Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 8x57 so under appreciated and unsung?

Default Why is the 8x57 so under appreciated and unsung?

I was just comparing the 8x57 Mauser with the 338 Federal which had gun writers slobbering in their ink a couple of years ago. When they are both loaded to the same pressure they are equal. I know there are lots of retired and just plain tired military rifles out there that should not be firing rounds loaded to modern pressure levels. There are lots of miss matched bolts and receivers that could have head space issues. There are some Turkish 98's and probably some Spanish 98s that were made with sub quality steel. However it is my belief that there are a whole lot of those old 98 mausers that are as strong and in many cases stronger than many of the new guns rolling out of factories every day.

I have a couple of those old mausers down in my basement that have been ignored for years. I think I'll drag one out and give it a good cleaning and play with some loads. I might spark a flame with those old mausers and a new wrinkle in things that go bang. There sure are a lot more powder options out there than back when I last messed with a 8x57 Mauser.

Do any of you guys up north use 8mm mausers in the field?

It's been years, but I used one for a while back in the mid 70's. Only shot deer with it, but in my eyes it didn't give up a thing to the 06 with either 170's or 200's. Mine was a very good German Mauser "sporterized" by a great gunsmith I knew back then. I really regret parting with it, both for it's own sake and as a memento of that great old guy.

Good luck on your quest. I bet you'll find happiness if those basement queens are of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Why is the 8x57 so under appreciated and unsung?
    Choose one or more:

• It's "old" and therefore inherently antiquated and inferior.
    • It's "metric", and everyone knows metric is inferior to U.S./Imperial.
    • The latest super duper magnum skeletonized titanium mountain rifle isn't chambered for it.
    • "Old" cartridge designs are "weak"; newer cartridge designs are "stronger".
    • It doesn't have the word "magnum" in it's name.
    • It doesn't have a belt.
    • People are idiots.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Why? Marketing. Plain and Simple.

Iofthetaiga you missed a couple it is not stainless and it doesn't have a synthetic stock.

People will tell you a 7X57 is too light for (fill in the blank) but a 7-08 is perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    People will tell you a 7X57 is too light for (fill in the blank) but a 7-08 is perfect!
    Yup. That's the foundation of marketing. A hired gun for the manufacturer (calls himself a gun writer) writes it, guy reads it and repeats it as gospel, and away you go. Marketing. I've been marketed enough. I quit buying the gun mags, figuring they should pay me to read them, they have so much advertising and friendly reviews from gun writers praying to the paycheck rather than being honest. Yeah, I'm ranting. But if the mags are getting paid for the ads, they don't need my money, too. Especially when they're printing drivel. Rant over!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Do any of you guys up north use 8mm mausers in the field?
    Not an 8mm Mauser but I have been flinging .323 200gr accubonds at sheep and moose for 10 years from my short action Kimber. Marketed of course as the 325 wsm.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Not an 8mm Mauser but I have been flinging .323 200gr accubonds at sheep and moose for 10 years from my short action Kimber. Marketed of course as the 325 wsm.
    It's the best of the short mags too. Now if they would have called it the 8mm WSM it would have fallen between the cracks. I bet it kills everything that you point it at huh? It doesn't accomplish anything more than adding a hundred yards to what the 8x57 will do.......which makes it a heck of a cartridge in my book!

The ones I have are heavy, though I did carry one my first hunting season up here.

They are also all original and matching, so I've had no interest in modifying them. I have looked for another to play with by they've gone up so much from when I bought my last one I haven't talked myself into it.

If I wasn't marching up and down mountains filled with brown bears I'd be more tempted to use one in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the available ammunition "back in the day" didn't do much to help the 8x57. Most of the stuff that was available here was surplus, corrosive and the bullet construction was indifferent at best. 8x57 was (and is) highly regarded in Europe with European loadings.

Of course, we've got some great 8mm bullets and ammo today but it seems to be without interest from the bulk of the hunting public. It's like our parents and grandparents wrote off the 8x57 and we just took it as fact.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Talking

I have 3 boxes of partitions for the old workhorse if anyone is interested
    Last edited by 377PFA; 10-03-2015 at 12:19. Reason: wrong emoji

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    Why? Marketing. Plain and Simple.
    X2. WhIle we are at it, what about the 7x57?

Why is the 8x57 so under appreciated and unsung?

Because the American SAAMI restricts the chamber pressure in factory loaded ammunition for the 8x57 Mauser to 35,000 psi due to the older rifles still being used. The European CIP the equivalent of the SAAMI rates the max chamber pressure for the 8x57 at 57,000 psi. Meaning to get the full potential out of your 8mm Mauser you need to reload to the same levels as the 30-06.

neck it down to 257 and it's pure magic!!!

The 8mm is a great round. Grandfather killed more deer with it then his 06.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    X2. WhIle we are at it, what about the 7x57?
    7x57 is one of those great rounds that is cyclical in popularity. It's been far more popular than the 8x57 in this country and in vogue about every 10 years or so.

It is very popular in the UK under the guise of the .275 Rigby and in Europe as well. Notable American fans of the 7x57 are Eleanor O'Connor (along with some guy named Jack) and Craig Boddington.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think that the available ammunition "back in the day" didn't do much to help the 8x57. Most of the stuff that was available here was surplus, corrosive and the bullet construction was indifferent at best. 8x57 was (and is) highly regarded in Europe with European loadings.

Of course, we've got some great 8mm bullets and ammo today but it seems to be without interest from the bulk of the hunting public. It's like our parents and grandparents wrote off the 8x57 and we just took it as fact.
    Yeah, that's it, and the 2 different barrel/bullet sizes, the JR and the JS, and I may have those designations wrong, since it is confusing, to me at least.

What is there to appreciate, or sing about?

If you have a rifle chambered for it, fine, but I see no reason to build one.

Bullet Selection? Nahh.

Ballistics aren't Crap, but nothing to brag about, either.

So, it's back to the Rifle. If I found a really great Mauser Sporter chambered for 8x57, maybe.

There are a great many bullets available for 7x57, and it's recoil is moderate, both of which are worthy of musical note. Can't say that of the 8x57.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

If you have a rifle chambered for it, fine, but I see no reason to build one.

Smitty of the North
    That's how I feel about most customs I see, particularly the ones getting out shot by sub $400 budget guns or (gasp) AR-15s...

I like the looks an feel of most of the customs I've been around but I sure can't stomach the prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with the 8x57. But our answer to it was the 30-06 and that buried it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast