Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Moose Hunt

Default Family Moose Hunt

I took my family out for a "moose hunt" more like a drive with a gun. My son has a cow tag for Pt. Mac so we loaded up the van and decided to take a Sunday afternoon drive to see if we could find us a moose. We drive to a spot we had spotted a cow the week before and decided to look around. With my 7 boys, wife and myself I wasn't too optimistic, but thought we would give it one last try. I have spent most weekends and some of my evenings trying to find me/him a moose. I have had several repairs/breakdowns on my atv and was having a rather frustrating season thus far. We didn't see anything at that spot, so decided to explore some more down the road. We get to the end and decided to turn around and head home as it was getting late and we needed to get the kids to bed. Sure enough we rounded a corner and what's standing beside the road a little fork horn.
    He walked off down a dirt road and into a newly excavated clearing. I grabbed the gun and went after him. Once I confirmed he was legal a quick 100yd shot it a dirt clearing he was down.
    I didn't really bring what I needed to process him in the dark, so I called my brother-in-law and seen if he could bring his trailer and we could load it whole.
    After some excitement getting my brother-in-law unstuck we loaded it on the trailer and brought it home to do the processing in the garage.
    Couldn't be happier that I was able to get my first moose with the whole family involved.
    Btw I have 4 boys of my own and 3 foster sons.

Good times

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    Btw I have 4 boys of my own and 3 foster sons.
    You're a good man....congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Now that's a Sunday drive. Nice work

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wish all my Sunday drives ended something like that!

Very nice! Looks like you have an entire crew in the works for future packing jobs!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

That's pretty cool! Congrats too the whole family! I wish all my Sunday drives would end like that

Congrats! Looks like it will be easy to process.

I like getting them home whole. I use a winch to drag them into the back of my truck. Hang them at my shop off the forks of my loader. Hose them off inside and out with a fire hose. Let them drain. Hang them in the shop to skin and quarter. looks like a beef hanging. Nice and clean. The processors that grind my burger, and make my hot dogs and terriyaki sticks often comment that the meat we bring them is the cleanest they get.
    Congrats on your Family Hunt, and getting it home whole. I imagine the boys will be helping you butcher it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

WOW that is great wish all moose hunts were like that congrats
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Way Cool! Should help feed all them boys.

Not to be a party pooper but isn't that a road/driveable surface. Congrats on the moose though.

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    Not to be a party pooper but isn't that a road/driveable surface. Congrats on the moose though.
    Oh boy here we go... leave the man alone as one can clearly see that is not a road but a lot they are clearing for who knows what...

I have hosed a few from a driveable surface. The regs refer to a maintained road. Remember back in the old days when they said you had to be 100 yards off the road? That was laughable. I got that changed with a regulation proposal. Moose is 50 yards off the road, and you have to be 100? Now your shooting towards the road. What is a drievable surface anyway? I have big meats on my rig. It will drive over almost anything.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Oh boy here we go... leave the man alone as one can clearly see that is not a road but a lot they are clearing for who knows what...
    Looks like a rifle range to me. Perfect for letting some rounds fly.

Just to clarify. It was a driveway to a cleared area. I was off of the driveway when I shot, to the left of the outhouse in the pic. It was a place you could drive to, but as my brother-in-law found out it had soft areas as it was just cleared. So no I didn't shoot from a drivable surface. If you want to play armchair cop maybe you should know what you are talking about.

I would rep you if I could through taptalk! Too many arm chair cop wannabees

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Just to clarify. It was a driveway to a cleared area. I was off of the driveway when I shot, to the left of the outhouse in the pic. It was a place you could drive to, but as my brother-in-law found out it had soft areas as it was just cleared. So no I didn't shoot from a drivable surface. If you want to play armchair cop maybe you should know what you are talking about.
    You left the most important details out man what you shoot it with??

Default Family Moose Hunt

Tikka T3 Super Light .270 Win with 130 grain Berger VLD Leupold VX3 2.5X8

Tikka T3 Super Light .270 Win with 130 grain Berger VLD Leupold VX3 2.5X8
    Nice care to share your load recipe or were you shooting factory stuff?? My daughter shot her moose with her 270 as well using 140gr hornady BTSP, 58.5gr H4831 with a cci 200 primer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast