Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another bear mauling at skilak

Default another bear mauling at skilak

This evening there was another bear mauling at Skilak Lake. Man is in the hospital.

Good thing that there are so "FEW" Brown Bears in the Refuge.........

Good thing that there are so "FEW" Brown Bears in the "KENAI PENINSULA".........

I advocate the 'shoot and release' method for those of us who run into trouble bears. Seems there are way too many of them. The refuge/green peace/ tree huggers, bunny rubbers are not helping us out here.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Article says...."The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as well as the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, sent personnel to Skilak Lake in an attempt to find the bear that attacked Matthews."
    I wonder why they sent personnel to find the bear after it was reported it was protecting cubs.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Article says...."The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as well as the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, sent personnel to Skilak Lake in an attempt to find the bear that attacked Matthews."
    I wonder why they sent personnel to find the bear after it was reported it was protecting cubs.
    I guess you didn't read past the 4th sentence...
    the brother said he was sure he hit the animal twice with his .300 and the troopers were going to determine if it was fatally wounded or not...

I think if you will read the referenced article in post number two (2) of this thread you will see "NO" reference to a Brother or a .300 caliber firearm, or shots fired. My guess is that your information came from a different source.

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
    I guess you didn't read past the 4th sentence...
    the brother said he was sure he hit the animal twice with his .300 and the troopers were going to determine if it was fatally wounded or not...

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
    Where did you read that?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I think if you will read the referenced article in post number two (2) of this thread you will see "NO" reference to a Brother or a .300 caliber firearm, or shots fired. My guess is that your information came from a different source.
    You should go read the article. It is right there in the 6th paragraph. It specifically states that he fired twice with the .300 and believes he hit it both times.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Where did you read that?
    It is in the article at the link in post #2 above. 6th paragraph is where it states he believes he hit it both times with the .300. Towards the end is where they state that they are looking for the bear to see if it is wounded.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It is in the article at the link in post #2 above. 6th paragraph is where it states he believes he hit it both times with the .300. Towards the end is where they state that they are looking for the bear to see if it is wounded.
    It is now. I read that article shortly after AGL posted it, and none of that was there at the time. Interestingly, I double checked it right after fish-hunter made his snarky comment and it wasn't in there then either. Perhaps some server cache magic at play there... Regardless, the article is obviously being edited on the fly without disclosure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

It is now. I read that article shortly after AGL posted it, and none of that was there at the time. Interestingly, I double checked it right after fish-hunter made his snarky comment and it wasn't in there then either. Perhaps some server cache magic at play... Regardless, the article is obviously being edited on the fly without notice.
    Snarky??
    wasn't trying to be Snarky. Cod asked a question and I pointed out the article addressed it. I apologize if my "Snarkiness" offended anyone....

It is now. I read that article shortly after AGL posted it, and none of that was there at the time. Interestingly, I double checked it right after fish-hunter made his snarky comment and it wasn't in there then either. Perhaps some server cache magic at play there... Regardless, the article is obviously being edited on the fly without disclosure.
    For me, it was there in the article before fish-hunter's reply was posted so it was likely a cache issue with your browser or ISP. That was the first time I had pulled up the story, so I was getting a new download of the latest information.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    For me, it was there in the article before fish-hunter's reply was posted so it was likely a cache issue with your browser or ISP. That was the first time I had pulled up the story, so I was getting a new download of the latest information.
    The story is three times as long now as it was when AGL posted the link... Lesson here should be that people should take what they see/read with a grain of salt, (and avoid making accusations about another persons reading comprehension based on false assumptions).

And, newspapers should not change content of a story, once posted/published, without annotating an update. That's just plain unprofessional, if not unethical.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Good thing that there are so "FEW" Brown Bears in the Refuge.........
    Since it only takes one bear to maul someone, guess we ought to just kill 'em all, eh?
    You hunt in Alaska, you hunt with bears. Sometimes you get unlucky, that's all there is to it. Not like the guy got mauled while dumping his garbage in sterling or something... He was in the bush, where there are bears. C'est la vie.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Since it only takes one bear to maul someone, guess we ought to just kill 'em all, eh?
    You hunt in Alaska, you hunt with bears. Sometimes you get unlucky, that's all there is to it. Not like the guy got mauled while dumping his garbage in sterling or something... He was in the bush, where there are bears. C'est la vie.
    I had to get in the habit of packing heat out to get my paper in the driveway due to a brownie hanging around. Had some neighbors who couldn't be convinced they needed to haul their trash off more than once every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I had to get in the habit of packing heat out to get my paper in the driveway due to a brownie hanging around
    I advocate the 'shoot and release' method for those of us who run into trouble bears
    So? Did you get a tag and "take care of it"? Or was it not actually a "trouble bear"?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have a 20 ga. Remington 11-87 with a 21" barrel, and I have (3) Three flashlights duck taped to the fore-end. I never leave the cabin in the dark without that semi-auto. It would have been a delightful tool to have had in camps on the Alaska Peninsula. I had very few problems with bears on Kodiak Island, but have been through 4 decades of hell on the Alaska Peninsula.

I had to get in the habit of packing heat out to get my paper in the driveway due to a brownie hanging around. Had some neighbors who couldn't be convinced they needed to haul their trash off more than once every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    So? Did you get a tag and "take care of it"? Or was it not actually a "trouble bear"?

I didn't shoot it, but I suspect someone else did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast