simpler...

yea, unfortunately as I age I am getting wrapped up in this big bull thing. I used to happily harvest spike forks, and love every bite!!

Moose genetically seem obsessed with size. Cows love the large horned bulls(I've been told they even enter estrus early if a large bull is around). The species is doing well, so maybe the system works.

Boone and Crocket just took a stab in the dark one day, and wrote up some parameters, and m,any have obsessed over them for decades.

Seems two things are important in a "good" rack... can they attract cows, and can they win a fight? This determines who successfully breeds...though some of the sneaky opportunistic satellite bulls do well too..

Don't want to derail this thread.. really enjoying it... but the spread thing really is not enough. My 55 this year is pretty heavy, cups in..

end rant..

Great thread, love the stories and pictures to go along with...Beautiful bull and unreal country

Really nice to see the pictures with the story. Looks like it was a great time.

Just got word from "my main man Ray" that the official score after the drying period ended up being 214 4/8. Just missed the all-time Boone and Crockett records book, but will make the "3 year" awards book. I asked him about the spread after drying, but I haven't heard yet.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this one. It was great hearing from all of you!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

IMG_2297.jpg
    almost finished from the taxidermist

Looks terrific. That'll look great in the lodge!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
    IMG_2297.jpg
    almost finished from the taxidermist
    Looks great....just some real neat character in that rack...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

Steve relaxes in his tent during one of our many rainstorms. I took this shot as we were all heading off to bed for the night. I never seem to have trouble sleeping in the woods, and many nights I like to think of our camps as just one tiny speck of humanity in a vast wilderness. What a place we get to live!
    How did this KUIU tent work out? Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    How did this KUIU tent work out? Any issues?
    He seemed to like it, and had no issues. He told me he would have preferred the Zephyr 2, by Alps Mountaineering. Approximately the same design, but far, far cheaper price-wise. There are some minor differences between the two tents, and for some the main deal-breaker is that the Alps tents are made in China. Still, the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 retails for $219.99, and the Kuiu Mountain Star for $499.

-Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234