Thread: Another kodiak question...

Default Another kodiak question...

Okay here we go again on kodiak.

My question is this. I'm borrowing a bear fence.
    Do I put the deer meat in the fence and the tent a little ways away. Or should I put everything inside the fence and rely on it?

What do you guys prefer? I don't know if I'll be able to get it high enough off the ground, probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part I do all my hunting away from camp and try and set the meat up somewhere in that location. The only time I have lost meat to bears was on Kodiak and it was in my camp. I didn't have it inside the bear fence because the bear fence was only big enough to go around my tent and vestibule but I still don't like the idea of having bears in my camp getting my meat. If they are going to get to the meat I just soon have it be a mile or so away from my camp, but I have never lost meat when it's been outside of the camp. I just got back from Kodiak from a goat/deer hunt. We did all of our hunting at around 3000' elevation and in the general area where we had our spike camp but then packed all the meat back down to the lake where we had flown in to. The lake was a better place for the meat anyway because there were places for us to set it up, off the ground, to allow air to move around it which we couldn't do where our spike camp was. Not too many decent size bushes/trees at 3000' elevation. Anyway, may or may not be the proper way to do things but, that's the way I do it and will continue to do it.

we just got back from a deer and reindeer hunt and we rented a fence from Kodiak kamps. we made it big enough to do two wires around the whole camp and them did a smaller area inside that with 5 wires surrounding our meat and horns. but we were very diligent in keeping our camp clean. drying out meat, etc... we also put the meat in dry bags after it was dried and sunk them in the lake we were camped on. had one bear come in one night but didn't even test the fence or anything. I was told those bears are hunted enough that if you keep the smells down as best you can and keep everything clean so the temptation for them is reduced you should be fine. This was our first time on Kodiak and hunting around grizzlies so I am by far no expert but that is what the fish and game folks and air service guys told us to do and it worked fine.

Depends on where you're flying into, if there's any cottonwood s around, get it up high in that tree.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks for the advice folks.

Just got back, and I also borrowed and utilized a fence.
    I set up a small two-strand enclosure around our tents, and when we got goat/deer meat down and into camp, we moved the tents about eighty yards away from the fence and left the meat inside the fenced area. There were no high trees that we could utilize.

There were zero bears up high judging from what we saw, and also from what Roland at Seahawk conveyed, but that is probably no longer the case. Fish runs are probably waning and berries are likely now the main forage...Bears should be heading up.

Proud to be an American!

Indeed! I'm struggling to decide what my final plan is.
    Either pay the coin and float the river or fly into a lake.
    Roland says pay the piper, so that's what I'll probably do.

I'm thinking about 2 bear fences. One big one for camp and a smaller one about 100 meters away for the meat. Like to keep a little close so I have eyes on it and can scare bears off if needed still.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Just got back, and I also borrowed and utilized a fence.
    I set up a small two-strand enclosure around our tents, and when we got goat/deer meat down and into camp, we moved the tents about eighty yards away from the fence and left the meat inside the fenced area. There were no high trees that we could utilize.

There were zero bears up high judging from what we saw, and also from what Roland at Seahawk conveyed, but that is probably no longer the case. Fish runs are probably waning and berries are likely now the main forage...Bears should be heading up.
    ]

I doubt that. I've seen bears catching silvers well into November. Bears are pretty individualistic, IMO. The most "high" bears (I've seen on Kodiak, during mid-October/mid-November) were crossing a ridge or mountain. Just about all the feeding I've seen them do has been low - on fish or deer.