Thread: So close!

Default So close!

Did the seward hwy gig this weekend. Spotted a bear at 0830 am with the uphill wind went up the side of the mountain and was set up above him by 1100. Sitting right above the last spot I saw him I watched 2 other hunters come up who saw me and gave me the right of way(thanks!!!) I waited about half an hour until I heard a some crunches. Glanced down at the other two hunters and they were watching me very intently as they headed down. Figured the bear was close. Even though I couldn't see anything.

Bear appeared on the edge of the alders at about 25 yards and gave me a head shot that I passed on.... I move about 10 feet to get a better shot and propped myself up on the steep slope. I had the bear in my crosshairs and safety off and had the easiest cake shot in the world. That is when my feet went out from under me and I went sliding down the mountain and the bear spooked........

So if you were the two guys watching me from the bottom of the mountain that's what happened. And thanks for not pushing up the mountain after you saw me.

So, so close! ****!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by quest32a View Post
    That is when my feet went out from under me and I went sliding down the mountain and the bear spooked........
    I take it you're ok though? Hope so. The bear can be replaced....your body can't.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yeah, it was nice soft berries. Couple stains on my butt but no worse for the wear. Just can't quite seem to close the deal. Multiple good opportunities.

@quest32a that was my son and I that you saw today below you. We spotted that bear around 9 and were making our way up when we looked up and saw you come over the ridge. Couldn't quite see the bear but we knew you were close figured one of us would get the bear so we backed out and headed back down and figured we'd watch the show. We got to a point where we could see the bear then we saw you belly crawling across the ridge. Then the next thing we know the bear stood straight up and took off. Just figured you'd spooked him not taken a tumble.

Haha... Figured it was someone here that had seen me. Thanks again for giving me room even though I goofed it up. Couldn't quite see what happened after I slid, just no bear any more. Which way did he head? And did you guys see any more ? I stayed up top for a while and never saw any sign of him again.

Glad you ended up safe! That story reminds me of a similar event I experienced.. I was floating 9 miles of river running traps when I saw a mass of ducks on a bend ahead. I beached the boat and grabbed the trusty 870 and off I went circling the quackers.. I bellied crawled the last few yards and was going to end up about fifteen feet directly above them. Kept telling myself to be careful and pick my shots as it would have been very easy to drop several with one shot with close to 500 ducks in a small area and I was just allowed 2 drakes and a hen at that time... So up I stand - trot up the last few feet - ducks look up and Gulp hard then the next thing I know I was wedged in a hole to my armpits! I didn't realize the bank was so eroded away and was only a few inches thick where I stopped to make my stand! No ducks were harmed and I had one heck of a time getting out of those roots! Funny memory now...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Glad I'm not the only one!