Thread: Dead Moose!!!!

Angry Dead Moose!!!!

Took son for an easy walk in the woods to get a quick evening hunt in near valley, just to find two dead cows. One not touched the other had hyde removed. This is just ridiculous should not happen but does sicknin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thayer the slayer View Post
    Took son for an easy walk in the woods to get a quick evening hunt in near valley, just to find two dead cows. One not touched the other had hyde removed. This is just ridiculous should not happen but does sicknin!!!
    Are you saying that they took the hide and not the meat?

And where was this?

One was completely untouched. The other had hyde missing, poachers must of got spooked. Both were rotting about 3-4 days old. Meat not touched.

I hope you called the troopers... They do a pretty good job finding these turds that do this. I cannot stand poachers not saying I'm a saint but man let two moose to rot is complete bull****!

It "WILL" get worse, much worse. The more humans that move to Alaska, the more Alaska sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I hope you called the troopers... They do a pretty good job finding these turds that do this. I cannot stand poachers not saying I'm a saint but man let two moose to rot is complete bull****!

I found a dead cow off the Escape Route a few years ago. Saw 2 fellows acting weird the day before. Driving a blue chevy. I should have noted the license number. They only took the back straps and 1 hind quarter. It was likely unedible by the time we found it. I called the troopers. Doubt they ever figured out who it was. Now days I note license numbers and will take pics of vehicles in my hunting area even when things don't seem suspicious.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It "WILL" get worse, much worse. The more humans that move to Alaska, the more Alaska sucks.
    2014- 763732 people living in Alaska
    Their was 27,600 resident moose hunters which turns out to be 4% of the population in Alaska is moose hunting. So to say it will get much worse is a little extreme. Most poachers like drunk drivers have done it before so these guys shooting these animals will keep doing it until they get caught.

2014- 763732 people living in Alaska
    Their was 27,600 resident moose hunters which turns out to be 4% of the population in Alaska is moose hunting. So to say it will get much worse is a little extreme. Most poachers like drunk drivers have done it before so these guys shooting these animals will keep doing it until they get caught.
    It's not really a question of what percentage of the population is hunters. The question is what percentage of the hunters are poachers/scofflaws. The problem is already bed enough; as the population grows it will only get worse. AGL is right about that. The challenge is what to do about it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It's not really a question of what percentage of the population is hunters. The question is what percentage of the hunters are poachers/scofflaws. The problem is already bed enough; as the population grows it will only get worse. AGL is right about that. The challenge is what to do about it.
    If that theory was remotely correct then states like Colorado, Montana would have a rampant poaching problem. Colorado population is 5.36 million people, Montana is 1.02 million... I think our problem is we turn a blind eye to a lot of things in Alaska (would we ignore a cow moose getting shot if we knew their was no cow season in that area probably not) while in lower 48 people tend to be nosy and would report you.

If that theory was remotely correct then states like Colorado, Montana would have a rampant poaching problem. Colorado population is 5.36 million people, Montana is 1.02 million... I think our problem is we turn a blind eye to a lot of things in Alaska (would we ignore a cow moose getting shot if we knew their was no cow season in that area probably not) while in lower 48 people tend to be nosy and would report you.
    When I lived in Colorado I personally knew people who kept their freezers filled year round by poaching and openly bragged about it. Still, difficult to catch them and make a case. I've also lived in Montana, Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, and it was quite common in many areas to find deer and elk with only a hindquarter removed and the rest left to rot. You'll always have that element as a percentage of society, regardless of population density. Here in AK tho, we seem to have a higher percentage of scofflaws, as our state is especially attractive to that mentality. Based on what I've seen and heard here in AK, there's no question in my mind that the number of animals found left in the woods to rot, or self reported as sub-legal mistakes, account for only a small percentage of the overall number of illegally taken animals. The challenge remains what to do about it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Anyone convicted of wanton waste, should lose their hunting privileges for life......in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Anyone convicted of wanton waste, should lose their hunting privileges for life......in all states.
    Without question.
    #Resist

That's what the locals said when you moved here...

Oh wait, since you've been here a while you should get special treatment? Most all your posts suggest it. We get it, you're a leach on AK society... you should move back to where you came from and leave AK to those who deserve it.

Those that left the cows are No different than an outsider trying to push moose meat you can smell gone bad at the airport while the antlers and the cape is preserved with salt for a wall mount, after the fly in/out guide has dropped them off.

Sounds to me like the punishment for poaching needs to be a little more strict. Maybe a fair amount of jail time, fines and losing hunting privileges for life is what should be enforced for the worthless individuals that are caught. Maybe there should be some sort of bonus for people that see or have evidence of any poaching that turns into conviction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    Sounds to me like the punishment for poaching needs to be a little more strict. Maybe a fair amount of jail time, fines and losing hunting privileges for life is what should be enforced for the worthless individuals that are caught. Maybe there should be some sort of bonus for people that see or have evidence of any poaching that turns into conviction.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../safeguard.pdf

There is. The biggest problem is that it's so hard in this huge state to actually catch a poacher or wanton waster in the act. Both for law enforcement and other hunters keeping their eyes open.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post

I believe if the fines or punishment are too high, then there will be more wanton waste. If someone shoots a sub legal and self reports, it ain't the end of the world. Somebody screws up and is caught taking it out, it is more painful. If the pain and expense of getting caught are too severe, well then they will just walk/drive away. Wanton waste is, and should be, 'the big one.'

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I agree with you there
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I hear from reliable sources that poachers shot 4 illegal moose on permnente trail, but a hunter. Videoed the culprits and contacted fish and game who found and cited the asses. Another hunter was in Boulder creek area and saw 3 poached moose 2 of which were not salvaged. Some hunters reported this to fish and game. Hunters need to report violations to stop the illegal slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by somerset View Post
    I hear from reliable sources that poachers shot 4 illegal moose on permnente trail, but a hunter. Videoed the culprits and contacted fish and game who found and cited the asses.
    Only "cited"...??? Imo they should have been hauled off to jail...!!! But I guess "something" is better than nothing.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!