Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Moose Float Hunt

I'm going with 66" but it could easily be a few more. My wife says 68".

[Edit to add] And THANKS!!! for the gorgeous picture log of an excellent trip.

Excellent write up and excellent pics. Some pics almost look doctored. Awesome trip. Thanks Mike.
    I'm going with 70.5 inches.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

A conservative guess of 66". What an inspiring write up. Thank you Mike!

Awesome hunt. 67" is my guess.

My guess on spread is 76" maybe a tad under.

So the interesting question. Did you make a measurement the day it was taken? Then another measurement once you returned to civilization? Would be interested to know how much shrinkage occurred after removing the fur. I have been making a few notes over the years.

72 '' awesome write up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    My guess on spread is 76" maybe a tad under.

So the interesting question. Did you make a measurement the day it was taken? Then another measurement once you returned to civilization? Would be interested to know how much shrinkage occurred after removing the fur. I have been making a few notes over the years.
    We measured the antlers the day the bull was killed. Some shrinkage will occur during the next few weeks, which is why the Boone & Crockett Club requires a 60-day drying period before official scoring. Removing the cape from the antlers should have no effect on the antler spread, if that's what you are saying.

For what it's worth, the antler beams were between nine and ten inches around. Steve checked the B&C Record Book and told me he only saw three bulls in there with larger bases.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

75ish is my guess. Nice moose and great write up.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Awesome write up Mike I really enjoyed it. That looks like a 73 inch bull to me.

Default Antler spread

Well, believe it or not, the spread on this bull was 64". A big bull for sure, but something about the configuration makes him look really huge. In the vertical shots, we did place a small chunk of wood under them so you could see the tines, without them getting buried in the gravel (Steve's idea), and we shot some of the pics from a low angle in order to get some sky behind them. But there was no manipulation or trick photography involved. I was very surprised at how well the images turned out.

Steve rough-scored the antlers in the field and they made Boone & Crockett minimums for the record book, but were knocked out because of deductions due to lack of symmetry. All in all a very impressive bull that many hunters would love to see in the field. The antlers will be officially scored after the requisite 60-day drying period, just to know the numbers for certain.

Thanks to to all who played along! It's worth noting that even moose hunters with years of experience will mis-judge some bulls. When in doubt, go with a brow time count!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    We measured the antlers the day the bull was killed. Some shrinkage will occur during the next few weeks, which is why the Boone & Crockett Club requires a 60-day drying period before official scoring. Removing the cape from the antlers should have no effect on the antler spread, if that's what you are saying.

For what it's worth, the antler beams were between nine and ten inches around. Steve checked the B&C Record Book and told me he only saw three bulls in there with larger bases.

-Mike
    Have seen a few in the low 50's after a week lose 1/2 to almost a full inch over two weeks or so depending on temps, once everything is removed and starting to dry. You ever happen by a camp with antlers hanging between trees......

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Have seen a few in the low 50's after a week lose 1/2 to almost a full inch over two weeks or so depending on temps, once everything is removed and starting to dry. You ever happen by a camp with antlers hanging between trees......
    I shot one last year that taped out at 59 1/2" measured it again about a month ago and it taped out at 59 1/2" it was outside all winter. I was surprised there was absolutely job shrinkage.

Living like kings

What is it about this angle that makes the 10 inches on the outside of the eyes method so inaccurate in this photo? I simply drew a line on the photo from the outside of each eye and then copied and pasted it 6 more times. What would prevent this from happening when field judging one on the hoof? I realize it is not a perfect method, but it results in about a 10 inch mistake in this photo, which is pretty significant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aweome! I got to know Steve this year as well and he is an outstanding fellow and one heck of a camp cook!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    What is it about this angle that makes the 10 inches on the outside of the eyes method so inaccurate in this photo? I simply drew a line on the photo from the outside of each eye and then copied and pasted it 6 more times. What would prevent this from happening when field judging one on the hoof? I realize it is not a perfect method, but it results in about a 10 inch mistake in this photo, which is pretty significant.
    You bring up a good point. The main reason I wanted to have you folks estimate the spread is that there is something about this animal that gives the illusion of a wider spread. He blows all of the "tricks" of antler judging out the window: 20" from ear tip to ear tip, 10" across the eye sockets, etc. in the end, most of us instinctively knew he was legal, but an accurate width estimate was hard to come by. Judging legal animals is hard enough at times (I've shooed away 60" bulls away because they didn't look 50" to me). Judging trophy quality is a skill that takes years to master, and even then you make mistakes. In the end, there are no reliable formulas, in my opinion. When it comes to judging legal bills, often a brow tine count is the best bet.

That bull has almost all upper paddle no lower tine. It's not very butterfly. I think that is what makes it appear larger. Also unless the photo is dead straight on it is useless for doing any 'measuring'

Hoss, I think the shadow in the picture throws off the measurement too. On my screen it's all in shadow and really hard to discern. Looking at where the outside of the left eye is with respect to the base of the left antler, I think the white reference bar needs to extend a little more to the right to catch where the outside of the right eye is.

I tried rotating your picture to see what I would come up with and I put it at about 65". If the doctor used forceps to pull that bull out when he was born, his head might be squeezed a little bit and have only 9.5" from eye to eye. In that case he would only be 61.75"

The real problem here is reference. You guys draw the lines 2 feet further from the camera than the tips. Giving it the illusion of it being bigger. The old trick of holding the antler closer to the camera to make it appear larger. I measured the bull we shot this year and from teeth to tip of brow tines is 27" (small place looking for room to put the euro mount that it wouldn't take up the whole room). So your reference point is 2 feet further back from the tips you're measuring to. If you are following what I'm saying. At a distance of 100 yards those 2 feet don't make a difference but at 10 or so feet where this pic is taken from it makes a huge difference. I messed it up too guessing 73" or so. I didn't account for the difference in depth perception.

I love seeing the scenery in your story, thank you for taking the time to write it up.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I can see what you are saying about the shadow, and the angle that the head is tilted makes it much worse, maybe that is what it is. But he looks wider than he is in the other pictures too.
    We used a cheat sheet that we made using a range finder and certain reference points in the scope at different powers. I am really glad we did, as we saw three legal bulls and none of them had four brow tines. In the area we were in long brow tines seemed to be a predominant trait and we only saw one small bull the entire trip that had more of a brow palm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast