Thread: 20 cows, 1 bull this morning

Default 20 cows, 1 bull this morning

All in a couple of hours. The bull was about 40 inches and was limping.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

What area?

Can you blame him limping.........he has 20 cows to service.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I literally spit my coffee out on my keyboard laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yeah, but the fifth leg is the one that really gets the work out.

In 15A. Saw lots of bulls during bow season. Only one was legal (a spike). Haven't been out for a while. I'm guessing many of the tweeners we saw early on are dead by now. I know of a couple for sure, and heard about others from my fellow hunters.
    I would rat out Mother Theresa for leaving one to rot. No body gets a pass from me on that.

As happy as you guys are for that bull. He's to late to service the 20 cows, other bulls beat him to it.
    The reason I know this is, they are not all over him. Once a cow is service they are know longer interested. Bull moose have the same problem all men do when it comes to females.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    As happy as you guys are for that bull. He's to late to service the 20 cows, other bulls beat him to it.
    The reason I know this is, they are not all over him. Once a cow is service they are know longer interested. Bull moose have the same problem all men do when it comes to females.
    I think actual breeding takes place about right now into the second week of October. So the little fella might not be too late after all!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Bull moose have the same problem all men do when it comes to females.
    Speak for yourself!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I think actual breeding takes place about right now into the second week of October. So the little fella might not be too late after all!

-Mike
    I've use to think the same thing. But it did not make any sense when I would see a cow following a bull early in the season or calling for a bull for hours, all signs of a cow in ester. Until, I was reading about when cows go into heat and it said cows go into heat at difference time depending on there age.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Speak for yourself!
    My standards must be a lot higher than yours. Walking around with a pocket full of quarters is not my idea of dating or getting someone drunk.

My standards must be a lot higher than yours. Walking around with a pocket full of quarters is not my idea of dating or getting someone drunk.
    Uncalled for. And now second comment bringing your level of respect for women into question.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Back on track. The 20 cows were not with the bull. Saw them in various places. One group of 4. Was surprised there wasn't a bull with them. The bull was alone.

I've use to think the same thing. But it did not make any sense when I would see a cow following a bull early in the season or calling for a bull for hours, all signs of a cow in ester. Until, I was reading about when cows go into heat and it said cows go into heat at difference time depending on there age.
    My go-to resource on things like this is a biology reference volume titled, Wild Mammals of North America, by Feldhammer, Thompson and Chapman. It's kinda spendy, but it is an invaluable resource on all our big-game species. I like to learn as much as I can about our critters, and this book is a great tool for that. It contains thousands of references from studies done all over North America, including the work of a number of well-respected biologists in Alaska. Here are some quotes:

"Estrous Cycle and Gestation. Although differences in length of the estrous cycle and gestation for moose have been reported (reviewed by Schwartz 1998), the most reliable data are from Schwartz and Hundertmark (1993). Those authors reported that estrus in captive female moose ranged from 28 September to 12 October. Moose are polyestrous and females will recycle if not bred in their first estrus (Edwards and Ritcey 1958; Markgren 1969). Indeed, Schwartz and Hundertmark (1993) observed a second period of estrus from 19 October to 5 November. The estrous cycle ranged from 22 to 28 days, with females typically being receptive for 15-26 hr (Schwartz and Hundertmark (1993)..."
    (page 936) and later,

"Rutting Dynamics and Mating Systems. The mating season (rut) in moose peaks in late September and early October and is highly synchronized (Lent 1974; Schwartz and Hundertmark 1993; Van Ballenberghe and Micelle 1993, 1996)..."
    Clearly our field observations may deviate in small regard from these data, but I do believe the data are accurate. I would be interested in the material you have suggesting that cows go into estrous at different times, depending on their age; I am not able to find anything that suggests that this is the case. I do have information indicating at what age a cow will participate in breeding, however. Assuming good nutrition, cows will mate as yearlings and give birth near their second birthday. Cows experiencing poor nutrition or in poor physical condition may delay mating until 40 months.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I use Ecology and management of the North American Moose and State and Federal biologist moose studies, and research progress reports to name a few.

To answer your question, looking through most of my information I did not find anything that specifically said the age of a cow moose will effect when she goes into ester other than what you already mention. I've got more information to dig through when I have more time.

I've got more information to dig through when I have more time.
    Talking to a moose biologist he has seen bulls mounting cows in early September, because it was not a publish fact. I did not think you would agree it happen so I did not feel like wasting my time.

That was then...........now I have new information http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...79#post1520979 from several form members that have seen newborn moose calf and cows being mounted by a bull at difference times of the year proving that I was right.

Back in the early 80's I saw a bull moose mount a cow in January. It was in the subdivision I live in. I was out snow plowing. Was surprised to see it, but I have seen elk breeding way late when I was logging in western Washington.
    I have an enlarged photo given to me by a taxidermist friend who watched a spike bull elk mount several cows that were with him .....in January.