Thread: 180gr TSX in 06

Default 180gr TSX in 06

Well, I am up over 2800fps shooting at the moment with the groups so far at 2861fps on the average but there are no real tight groups. Well, today was not much better. The tightest group was with IMR4350 and that was 1 1/4". I think that my OAL and my case preperation played into today not being what I want. Now how far off the rifling should I set my TSX back? MRP was a flop when it comes to accuracy but I knew that was going to happen. MRP can give fast velocities but 90% of the time it is worthless when it comes to accuracy. I am going to also try RL-22 but do you all have a favorite powder for 180gr in an 06? Will try again in about two weeks. Have to go out of town next week and then also order some more 180gr TSX's. Well, your advice would be appreciated. I sure hope this works out because this would be a sweet deal. Just to have one 180gr bullet for both my favorite rifles. How about some imput on the 180gr TSX at 2850 plus at muzzle. Do you all think it will work well in the 06? I mean will it be a consistent killer on game at these velocities? There is no doubt about it working in my 300WBY and of course it shoots absolutely great in the Weatherby. Just rambling, but would really like some advice.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have always had luck seating the bullet about .050" off the lands.The one time I loaded them for a .280 it liked them .060" off.

I have heard that they need a bit of a jump to get started before entering the rifling.

I know Murphy would be able to give you the best and most accurate advice.

Hope this helps-Tim

Well, I was getting nice tight groups with H4831 and Fed 210 primers, but had a hard time breaking 2600 fps. I wasn't satisfied with that. Not in big bear country.

In retrospect, I think I was seating them even deeper than I needed to. For some reason, I can't measure the same distance to the lands twice in a row with that bullet. It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong, (though I get consistent results with other bullets), but my TSX loading for the '06 is on hold until I buy myself an OAL gauge.

Are you loading the boattail or the flat base?

Thumbs up 180 TSX's and the '06

In my '06 the 180 TSX's (boat-tails) haved grouped pretty well with a heavy dose of RL-15 and seated .004 to .006 off the lands. My last trip to the range before spring bear hunting yielded five, three shot groups of 1.04, .57, 1.04, .94, and .70 (inches)...which is pretty typical for this combination. Velocity was 2830, although I need to mention that this was the velocity of just one test shot rather than the average of the string (which I did not record). This data is from a very smooth 24" Lilja barrel with a 10 twist.

The black bear I shot through both lungs with this load last month went down real fast after a couple of leeps up the hill and it stayed down...pretty much lights out with one shot. The bullet exited the far side taking out a rib.

Doc

Well, I am going to pull out from brief retirement my Custom 30-06 Ackley IMP. with a Sako TRG reciver, Tuned trigger, and Lilja 24" barrel and see what it will do with some of my knew thoughts about powders and bullets. If I get it shooting again like it did before I got caught up in my new rifles (I killed a bear with it last Oct.) I will be a happy man. Sure hope I did not loose my load data that I had worked up for it. Will pull it out and go shoot it Thursday I think. yep that is what I will do. Got a 165gr load that moves 3054fps that shot real good. I will also try 200gr, 190gr, and 180gr loads. I am going to see if it will out shoot the Kimber.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

WOW!!! Loaded some 180gr TSX to try in my 06 Imp. and the OAL after seating was 3.2535" to be off the rifling like I need to be. My other bullets and loads were 3.40". I will be shooting tomorrow, Lord willing, a 200gr Sierra SBT, a 190gr Sierra Match, a 180gr Accubond, 180gr TSX, and a 165gr. Accubond.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

How far off the lands are you seating the TSX? I have some 168 gr match I'm planning to load for my Savage. (The range was pretty busy today and I didn't have the opportunity to save targets by rifle because I was working with four rifles and some of my sighting shots strayed into groups I was trying to keep them out of.) The final three shots with the Savage could be covered with a nickel and have a couple cents change to spare. That was with 165 gr. Core Lokts and a heavy charge of Winchester 760 (virgin brass). This rifle has only 25 rounds through it so it looks like a keeper. I can't wait to see how much the groups tighten up with fire formed brass. If I can find the right combo for the TSX I bet the rifle will be super accurate. BTW my cleaning patches stopped showing signs of copper after the tenth shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Beartooth,

How far off the lands are you seating the TSX? I have some 168 gr match I'm planning to load for my Savage. (The range was pretty busy today and I didn't have the opportunity to save targets by rifle because I was working with four rifles and some of my sighting shots strayed into groups I was trying to keep them out of.) The final three shots with the Savage could be covered with a nickel and have a couple cents change to spare. That was with 165 gr. Core Lokts and a heavy charge of Winchester 760 (virgin brass). This rifle has only 25 rounds through it so it looks like a keeper. I can't wait to see how much the groups tighten up with fire formed brass. If I can find the right combo for the TSX I bet the rifle will be super accurate. BTW my cleaning patches stopped showing signs of copper after the tenth shot.
    WOW!!! Sounds like you got a keeper. what cal. and model savage. I have a 7mmSTW that shot a .006" (one hole three shot group) and it was a model 116. I set the TSX back different for each rifle, have to play with it but do give it some jump.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

30-06 GL package wood stock. One thing about the barrel that is very noticeable to me is that when you run a dry patch through it to get out the excess cleaning Hoppes/Kroil it feels smooth as silk, no tight spots, nothing. A second dry patch feels the same way, not sloppy, just slick. Compared to some factory barrels, it cleans up very easily. Next time I'll have to take the chronograph to see how close to the loading manual the velocities really are.

Default X bullet and the 30-06

We have been shooting the standard 180 grain X bullet with Win. cases, CCI standard rifle primers and 60 grains of RL 19 at about 2830 MV for many years now. Start about .050 off the lands and start with 56 grains of RL 19. Then tune the load to your rifle. Caribou, moose and black bear shot through the lungs, heart and shoulder died like they were susposed to. All of the shots at game have been under 200 yards with this load.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    We have been shooting the standard 180 grain X bullet with Win. cases, CCI standard rifle primers and 60 grains of RL 19 at about 2830 MV for many years now. Start about .050 off the lands and start with 56 grains of RL 19. Then tune the load to your rifle. Caribou, moose and black bear shot through the lungs, heart and shoulder died like they were susposed to. All of the shots at game have been under 200 yards with this load.
    Thank you, you have confirmed what I know that the TSX and X are real killers and with my practiced ablity to place a shoot right where it has to go, only increases the lethality of the Barnes bullet. All I have to say to game this year if they could understand what I was saying, is hide, hide, hide and don't show your self up close or far off if you want to live.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS