Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rutting caribou meat

Default rutting caribou meat

so i just killed my first caribou...well reindeer on kodiak. I had no idea a rutting bull tasted so rank. I already had it processed into steaks, roasts, burger, and breakfast sausage. i've cooked steaks and burgers and can't hardly stand it. any advice to pull some of that musk taste out? or did i just learn a valuable lesson? any advice would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbersig View Post
    so i just killed my first caribou...well reindeer on kodiak. I had no idea a rutting bull tasted so rank. I already had it processed into steaks, roasts, burger, and breakfast sausage. i've cooked steaks and burgers and can't hardly stand it. any advice to pull some of that musk taste out? or did i just learn a valuable lesson? any advice would be appreciated!
    You just learned why people only kill ONE rutting bull. Chili, lots of chili
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have taken dozens of rutting deer when I lived in Wa. Agree they don't taste as good as a non-rutting deer, but the taste wasn't enough to make me not want to eat it.
    Try chopping the steaks and roasts up and make stew meat, or fajita stuff with it. Cook it well, and add a little extra seasoning.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Maybe try canning some of it in jars. i just did 14 quarts of moose. Granted it wasn't from a rutting animal, but WOW did that make some fine strganof.

Chilli will disguise it. I've done that before. Also grinded all steaks into burger and made sausage out of it but I used too much seasoning and was real salty. Again went into chilli and pretty spicy good.

I've killed quite a few big rutting bull elk and they taste like filet mignon compared to this bou! I cooked some burger last night and I think with more seasoning it might be ok. the stuff we cooked with a lot of green chile peppers was terrible. all you could taste is the bou even with all those spicy peppers! I'm trying taco seasoning for tacos or chile next along with some breakfast sausage but I'm pretty sure the steaks and roasts are all gonna have be be ground!

September 10th is the usual cut off
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Just don't share it with unsuspecting friends and neighbors. This is why we often hear, "I tried (insert game animal here) and it tasted too gamey."

Well, you can share the chili after you perfect the recipe. Have a bonfire and invite a crowd over. We did this last winter. Ran an extension cord out to keep the giant crock pot going. It was full of moose chili when we started. Empty real fast. Had the sauna fired up for later. Was a good time.

No one and NOTHING can even come close to the terrible taste of a rutting Caribou. Nothing, not Moose, Deer, Elk or whatever. Theres no comparison.

The best way is to look before shooting, if the penis sheath is dangling, the Caribou is acting aggressive and comming easily to you (we call 'em suicides)

The best way, if possible to predict the oncomming rut is when they stop eating and tank up on water, with almost no food in their stomach.

When were inna boat, the smell of rut on a Bull is easly smelled and them guys passed up .

Reindeer typically rut about 2 weeks Before the Caribou, their being an introduced from Norway 100 years ago or so, they still keep their rut cycle.

Bull Caribou in the Western Arctic herd will rut in a couple weeks.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

We shot a couple in early October 10 years ago. Never hunted bou in october after that, of the 3 we shot the smallest was the only edible one. We made jerky and they were still terrible. We marinated some steaks for 2 days and they were almost edible. Season them and mix them with other meats. Bacon makes almost anything edible.

Years ago a couple buddies of mine came up and went out and killed some bulls out of the Mulchatna heard in October. They took them down to Indian Valley meats to get processed and Indian Valley wouldn't even let them bring it into the shop. The guy there said that if they even brought it in, it would more than likely taint everything else that was in there hanging. Fortunately for me, that's been my only experience with rutting Caribou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart move by Indian Valley, no doubt they had their learning curve over that!
    Nothing compares to the inedible meat of a rutting caribou, although few other animals will drink the urine right out of a cow in estrous like a bull caribou will. It completely permeates all of the bull's tissue.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Smart move by Indian Valley, no doubt they had their learning curve over that!
    Nothing compares to the inedible meat of a rutting caribou, although few other animals will drink the urine right out of a cow in estrous like a bull caribou will. It completely permeates all of the bull's tissue.
    This........

Sorry guys from the L48, a rutting anything else as said is just not the same.

As a rule I don't kill them out of velvet.

Try a brine,, salt the steaks in salt water to draw out any blood, change the water and soak another night in buttermilk, the bm will also draw out blood and help tenderize and mild the musk.

Curries are another way to enjoy less than quality meat.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I have taken dozens of rutting deer when I lived in Wa. Agree they don't taste as good as a non-rutting deer, but the taste wasn't enough to make me not want to eat it.
    As others have said, caribou are totally, completely different. Inedible is not too strong a word when it comes to one in the full rut. Right now they're probably just getting geared up for the rut, but come October it's beyond the point of just adding a bit of seasoning to mask the flavor.

If money allowed, I would get it processed into something along the lines of polish sausage. We had some early November bulls that we did this with, and they were fine. That said, they weren't full into the rut, but rather post-rut at that point.

Cook well done in the oven on top of a pine board. Discard meat, eat board.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    This........

Sorry guys from the L48, a rutting anything else as said is just not the same.

As a rule I don't kill them out of velvet.

Try a brine,, salt the steaks in salt water to draw out any blood, change the water and soak another night in buttermilk, the bm will also draw out blood and help tenderize and mild the musk.

Curries are another way to enjoy less than quality meat.

I just did did this tonight and you are right it is better. I will try salt water then buttermilk next time. Thanks for all the replays guys. I'm glad it's not just me! My buddy just killed one in Canada a few weeks ago and it was good. But this reindeer was def rutting mid sept on Kodiak when I shot him. We whacked the two biggest Bulls in the herd and noticed the smell of the meat right away. ive killed some big rutting elk and rutting deer and you're right those done compare in the realm of nasty this thing is in.

I agree with the buttermilk or milk brine overnight then crockpot as i would normally do.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

A few years ago a buddy of mine shot a moose in Fairbanks,when we were processing it he pulled an old broadhead out of its back, the meatsmelled horrible! He talked to a meat processor and the guy said it was bone rot;anyways the only way to eat the thing was to cover it with lots of spices. Nowthe other part, you taste with your nose much more then you tongue! My auntlost her sense of smell a few years ago and now can only taste a few things(mustard, hot sauce… ginger) so the key is lots of spices that cover up thatsmell because that will be what effects how it tastes.

Kept a boned out deer carcass in a creek for several days on a hunt high in the Cascade Mountains. The water was moving and cold. When we butchered the deer, the meat was very pale like veal, and the mildest tasting deer I ever ate. Perhaps try soaking some of the caribou in ice water for a few days, changing the water out to get rid of the blood. Won't cost anything to try. I often soak wild meat in really cold water, or ice water for a few hours, and then drain before cooking.
    There is a post in the cooking thread about 'velveting' meat. We do it with the stuff we stir fry. That might be worth a try also. Experiment. You might get some good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbersig View Post
    I just did did this tonight and you are right it is better. I will try salt water then buttermilk next time. Thanks for all the replays guys. I'm glad it's not just me! My buddy just killed one in Canada a few weeks ago and it was good. But this reindeer was def rutting mid sept on Kodiak when I shot him. We whacked the two biggest Bulls in the herd and noticed the smell of the meat right away. ive killed some big rutting elk and rutting deer and you're right those done compare in the realm of nasty this thing is in.
    You said (in an earlier post) that you also shot a couple deer. Was there any taste/small transference to the deer meat. I'm guessing that they were both stored in close proximity until (at least) your air taxi pickup. I believe that Kodiak deer is the best tasting venison I've ever had, period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast