Thread: Atv tire prices

Default Atv tire prices

So I can get specific tires shipped to anchorage for 70$ through carlisle. I can buy the set of tires for 620$, plus 70 for shipping. That's under 700$. On sale, the tires are 800$ locally. I can't understand for the life of me why the local shops won't match the price I can get it for ordering them online then shipping freight. 100$ is not chump change to me. Do the local dealers not realize we can get this stuff far cheaper from ordering online?

I think too many people want it now and simply pay the xtra $$. Not alot of patience out there anymore.

That may very well be true. It does take up to a couple weeks sometimes to get things from the lower 48. I prefer giving local businesses the money, but not when there's absolutely no reason to charge that much more.

One has to think about the cost to a dealer to keep things setting on the shelf where as the supplier in the lower 48 might sell as many units in one day as a dealer up here sells in a couple of months.Also the dealer up here goes through long periods where there is no sales during the winter. But yet he has his money setting on the shelf. Support your local merchant .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    One has to think about the cost to a dealer to keep things setting on the shelf where as the supplier in the lower 48 might sell as many units in one day as a dealer up here sells in a couple of months.Also the dealer up here goes through long periods where there is no sales during the winter. But yet he has his money setting on the shelf. Support your local merchant .

I would love to always support the local guy. But it is a 2 way street. Just because they are selling it doesnt mean i have to buy it there. It would be nice to keep the money local, but as stated, im not rich and im not giving a local dealer over 100$ just because he asks for it. I see your point that they have to store the tires and winter sales and all that, but so does the lower 48 shops. And the local guy could always order them for me, that way they arent sitting on a shelf taking up space. Another perfect example is brake pads for my rhino. They are 3 times as much for generic ones at the local dealer than they are to order off ebay. Why would i buy the local ones???

Do you know where the ones on eBay are made? Or the quality?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

*cough cough* amazon prime *cough* free shipping *cough cough*
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I think its a mixture of things...sometimes the prices are simply over inflated.. the excuse of being in Alaska has been over used so much that many folks like yourself are just tired of hearing it.. and rightfully so. Another issue is simply that local shops cannot compete with the Walmart's of the world. Big business does get better discounts on products to begin with.. Shipping and general overhead is much cheaper from them to boot. There is some legitimacy to the (in Alaska) argument . It is also however, an argument that has been used to gouge people for so long that its lost legitimacy in the eyes of the consumer.

Fact is if you don't want to support the local guy.... then don't. You are however wasting you're time expecting lower 48 prices. These local business just won't ever be able to compete with the internet.

What i personally look for is a local company is this....

1) isn't charging an un-proprtional price. In my mind something like tires being 50 bucks more for a set of 4 isn't obscene... 12.50 a tire is fairly reasonable.(especially for good service).. a 100 bucks more a set is pushing the envelope in my book.. your own judgement here (and the price of their competition) is the only guide you have.
    In a free market if another company can still make a buck... by selling a product cheaper then their competitors they will usually do it...
    if the prices at other local shops are fairly in line... you can be fairly sure the business you are shopping at are not trying to make a un proportional profit off you.

For me at the end of the day i do what my conscious will allow me to justify... I don't have a problem with a local company makes a buck off of me... I want them to stay in business for my convenience if nothing else...

That being said I despise someone attempting to rip me off... and I will tell them to shove it... And then go order something elsewhere just despite them.

double post....oops
    Last edited by AlaskanTides; 09-25-2015 at 00:28. Reason: Double Post

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    *cough cough* amazon prime *cough* free shipping *cough cough*
    Yea I love amazon prime. Just bought a pressure canner with free shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    That may very well be true. It does take up to a couple weeks sometimes to get things from the lower 48. I prefer giving local businesses the money, but not when there's absolutely no reason to charge that much more.
    Not always. I have ordered a set of Blizzak tires from my wife's Rav 4, mounted and balanced on aluminum alloy wheels from Tirerack, shipped via UPS Ground within one week. Shipment was around $300.00, but I still saved over $600.00 compared to local prices. Just three weeks ago I ordered a 3,500-pound winch from Cabela's in the lower-48, and it was at my door step three days later. Shipment was $5.00.

That said, for automobile tires I have found great deals and service locally, over at Alyaska Tire in Fairbanks. For example, at Kendall I would have to pay $100.00 to have new tire pressure sensors registered in the car's TPMS computer, so I go to Alyaska for any tire service, where registering the sensors is free, regardless if they replace the tires or not. I would not mind at all paying Alyaska Tire for the 10 minutes it takes to register the sensors, but they refuse to take payments for the service. You can guess who does any tire work for me now

I have yet to understand why local companies can't figure it out either. In the 4 years I have lived here, I have bought 3 complete sets of tires, and only one set did not have to be ordered at the local vendor. Most places here do not keep 17 inch tires and larger in stock, so they have them shipped up anyways. While I want to support local business and do many times, if it's going to add say 20% or more to the price of a large purchase, I will go and order from Amazon or somewhere else.