Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance navigation limits.....

Default Insurance navigation limits.....

Has anyone had issues with insurance companies restricting navigation limits where it's not even worth going out? I've had multiple quotes with ace insurance, markel American insurance, seaworthy and State Farm. Markel had the only navigation limits that were broad enough to go to PWS, kachemak, and resurrection bay. Ace wants to restrict no further than Montague/hitchenbrook, or aialik cape, or Elizabeth island. No more than 25 miles offshore and not blying sound. This is doable but I'd like to travel further at times. Seaworthy quoted nothing north of 60 degrees latitude. That means I would be able to put in at Seward or Whittier but I can leave homer and drive to Florida. What is wrong with these underwriters? I have a captains license and have been operating for over 20 years, so what gives? Is it because I have a Glacier Craft and they have to make things as impossible as the building process was?

I just did a mock up quote on Skisafe's website who had a good price and great navigation limits. Has anyone had any experience with this company?
    Any advice on companies to go with?

State Farm was good for me, only thing I can't do is go around the South end of Kodiak or past Kayak Island. They told me if I wanted to go out of the limits let them know and they could add the other zones. Right around $1000 a year on a 28 ft Kingfisher.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I got Ace and I'm currently restricted to 10 mi S of Montague and not go south of Nuka Pt. I remember complaining about the original area restriction and got it expanded. I also remember broker saying if area was an issue, that he could look at other options (say if I wanted to go from Seward to Homer). Maybe you can get the area expanded with a little discussion with a company rep?

Don't take it personal, they work off statistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a few discussions with ace about the limits and that is the final offer. Sounds like you may have the same limits. This is aces quote; "Warranted confined to: Prince William Sound not south of Montague and Hichinbrook islands, Resurrection Bay not south of Aialik Cape and the connecting waters of Blying Sound however during the period 10/1 to 5/15, your vessel isnot covered while in the waters of Blying Sound; navigation also includes theinside waters of Cook Inlet including Kachemak Bay not south of Cape Elizabeth but excluding the connecting waters"

The seaworthy quote states "Pacific coastal and inland waters of Canada and Alaska, not north of 60 degrees North Latitude and not west of 155 degrees West Longitude. It iswarranted the boat is never more than 50 miles from the coast."
    60 degrees latitude runs through southern Montague island.

Give Mike Miller Insurance a call. He is a marine insurance broker. 1-800-553-3624 or email him at mikeglobaltraveler@hotmail.com.

He will tailor a policy to your needs. The coverage I have is much better than what I had with state farm and costs less.

As far as the pain and hardship you experienced going through a GC build, it does go away. It's been eight years for me and I can sit without any pain and the limp is hardly noticeable. Enjoy your boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Hahaha! Wasn't taken personal. Im just a little tired of fighting my way during the whole 8 years of the Glacier Craft build and now that im ready for sea trials i was having a tough time finding the right insurance. It may be hard to see but i do laugh at the irony of this!! Im just happy its finally hitting the water soon.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Don't take it personal, they work off statistics.

I'd talk to insurance brokers, but I would talk to accredited marine surveyors as well. Those are the folks who do the damage claims and inspections. They are ones who really know what gets covered and what does not, and they also know what claims insurance companies choose to pay and don't. My father in law has been a marine surveyor for decades and he travels all over the State. It seems he gets more money from doing claims than actual condition and valuation surveys for buyers and sellers to give you an idea.

As for which policy to get? I cannot say. But it sure sucks to pay a lot of money for coverage you thought you had but don't. Unfortunately most insurance brokers are clueless and the marine stuff is less than 10% of their business so they aren't experts. Actual yacht policies from marine specific companies are way better all the way around than something from GEICO, Statefarm, etc... (not saying those two are bad either just those companies offer boat insurance but that isn't their specialty).

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Hahaha! Wasn't taken personal. Im just a little tired of fighting my way during the whole 8 years of the Glacier Craft build and now that im ready for sea trials i was having a tough time finding the right insurance. It may be hard to see but i do laugh at the irony of this!! Im just happy its finally hitting the water soon.
    Good to hear, is your GC build story on here somewhere, I'm having trouble fathoming how that could take 8 years! I had a very aggravating experience getting home insurance for the first time, so I feel your pain!

My story is not on this forum. I'm not sure if it would be allowed or not. I would love, absolutely love to post it here somewhere if the admin allowed. Anyone can PM me and I'd be happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Good to hear, is your GC build story on here somewhere, I'm having trouble fathoming how that could take 8 years! I had a very aggravating experience getting home insurance for the first time, so I feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    My story is not on this forum. I'm not sure if it would be allowed or not. I would love, absolutely love to post it here somewhere if the admin allowed. Anyone can PM me and I'd be happy to share.
    Ah ok, I recall a thread or two that were about GC builds so I thought one of them might have been yours.

I won't be in the market for that class of boat anytime soon so it's all light reading for me!

Well whatever you do don't buy from glacier craft unless it's already built. Just look up the owners name on Alaska court view.

Give Mike Miller a call like Spoiled One recommended.

Give Mike Miller Insurance a call. He is a marine insurance broker. 1-800-553-3624 FREE or email him at mikeglobaltraveler@hotmail.com.

Mike only does marine insurance and has been in the Alaska ins business for something like 30 years. He knows Alaska and Alaskan boats. Highly recommended and he will get you the insurance you need/want.

Could buy mine, I'll be ready to sell in the next year or so.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Try Doug Shaffer at Associated Insurance they are above the GPS store on Oldseward Great people Phone number is 907 349 2229 any of the guys there are good I use doug good luck

Thanks for the info everyone. I will call those suggested. I just got a quote from progressive ranging from 2600-5000$. Hahahahahaha! Ridiculous.

Charterboat Operator

sounds like FLO was having a bad day!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    sounds like FLO was having a bad day!
    Ha ha ha!!!

That's a crazy number, my considerably cheaper river boat insurance was super cheap through Progressive compared to Country, who insures my home and autos.

I think it's like $160 a year, thought the insured value is only $13000

THat is weird.
    ACE gave me a quote a few years ago. I was told any US waters and Canada, just not Mexico and below. And if I remember it was for 30 miles offshore

Vessel Information: 2000, 24 ft., BAYLINER, 2452
    Engine Information: Inboard/Outdrive, Gas-Fume Detector, 260 h.p.
    Vessel Location: AK Lay Up Period: Not Applicable
    Navigation Limits: Inland or coastwise waters of the continental US, Alaska, Hawaii & Canada
    Policy Type: Boatsman® Policy (Agreed value)
    Coverage Limit Deductible Premium
    Vessel & Engine(s) $35,000 $525 $320
    Liability Coverage (incl. Pollution)1 $500,000 $167
    Medical Payments (per person) $5,000 $0
    Uninsured Boater $500,000 $0
    Trailer $3,000 $250 $30
    Unscheduled Personal Property $5,000 $250 $50
    Towing & Assistance $1,000 $0
    Tender/Dinghy Included See Special Terms $0
    Owner’s Liability to Crew (0 Paid Crew) Not Selected $0
    Total Premium: $567
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452