Thread: Fall Burbot

Default Fall Burbot

My father loves burbot, I used to live in the southwest where I can catch burbot anytime I want. He recently moved to Anchorage to live with me and asked me if there was any way I can get some burbot before freeze up? I dont own a boat or anything so I am pretty limited but I can walk as long as I have to if necessary. Can anyone direct me in the right direction? My email is angalga@gmail.com if you dont want to post on this thread but id really appreciate any leads. Thank you

The mouth of Rabideaux creek, turn left off the highway just after the big sue bridge just past talkeetna. Slow down while your still on the bridge cause the left turn is right there. The road loops to the left like is going under the bridge but dosnt. What are you going to be driving?? The mouth is down in the corner. Eeh bout 3-400 yards. Can walk or drive. Your choice. Bring 1oz weight, #6 hook of your choice, two trays of harring. 20" leader bout 15 lbs. After dinner time. Start in the light, end in the dark. 5 burb limit so depending on amount of people u bring limit should be quick. If you'd like, shoot me a message and ill meat ya'll there. I need some freash water ling myself. So darn good.

Used to bag a lot of silvers at that same spot. It is rather popular though, especially after this thread lol

True, but they destroyed sunshine and that would'a been my first option many years ago. honestly though, any mouth of clear water flowing into the big sue where salmon die will hold burbs, rabby just happens to be my favorite, can have a nice big fire right at your fishing spot. And not get yelled at for it!!! plus camping there is free and is a gorgeous area I think. Im headed there sometime in the first week of October.

Sunshine was always my fave. Take a canoe cross the clear water and drift down the big Su with worms and before you pass the mouth fish on! Oh wait I don't wanna drag a canoe down the hill let alone back up. What a bumber.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    Sunshine was always my fave. Take a canoe cross the clear water and drift down the big Su with worms and before you pass the mouth fish on! Oh wait I don't wanna drag a canoe down the hill let alone back up. What a bumber.
    Wasn't so long ago you could drive down there till they put in that gate.

The one thing with not being able to drive down that I don't like is fishing during dark. The only place I've had more run in with pissy bears was Byers creek. We had three bears come from all three sides at the same time one night and getting in the truck happens real quick in that situation. There was one on our bank one across the Su and one across sunshine creek.

Iv had that same problem with the bears at sunshine. I camped there one weekend and every day at least once I had a blacky give me attitude for no reason. I think its because of the size of the area, very compact. And for them to feel comfortable they need to chase everyone off. Needless to say, but they really don't like my .460s&w jingle bells. 8'' of ported cannon, makes vegetation near by do the hula. Bears tuck tail and run.

The three we had were big grizzlies. The one on our side spooked us when it started running our way and put a 30/06 round in the mud in front of it and when the mud dropped the eyes were at about 9 ft and twice as close. And with him and two other full grown grizzly's within 30 yards leaving felt better then a shoot out with 2000 lbs plus of grizzly bear being it was 3. I had a very sketchy experience at willow creek a few years back were I was fallowed by a big brownie/grizzly not sure what it would technically be there from the start of the slew were it meets the river all the way back to the camp ground. I had bear rounds in my 44 super redhawk Alaskan and he was 15-20 foot the whole way back as I walked backwards out the slough gun in his face to the raft take out. I spooked him as I walked over the log pile there he was laying. He seemed interested but wasn't jumpy or I would have unloaded. Being that close even if I hit him square I think he still could bite! So left him be and he turned at the campground and was gone. Funny thing is dude in a rv from Texas at 4:30 am is starting his Gen in the morning and wondered why I was walking backwards with my gun out. I told him and there him and his wife go to look for it armed with no more then PJ's and a camera.

Hey thanks, for all the info. I went out this weekend in the rain. Ended up with one and had a pesky sow black bear that didnt want us around all evening. Ive had way too many bear encounters this year so we ended up leaving early.