Thread: Optimax Users - Lets hear your comments

Default Optimax Users - Lets hear your comments

Any of you guys running newer Optimax's on your river boats? Feedback is highly appreciated.
    Tennessee

The overheating issue from the other thread is directed at the inboard 200's. This place has a lot of info on the sport jets: www.myboatforum.com

As far as the inboard version goes, our '06 has about 80 hours on it. I will say those of us with heaters run a higher risk of a heat issue than those without. If you run weedy and/or silty water a lot I highly recommend cleaning the sand trap daily and taking apart the thermostat and cleaning/inspecting it regularly. We pulled ours apart this winter and found it partially stuck open. I've been told if it sticks closed it could overheat the exhaust manifold and start melting hoses and wires before you have much warning. So far we have just done regular scheduled maintenance. Early last summer they were dropping fuel lift pumps like flys, but the new pumps seem to be running fine now.

Default heater

snowwolfe.....I'm not sure what type of heater is on the boat....whatever came with it....I can look tonight if it will help...
    ...as far as motor heat, I know that river temp has A LOT to do with it...
    ..for example, running the Knik the gauge said 58-59deg, Big su 68-70, Big su on a hot day 78-80, deshka on hot day 93-94...
    ...I'm going to run it tonight with the heater hooked back up to see if my minor heating issues were just because it was so hot outside....nothing was melting, no motor alarms, it was just running noticably hotter....

I am referring to the Optimax 200/225 outboards. Not sportjets.
    Anyone running these outboards with a jet on them?
    Tennessee

...silly me, I thought they were the same motor....

Only flaw that I know of on Merc outboards is that they don't have an intake screen like Yammi's, otherwise I would probably own one. Gotta be careful while running in silty water.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Would an intake screen block silt from coming in the motor? Seems to me the silt would be to small to catch.
    Tennessee

Default 2003 optimax 150 salt water pro

this is what i got , run it on a 2003 wooldridge sport in the yukon, deshka, yeatna, lake creek, 20 mile and whitter. have about 75 hrs on it.... no problems. runs like a top, what else do ya need to know? on yeah, if it matters, only run it with the jet on it so far