Thread: DI454 River Boat Advice

Default DI454 River Boat Advice

Hi all. My wife drew a DI454 tag (Copper bison). Some plans fell through, so we are looking to buy our own boat to cruise the Copper for the hunt. We are both avid boaters, but don't know much about river boats. Any advice on a good boat for that area? I.E. V vs. flat, minimum HP (depending on length), length, makes etc.?

Thank you

I have done that hunt with a 16 ft alweld with a 50hp jet, I know others that have rafted down from the Klutina. I wouldn't attempt it with anything smaller than a 16ft, even this time of year with lower water there are some nasty spots. When are you planning on going?
    Amanda Rose
    2010 Kingfisher 3025
    Twin Yamaha 250's

I would use a raft or take the jet boat up and float back down. We saw multiple bison hit the bushes when a boat motor could be heard then come back out after it had passed. We were in a raft and that's the reason we were able to connect. Kingfisher is right about it being nasty. We had a few close calls but the hunt was a great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher10 View Post
    I have done that hunt with a 16 ft alweld with a 50hp jet, I know others that have rafted down from the Klutina. I wouldn't attempt it with anything smaller than a 16ft, even this time of year with lower water there are some nasty spots. When are you planning on going?
    Planning on going ASAP as soon as we figure this out. Those Alwelds look nice...did you have a flat, or V hull? Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    I would use a raft or take the jet boat up and float back down. We saw multiple bison hit the bushes when a boat motor could be heard then come back out after it had passed. We were in a raft and that's the reason we were able to connect. Kingfisher is right about it being nasty. We had a few close calls but the hunt was a great success.
    That's some good info, thank you very much. What kind/size raft did you have? What time of year?

We used a fourteen foot sotar. It was a bit small. Water level is everything on the copper. It can change dramatically in a day or so.

Its a flat bottom with a tunnel, semi V bow, I sent you a PM
    Amanda Rose
    2010 Kingfisher 3025
    Twin Yamaha 250's