Thread: Kenai peninsula meat processors

Default Kenai peninsula meat processors

Looking for a different meat processor here on the kenai peninsula. The one I have been using (custom seafoods) has let the quality slip latly and I'm now looking for other options. Echo Lake years ago swapped meat on me and gave me someone else's dirty meat, so they're out. What others are out there?

Living like kings

Tustumena Smokehouse. I had them do up some of my stuff before. They messed up once on "instructions" and although the stuff was good, I ended up paying more than I wanted for their mistake. If you use them just make sure everything is clear....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used Custom Processors for my last grind. Used to go with Echo Lake, but experienced some of the same issues you mentioned. Several years ago I dropped a cooler of meat from a archery killed moose. Had them make a bunch of hot dogs and pepper sticks. You can imagine my surprise when I bit into chunks of lead on more than one hot dog. Another time picked up meat only to get a call and told to bring it back because it was someone elses. Then there was the time they lost 40 pounds of breakfast sausage.
    Now I grind my own. Might take some stuff in WAY after season and have some dogs made though, at Custom Processors.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I've also had bad experiences with all of the above mentioned. If I were you I would buy the necessary equipment and do it all yourself, if you've got the time obviously. The initial investment in the equipment can be expensive, but in a couple years it'll pay for itself. Plus it's a fun past time, for me at least, and you can do small batches of a bunch of different stuff instead of 25 or 50 lbs of a couple that they hold you to at the processors. If you need to take it somewhere though I'd go Indian Valley. Not on the Peninsula and not perfect but I think the best overall from what I've heard/experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Looking for a different meat processor here on the kenai peninsula. The one I have been using (custom seafoods) has let the quality slip latly and I'm now looking for other options. Echo Lake years ago swapped meat on me and gave me someone else's dirty meat, so they're out. What others are out there?

Living like kings

We had some Caribou processed by one of the mentioned places on K-Beach they called and had only half done for some reason so we picked it up and have been eating on it since August. they had the other half done about a week later and we just got into it and its is disgusting. We were able to treat all the meat absolutely perfect and the first batch was proof. They obviously mixed mine with other meat or something, lots of hair, smells like it got warm. I guess I had to learn the hard way. I will buy a $500 meat grinder before I will take my meat somewhere ever again!