Thread: Bear down

Default Bear down

My cousin called me up last week and said his girlfriend was coming up to visit. He is currently in college to be a doctor and didn't have time to take her out hunting and asked if I could take her out. I agreed but was dreading the trip because she was only about 20 years old he assured me that she was a hunter but I was still worried she would be one of the 20ish old obnoxious girls you hear talking with their friends at the mall and you wonder how they have managed to survive and not forget to breathe, but it was for my cousin so I'd do it. I was pleasantly surprised when she showed up not only was she a skilled hunter with many archery kills under her belt but she was much older than her age and was able to hold an intelligent conversation. She being from Montana it was entertaining to swap stories of our different home state hunts. It took us a couple hours to get into where I want to go to and we spent most of the hike talking about past hunts and hunts we'd like to do.
    Once I reached the perch I've used often in the past to spot from we sat down and started glassing and I pulled out the jetboil made a cup of coffee and continued to swap stories. We had glassed for about an hour or more before I decided to head farther into the valley to a different lookout. We got our stuff loaded back in our packs and just as we were starting to move I spot a bear on the opposite hillside I range it and it's just under 1k yds away. I studied the terrain carefully and came up with a plan of attack that would work with the wind direction we had if the bear would just stay where it was.
    It took us a bit to get across the valley but once we made it we scaled up the next side to about parallel of where I thought the bear was, once we got level with it we started sidehilling. I had seen that there were a few small draws that would keep us hidden until we were in range. I was in front and crested the last small ridge before I assumed I'd be able to see it. Just like it was scripted the bear was right where I expected it to be only once I ranged it it walked off the back side of the ridge he was on only 200yds away. Once she got up with me I told her where the bear was and we watched for it to come back out. After a while of seeing nothing I went up the hill for a different vantage but still couldn't see where he had went. I went back to where she was posted at and we're discussing what we should do when the bear reappeared and stood on top his ridge without the slightest clue we were there. The bear was enjoying his berry breakfast when he turned facing uphill and placed his left leg forward opening up his vitals. She took the shot and the bear spun and immediately I could see blood pouring out of the hole that was through the heart. The bear stood for only seconds before going down.
    After congratulating high fives we headed back down to the packs to bring them back up to the bear for pics and to get him broke down.
    After finishing getting him skinned and loaded on my pack we had a snack of fresh back strap cooked in bear fat before starting the long trek out.
    In all we hiked just over 10 miles (actual not guestimated) and we're on the trail for 15 hours and made it back to the truck around 10pm, I loaded her bear in her rig and we parted ways as friends. uploadfromtaptalk1442950860666.jpgDidn't square the bear but guess him around 6'. I have always enjoyed taking people hunting and seeing the enjoyment of making a dream a reality is something I really enjoy doing.

Living like kings
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice story.........thanks. Good looking bear.

Great story!
    You'd better tell your cousin to hold on to that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Bear, congratulations to her and for you taking a chance on a new hunting partner, I know that doesn't always work out so well

Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Great writeup. Nice looking Bear. I bet she's really hooked on Alaska now. Good job,both of you.

Right on Tony.....you da man...!!!

(and it sounds like she made a great shot too...)

Congrats to you both...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice story Tony, thanks for posting.

Sweet ! A very pretty and talented Huntress for sure!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Very well done
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Love to see women shooting things. Thanks for sharing!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Great story! Plus, she's from Montana so she's got to be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mt Al View Post
    Great story! Plus, she's from Montana so she's got to be cool!
    Great story Tony, thanks for sharing. As far as the whole MT. thing goes, my entire family lives in MT., and that's the biggest reason why I live in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Great story Tony, thanks for sharing. As far as the whole MT. thing goes, my entire family lives in MT., and that's the biggest reason why I live in AK.

.....a little dysfunctionality going on there eh?......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Lol, maybe a little. The biggest plus is not having to deal with my family on a daily basis. That way I can pretty much avoid any and all drama. It's worked out pretty good for the last 25 years, I think I'll continue to stay here.

That's awesome, glad to see they're actually showing up in the hills now