Thread: Looking for a levergun in 454 Casull or 45LC

Default Looking for a levergun in 454 Casull or 45LC

I have a Ruger SRK Toklat revolver and am looking to add a levergun which I've never owned. I would not be hunting with it, just to have as a woods carry gun when I backpack. I love how the Toklat allows me to shoot 45LC 95% time yet have the capability to shoot 454 the other 5%. From what I have been able to determine, Rossi is the only company that makes a 454 Casull levergun. I love to do the same with a Rossi 454 levergun and called them about it. They don't recommend shooting 45LC from it.

If I decide to get a 45LC levergun, who makes the most solid one that can take hot 45LC loads? Some people tout Winchester while others say that Rossi is pretty solid. There is also Browning, Henry, Marlin, Uberti, and a few others. I'm sentimentally leaning toward a Winchester big hoop levergun but that's way down the list in importance.

It's nice to know that my Ruger SRH can take whatever I can throw its way. It would be comforting to buy a levergun that I know can take higher pressures.

I have a Winchester model 92' TRAPPER in 45 COLT with 16" Octagon Barrel and it is a Take Down model. $1,399.00

I have the Rossi in 454. It will take any load the Ruger will. The reason for not shooting 45 Colt in these is the crud build up at the mouth of the 45 Colt case causing chambering issues for the 454. If cleaned as it should be, there is no problem or just use 454 cases loaded from light to max.

I too have a Rossi/Puma 454. Great little carbine. I started out like you, looking for a 45 Colt. I then found out about the 454, happened in to one locally and haven't looked back. I've shot everything from light 45 Colt to 425gr 454. But now all my shooting in it is 454. Which leads me to the question, why buy a 454 revolver to primarily shoot 45 Colt? Use the longer 454 brass. Just load up 454 to whatever you want. They don't have to be full house 454 loads. Here's a pic of my pair...

Here's a dual gun 454 load...

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'm not tough enough to shoot a 454 but I do like my Rossi 92 in .45 Colt mated with BH with 4 5/8" barrel and one in .44 Mag. with a 44 mag SBH and a 5 1/2" barrel. The Rossi needs a little smoothing out of the box but they are strong and shoot very nicely out to 100 yds.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I just bought a stainless steel Puma in .454......can't wait to wring it out!

I would imagine that 454 out of a 20 inch bbl would be very close to hot 45/70

Quote Originally Posted by budman5 View Post
    I would imagine that 454 out of a 20 inch bbl would be very close to hot 45/70
    I call it a Baby 45/70. 45/70 can shoot heavier faster but this little carbine so darn handy and will do the job nicely.

I've loaded and shot the following...

355ers at 1685
    335ers at 1800+
    425gr at 1450ish

All are very accurate.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My go to load is the Lee 300gr (actually about 317 using wheel weights) at about 1950 fps. I also load a 255gr at about 1250 in 454 cases as a plinker load that the wife likes to shoot. Just because you use 454 cases doesn't mean you have to go full throttle. Most people that have them like them a lot. You can get the large loop for the Rossi if you like that sort of thing.

I'm in the same boat. It's nice to be able to share ammo between your pistol & rifle. I've thought about the Rossi, but I've heard some bad thing about it. I've also had poorly made Brazilian made guns before. So I'm hesitant on getting the Rossi. How is your guys Rossi treating you?

I'm going to be getting the Henry Big Boy 45Colt in a couple of weeks. Form what I understand, It can handle Buffalo Bores. The down side is anything over 300gr the AOL will be to long to cycle. I might end up getting a Rossi some time down the line, but for now I just want a good looking, heavy duty, fun shooting lever gun for plinking.

I thought of taking a 454 brass and trimming it down to 45Colt and still having the small magnum rifle primer for the extra kick. I need to do a lot more research on that idea before doing so.

Let us know what lever gun you end up with.

The modern 1892 is the strongest of the pistol cartridge leverguns, hands down by about 10,000psi. Whether Winchester or Rossi, the 92's in .45Colt can be run up to 50,000psi, Marlins at 40,000psi.

Back when manufacturers were trying to adapt their existing leverguns to the .454, none of them survived. All the existing Marlin and Winchester guns gave up the ghost during testing. Only the 1886 was strong enough but it's obviously too large an action for the cartridge. The 1892 is the strongest but they had to use stronger alloys (like 17-4 stainless) to contain the backthrust.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    I'm in the same boat. It's nice to be able to share ammo between your pistol & rifle. I've thought about the Rossi, but I've heard some bad thing about it. I've also had poorly made Brazilian made guns before. So I'm hesitant on getting the Rossi. How is your guys Rossi treating you?

I'm going to be getting the Henry Big Boy 45Colt in a couple of weeks. Form what I understand, It can handle Buffalo Bores. The down side is anything over 300gr the AOL will be to long to cycle. I might end up getting a Rossi some time down the line, but for now I just want a good looking, heavy duty, fun shooting lever gun for plinking.

I thought of taking a 454 brass and trimming it down to 45Colt and still having the small magnum rifle primer for the extra kick. I need to do a lot more research on that idea before doing so.

Let us know what lever gun you end up with.
    The Henry is going to be a lot heavier than the Rossi but less robust.

There's no reason to trim .454 brass to .45Colt length. You'll also be altering case capacity and you have no data to work from. Standard .45Colt brass is plenty strong for 250-260's at 1800-2000fps.

I haven't shot mine a lot, maybe a hundred rds of max loads with no issues. Snyd has fired his a bunch with heavy loads. Some need cleaned up out of the box but mine worked very well without doing anything to it. You need to go somewhere you can handle one. Fit and finish of the wood isn't as good as a Miruku Winchester but are you going to shoot it or use it as a wall decoration. Well built guns for 1/2 what a Jap Winchester costs.

The Japanese Winchesters and Brownings are really nice and I've got several of them but it's hard to beat the value of the Rossi guns.

You have a good idea. Many moons ago I picked up a Mod. 94 Win. in .44 Mag. and it is what my wife totes. Easy to carry, holds 10 rounds and has some punch. We call it Grama's berry picking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    You have a good idea. Many moons ago I picked up a Mod. 94 Win. in .44 Mag. and it is what my wife totes. Easy to carry, holds 10 rounds and has some punch. We call it Grama's berry picking gun.
    ... You could also call the levergun the original "assault rifle"

Well we got ruger to build the 480 SBH. Now we need to get Rossi to build one of their lever guns in 480...man what a combo that would make.

Looks like I'm a day late and dollar short. Maybe Rossi will produce more of these...
    Last edited by budman5; 12-26-2015 at 17:57. Reason: research

Quote Originally Posted by budman5 View Post
    Well we got ruger to build the 480 SBH. Now we need to get Rossi to build one of their lever guns in 480...man what a combo that would make.

Looks like I'm a day late and dollar short. Maybe Rossi will produce more of these...

Keep your eyes and ears open and you might be able to find one of the Rossi 480's they used to make.

PM sent...