Thread: What spinning rod for trout (2nd try)?

Default What spinning rod for trout (2nd try)?

I guess my title confused people. I am debating what spinning rod to buy not "spinners".....but thanks for the info on spinners anyways.

"just wondering people's recommendation for trout fishing in the mat/su valley (hiking upstream on the bigger rivers) and as we drive between talkeetna and denali (hopefully some grayling) the little streams in mid-August. I'll probably be throwing 1/8 oz. panther martins and #0-1 mepps etc. with thin 6 pound line.

What do u think? UL? l? Medium light? Medium? I've always liked longer rods for casts and shock absorbtion (7 footers for everything from ocean to lake), but I think maybe something shorter like 5"6 or 6' may be easier to use if the rivers are very wooded and brushy (no idea if they are). Will ultralight work? Will a 7 footer be a pain? I don't want to have to chase every decent fish if its heavy current so I'm thinking something light rated 4-8#. What do u use?"

Wasilla, Alaska

Default which spinning rod

I use an ugly stik 1 piece ultra lite older 4 1/2 footer, my wife has a 2 piece ugly stik ultra lite, and my son picked up a pflueger ul for about 25 at sportsmans. When he lets that one sit around I snag it. Great fun on that one. My daughter has one that I picked up a few years back called a black widow, forgot who makes that one. It's a one piece also. That one is alot of fun too. I go cheap on the ul's because they are usually banging around alot and some of the places we frequent have alot of people. First time out with my son's pflueger some kid came running down to look at the fish knocked it over from the tree it was leaning on, stepped on it and snapped it. Son was ticked because he paid for it. There are some nicer ones out there but those are our kick around in the canoe, lay down on the rocks while your unhooking your fish poles. But they work great. When we are in really swift water, or going for large trout we bump up the size some. The ul's I mentioned are used in the valley streams just fine by us. We do get some in the faster holes and play them out into the flatter, calmer sections below just about every hole you'll find. If you hike around enough on the valley streams I think a seven footer will frustrate you. Alot of areas have your back against the brush and the shorter ones allow for a pretty precise cast or that ever needed flip under just the right branch or tree especially with a 1/8 oz spinner. Also hiking some of those streams leads to getting out of the water and through the trees around some deep holes and sweepers, the short poles are easier to walk through the brush with. As for the grayling on the denali, ul all the way. They are a blast. A 2 weight fly rod is a blast on grayling and small trout also. Just my opinions.

I've been using ul 5 1/2' rods with small reels and 6# test, though in lakes. When I got a 17" laker the rod was a bit light, but for 12-14" trout it's fine.

between wasilla and palmer

I actually use a telescoping rod when hiking. they are easy to cary any whereand they work just fine. I think mine extends to about 5 1/2 feet or so.

Go for a 5 1/2 foot ugly stick light pro. Team it with an okuma avenger spinning reel. Very tough...i've had mine for several years and it's been banged around. The light pro series are black with blue and green thread. Wal-mart carries them for around $35/each. I have a 5, 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and 7 footers. Great rod for the money!! Mine have caught everything from panfish to steelhead and coho salmon in the "great lakes".