Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Any "Black Rifle" shooter here?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9

    Default Any "Black Rifle" shooter here?

    I am a black rifle shooter and are groups or ranges that specialize in them about? I would be interested in other shooter point of view on things in different parts of the country. Also all ways looking for on-line stores. I don't have the money I like to be able to spend so suggestion are welcome. I have a few I deal with regular but you just cant have too many choices.

    I found this one the other night. www.overstockgunparts.com and have a sale on lower receiver.(that's how I found them)
    They sell a lot of parts and thing they get from places going out. They even have stuff for muzzle loaders and old war guns.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    I am a black rifle shooter and are groups or ranges that specialize in them about? I would be interested in other shooter point of view on things in different parts of the country. Also all ways looking for on-line stores. I don't have the money I like to be able to spend so suggestion are welcome. I have a few I deal with regular but you just cant have too many choices.

    I found this one the other night. www.overstockgunparts.com and have a sale on lower receiver.(that's how I found them)
    They sell a lot of parts and thing they get from places going out. They even have stuff for muzzle loaders and old war guns.
    I'm a black rifle shooter I guess. I love my AR. Hand built lower with an Adams Arms upper. I don't know if you're looking for a forum for enthusiasts or if you are looking for groups in AK that are dedicated to black rifles. For forums the gold standard forum is probably ar15.com. Pretty much everything you every wanted to know and all the attitude and <blank> measuring you've come to know and love from on-line forums.

    As for groups up here? We have a pretty large military population up here so you're bound to find a pretty good sized crowd of black rifle lovers. There are also a handful of "tactical" stores in the area that are more geared toward the fad of tactical than the traditional gun stores. A lot of the guys I know have one, but most of them have one because they thought hey I should get one. A surprising number haven't bothered to burn off the factory oil if you follow my meaning.

    As for ranges, up here? Not so much. There are plenty of ranges, but I wouldn't say I've ever seen a range that specializes in black rifles. A lot of the range use here is setting up hunting rigs or goofing off on the weekend. There are a couple tactical training outfits, but I'm not sure how busy they get.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I shoot/plink and hunt (on occasion) with an AR-15 (chambered in 6.5 Grendel). I typically keep a Romanian AK 47 pattern rifle in my camper for a "camp rifle".

    There are a ton of web pages dedicated to the discussion black rifles. AR 15s and AR 15 accessories can be found pretty easily in most of the larger gun stores in Fairbanks....they even have some of the boutique brands and 7.62 pattern rifles.

    And as Mobius pointed out, there are lots of military folks up here who are more comfortable with that style rifle. Personally, I prefer the ergenomics and modularity of the AR over any bolt gun. I just wish I could get an AR chambered in a round that was heavy enough for interior bears but still maintain the size weight of the AR 15.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuck View Post
    I shoot/plink and hunt (on occasion) with an AR-15 (chambered in 6.5 Grendel). I typically keep a Romanian AK 47 pattern rifle in my camper for a "camp rifle".

    There are a ton of web pages dedicated to the discussion black rifles. AR 15s and AR 15 accessories can be found pretty easily in most of the larger gun stores in Fairbanks....they even have some of the boutique brands and 7.62 pattern rifles.

    And as Mobius pointed out, there are lots of military folks up here who are more comfortable with that style rifle. Personally, I prefer the ergenomics and modularity of the AR over any bolt gun. I just wish I could get an AR chambered in a round that was heavy enough for interior bears but still maintain the size weight of the AR 15.
    What's wrong with a good .458 SOCOM?

  5. #5
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuck View Post
    I shoot/plink and hunt (on occasion) with an AR-15 (chambered in 6.5 Grendel). I typically keep a Romanian AK 47 pattern rifle in my camper for a "camp rifle".

    There are a ton of web pages dedicated to the discussion black rifles. AR 15s and AR 15 accessories can be found pretty easily in most of the larger gun stores in Fairbanks....they even have some of the boutique brands and 7.62 pattern rifles.

    And as Mobius pointed out, there are lots of military folks up here who are more comfortable with that style rifle. Personally, I prefer the ergenomics and modularity of the AR over any bolt gun. I just wish I could get an AR chambered in a round that was heavy enough for interior bears but still maintain the size weight of the AR 15.
    Check out these...hope you have deeeep pockets 😜
    https://nemoarms.com/rifles/

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    There are a lot of AR shooters here in Alaska. I use AR's in different calibers to hunt big game and varmints. There are also several people that shoot AR's in three gun matches. While there may not be many ranges to shoot our AR's at, there are several places that we can shoot, safely!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    There are a lot of AR shooters here in Alaska. I use AR's in different calibers to hunt big game and varmints. There are also several people that shoot AR's in three gun matches. While there may not be many ranges to shoot our AR's at, there are several places that we can shoot, safely!
    Curious as to what you mean? Are there ranges that don't allow AR's?

  8. #8
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Just wondering what constitutes a "black rifle"?

    Is a FN FAL a black rifle?
    How about a HK 91 or HK 93?
    Would a Steyr AUG qualify?
    An AK-47/AK-74?

    Is the term "black rifle" limited to the AR-15 platform? Or all tactical long guns?

    What do you all think?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Not inferring that there are ranges that do not allow AR's, just that we have few ranges to begin with. From my limited knowledge there is the range at Rabbit Creek, Birchwood, Maud Road, Mat valley Sportsmen and upper Su.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Curious as to what you mean? Are there ranges that don't allow AR's?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    What's wrong with a good .458 SOCOM?
    Man I had a 50 Beowulf upper. I sold it and about 200 rounds of ammo. It was a neat piece of kit, but obtaining ammo for it up here was impossible. I picked up. .375 Ruger with the money I made from the upper. I miss that upper.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Check out these...hope you have deeeep pockets 
    https://nemoarms.com/rifles/
    Awesome looking rifles but man check out the weight on those things! I'd love to have the semiautomatic .338 win mag......very nice!

  12. #12
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Yes, they are a little chuncky. An acquaintance of mine has one of the originals in .300WM and it shoots amazing and is scary accurate, exremly light recoil. One has been on my Christmas list for a while 😎.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Not inferring that there are ranges that do not allow AR's, just that we have few ranges to begin with. From my limited knowledge there is the range at Rabbit Creek, Birchwood, Maud Road, Mat valley Sportsmen and upper Su.
    OH, ok, I got it. And of course that great big range out in the middle of the wilderness called open land.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9

    Default Rifle Give A Way!

    Got this today, giving away a rifle. Wanted to pass it on.
    http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u...0&e=2dbc7670e8

    If you share it you get more chances.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Not inferring that there are ranges that do not allow AR's, just that we have few ranges to begin with. From my limited knowledge there is the range at Rabbit Creek, Birchwood, Maud Road, Mat valley Sportsmen and upper Su.
    ...And the Alaska Rifle Club sponsors NRA and CMP high power matches at the 600 yard range on Fort Richardson and 1000 yard shoots at Fort Greeley. Yes you can participate.

    Snowshoe gun club Kenai sponsors some 300 yard rifle shoots.

    AR15 Service/National Match rifle work for 300/600, as does the AR 15 Space Gun. 800/900/1000 is another story I think.

    Come shoot. bring a junior.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9

    Default Bumpfire?

    Anyone had any dealings with a bump fire stock? It looks like it would be fun but could get expensive in ammo. I found one cheap but don't want a "toy" or junk.

  17. #17

    Default

    I've always been a mini 14 guy. I know old fashioned and ignorant and set in my ways. How-some-ever I have a fella that is wanting my motorcycle and he has a whole bunch of guns he wants to trade for........none of you guys know it but I'm a sucker for a horse trade specially if guns are coming my way. He has a brand new in the box Sig M400 Enhanced AR15 that's on the list. Would that be a good one? I'm going for a look see at his pile of guns in an hour.

    Truth is I rode 500 miles all summer. Would rather sit by a pond, river or in a woods these days with a grand kid than run up and down the road with the wind whistling through my ears.

  18. #18
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    He has a brand new in the box Sig M400 Enhanced AR15 that's on the list. Would that be a good one?
    Yea it's a good one but ARs are in the toilet, I expect that $1200 gun trades for around $700 or so right now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yea it's a good one but ARs are in the toilet, I expect that $1200 gun trades for around $700 or so right now.
    Not too long ago, maybe 2012 before the hysteria, that Sig was a black friday deal at Wal-mart for $867. $700 is probably an appropriate price now.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    Anyone had any dealings with a bump fire stock? It looks like it would be fun but could get expensive in ammo. I found one cheap but don't want a "toy" or junk.
    Bump Stocks are fun and work well with practice.... IMHO They are very much a "toy"...
    They burn ammo to quick, and are pretty much gaurunteed to burn out a barrel in short order.
    They do simulate automatic fire to a degree, but they are still much to finicky to be reliable enough for suppressive fire.

    I have seen bump fires stop being reliable as the weapon heats up considerably.... although the AR15 does outperform expectations for a light rifle....The platform itself was never designed for sustained auto fire anyways.. this might be part of the problem..

    you'll never know what you think of them unless you try one.... but in all reality (for my uses at least) there is nothing practical about them. Its a "Novelty" Item and certainly nowhere near as reliable as true selective fire weapon.

    My advice is to look in you're wallet.... Then decide how much its worth to spend a couple hundred on a stock ....then blow through a couple hundred dollars of ammo..then replace the barrel shortly thereafter in order to maintain 3-4 MOA accuracy.
    On top of that, after the novelty wears off... you're going to take it off your rifle because it clunky and rattles.
    Then you will put it in your safe and rarely (if ever) use it again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •