Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State public use strips and overzealous land owners

Default State public use strips and overzealous land owners

I live on Alexander Creek and have seen and been involved in conflicts involving the state strip here on the creek. We have a few overzealous cabin owners who seem to think they own at least half the creek, the state strip, and any moose within a five mile radians. Just recently a man that has had a cabin here for 25 years was basically accosted for landing on the strip to go to his cabin. There is a public easement to the creek also. Pilots have been kicked off this strip by someone claiming the strip to be Private (this is an illegal act), other cabin owners have been told they can't hunt there even though it is State land. I have even been informed on social media to tell others to quit landing on our land because there are no tie downs for anyone else. Now mind you this is a man that just bought a cabin here not even five years ago.

As a resident for many years I'm done putting up with this behavior. The strip is public and any one who has a cabin here has a right to access their property. Any Pilot flying in this state has a right to land there anytime they please. I am in no way wanting a million people to show up where I live. I live here so I can be away from the insanity. The thing is I understand that the only thing I control is the Five acres I live on. The people I have met running around in boats and even landing on the strip are a lot more enjoyable than the selfish land Barron's!

So, I'm going to either reclaim my old tie down spot (which might not be possible since I don't own it and nether does anyone else own their tie down spots), or I will make a spot and mark it transient parking for visitors. And if these Land Barron's continue to claim rights that are not theirs then I will be informing all of you here on Alaska outdoor forum members of my first annual Alexander Creek Fly in Barbeque!

So, if you are as adment as I am about this subject, come on out and check out the strip. If anyone comes out to the strip and questions you make sure you tell them that Mike Mason informed you that this is a public strip! And fly safe!

Sounds great Mike! Let us know, we're always looking for a reason to fly in and meet good folks.

I don't even know where Alexander Creek is...but I am experiencing an undeniable curiosity to check it out...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Excellent! Haven't landed at Alexander yet, but will plan on it next summer. Any decent pike fishing within a short walk from the strip?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Excellent! Haven't landed at Alexander yet, but will plan on it next summer. Any decent pike fishing within a short walk from the strip?
    Little bit of a long walk to the creek but I would be more than happy to pick you up!

You live down near the mouth, right? Is it that strip that is on that triangle chunk between the Su and Alexander? Or the one on the east side north of the mouth?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Little bit of a long walk to the creek but I would be more than happy to pick you up!
    Sounds good! I'll take you up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    I don't even know where Alexander Creek is...but I am experiencing an undeniable curiosity to check it out...
    Come on over anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Sounds great Mike! Let us know, we're always looking for a reason to fly in and meet good folks.
    Excellent! Look forward to meeting you!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You live down near the mouth, right? Is it that strip that is on that triangle chunk between the Su and Alexander? Or the one on the east side north of the mouth?
    It's the one north of the mouth. The other one is a real private strip!

FAA will make short work of shutting whoever is claiming it theirs mouths up real quick. If they don't, they should because as I recall there is a federal law that has to do with impersonating land ownership and more specifically charging for operations performed on state and federal land without a license and permits. Even though they are not possibly charging, but it falls into that law pretty **** close. On our airstrip that we have privately, all we ask for is somebody to ask us and tell us they are landing there. That is so we can tell them the hazards and what to watch for. Then we are cool with it, or if you have a problem or such then you don't even have to ask anyways(there's a law for that too). We like talking to people and meeting new pilots all the time. Sounds like the 1st annual Alexander creek fly in is a go eh?

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    FAA will make short work of shutting whoever is claiming it theirs mouths up real quick. If they don't, they should because as I recall there is a federal law that has to do with impersonating land ownership and more specifically charging for operations performed on state and federal land without a license and permits. Even though they are not possibly charging, but it falls into that law pretty **** close. On our airstrip that we have privately, all we ask for is somebody to ask us and tell us they are landing there. That is so we can tell them the hazards and what to watch for. Then we are cool with it, or if you have a problem or such then you don't even have to ask anyways(there's a law for that too). We like talking to people and meeting new pilots all the time. Sounds like the 1st annual Alexander creek fly in is a go eh?

I'm thinking it would be a blast! Thanks for the input! And your right it is against the law!

One more spot to come check out! Thanks Alexander!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    One more spot to come check out! Thanks Alexander!
    No problem...... Tell them Red sent ya!

Forgot to mention that I have a sand bar in front of the house that is excellent for Cubs. I live across from the old Gabberts Fish Camp about one mile up the mouth of Alexander Creek. It is about 700 feet and a good North, South approach and there is a Wind sock just up from there. I drag it and it is grandular type sand. If anyone wants to check out the creek give me a call at 733-1559 and I'll have the coffee ready! Our home is Sunshine yellow just like my personality!

I assume you mean here - https://goo.gl/maps/dKCn4kxKTSH2

If the weather gets better in the next few days I might come check it out just for an excuse to go fly.

You want to really make them mad, get it put on the sectional as a public airport.

Thinking the mad thing is covered.

ive been wanting to explore that side of the rivers for a little while now, ill have to remember your out there and stop in. and thanks for the heads up about the non owner

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    I assume you mean here - https://goo.gl/maps/dKCn4kxKTSH2

If the weather gets better in the next few days I might come check it out just for an excuse to go fly.

You want to really make them mad, get it put on the sectional as a public airport.
    No, the public strip is a little north and on the other side of the creek. That is truly a private strip you are showing. I'm on a tablet and for some reason can't get Google to transfer to here but if you scan up and to the right you will see a small gravel strip with a long swamp in front of it. If you could down load it on here I will show you the access road to the creek. Other than that it is private and native land everywhere else.

I'm not looking to make them mad, I am sticking up for the rest of us Alexanderites. The Pompas arse attitude won't be tolerated anymore and I'm going to make sure of that. Anyone that has a cabin here has a right to land there and anyone who wants to land there also has that right. They own nothing ..... Including where they are tied down. Of course I would respect there space but they have no right to question people or stick their noses into anyone else's business. If they compromise and do two things I will stop. #1..... Make a couple of spaces for transient, and #2...... Mind their own business!

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Thinking the mad thing is covered.

You are thinking correctly! I'll be danged if I'm going to let a bunch of weekenders tell me where I can go and can't!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast