Thread: Gill parasites on Rainbows?

Default Gill parasites on Rainbows?

I caught a trout on a parks stream last week, and when I netted it, I saw that it was bleeding from one side of it's gills. I thought I had perhaps gill-hooked it, but my hook was clean in the jaw. After de-hooking and reviving it for a bit, the bleeding seemed to stop. I opened up the gill plate and saw a couple of beige colored parasites, about the size of a grain of rice each, attached to the outer fringes of it's gills. The gills looked pale, and a little ragged, otherwise, the fish was robust, and fought brutally!
    In later days, I would find two dead rainbows with what looked like heavy growths of white fungus grown around the gill plates. I also found a badly struggling dolly with the same affliction, clearly on it's way out. My googling led me to a short piece on a similar affliction in a midwest watershed, but lacked in the substance I was hoping for. Anyone know what I seeing, and what it means for Alaskan trout?

no pictures-sorry

You should pass that info to ADF&G.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

hopefully its not gill lice. It has been a big problem to midwestern trout. Especially the brookies.

Those parasites have been around forever. They get them in the winter when they are schooled-up in tight quarters in lakes. It is much more prevalent in the rainbows than the dollies on the Kenai River.

Ya, first time I saw it was in the fall down in Ketchikan on the rainbows there, never saw it on the dollies which seems strange. Never saw it in the spring when fish were spread out, just the fall, seemed every rainbow had it to some degree, see it lots on the Russain too.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Firefisher View Post
    I caught a trout on a parks stream last week, and when I netted it, I saw that it was bleeding from one side of it's gills. I thought I had perhaps gill-hooked it, but my hook was clean in the jaw. After de-hooking and reviving it for a bit, the bleeding seemed to stop. I opened up the gill plate and saw a couple of beige colored parasites, about the size of a grain of rice each, attached to the outer fringes of it's gills. The gills looked pale, and a little ragged, otherwise, the fish was robust, and fought brutally!
    In later days, I would find two dead rainbows with what looked like heavy growths of white fungus grown around the gill plates. I also found a badly struggling dolly with the same affliction, clearly on it's way out. My googling led me to a short piece on a similar affliction in a midwest watershed, but lacked in the substance I was hoping for. Anyone know what I seeing, and what it means for Alaskan trout?

no pictures-sorry
    The parasite is Salmincola. Look at page 78-79 in the link below. This is nothing new and has been well documented.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...sease_book.pdf

This parasite effects mostly smaller fish under 23 inches. Grayling are not infected and dollies are occasionally infected. I first noticed this a decade ago and submitted a bunch of photos to ADF&G. They liked my photos so much they used it in their publication, which is the picture on page 79. That rainbow was from the Kenai.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I have seen and photographed Salmincola on salmonids underwater in the Cordova area.
    Here is a photo of them on a Cutthroat Trout:
    http://www.salmonography.com/Salmoni...ut/i-HMCGpbj/A
    Here is a photo of them on a Coho Salmon:
    http://www.salmonography.com/Salmoni...on/i-CXk6LQS/A
    Thanks for looking
    Tom
    Last edited by Salmonographer; 09-21-2015 at 18:42. Reason: correct spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Salmonographer View Post
    I have seen and photographed Salmincola on salmonids underwater in the Cordova area.
    Here is a photo of them on a Cutthroat Trout:
    http://www.salmonography.com/Salmoni...ut/i-HMCGpbj/A
    Here is a photo of them on a Coho Salmon:
    http://www.salmonography.com/Salmoni...on/i-CXk6LQS/A
    Thanks for looking
    Tom
    Beautiful work, Tom! Truly outstanding.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Beautiful work, Tom! Truly outstanding.

-Mike

Thank you!
    Tom

Guys, thank you for the follow-up, and the links. I'm glad to hear it's nothing new (FishGod, I found a thread in this forum on the same topic from 2008), and that ADF&G is well aware of it. Like most fish parasites I've seen, they're pretty gross looking. Now I'm making myself sick by pouring over the fish disease link you posted. I think I'm going to start eating more beef!

Guys, thank you for the follow-up, and the links. I'm glad to hear it's nothing new (FishGod, I found a thread in this forum on the same topic from 2008), and that ADF&G is well aware of it. Like most fish parasites I've seen, they're pretty gross looking. Now I'm making myself sick by pouring over the fish disease link you posted. I think I'm going to start eating more beef!
    Nah, just freeze and cook properly. It's just additional protein!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Like most fish parasites I've seen, they're pretty gross looking. Now I'm making myself sick by pouring over the fish disease link you posted. I think I'm going to start eating more beef!
    Whatever you do, don't google taenia saginata.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I just became a vegan.

Speaking of tapeworms. I have spotted tapeworms several times in salmon streams, always when adult salmon were present. Consumers of salmon were also around. Hard to get a good look and snapshot of them as they are typically flat on the bottom. That is until I found some snagged examples. See this link:
    http://www.salmonography.com/Salmoni...se/i-55qKZXR/A

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The parasite is Salmincola. Look at page 78-79 in the link below. This is nothing new and has been well documented.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...sease_book.pdf

This parasite effects mostly smaller fish under 23 inches. Grayling are not infected and dollies are occasionally infected. I first noticed this a decade ago and submitted a bunch of photos to ADF&G. They liked my photos so much they used it in their publication, which is the picture on page 79. That rainbow was from the Kenai.
    Wow. Thanks for the link. I've heard of monogenetic flukes infesting gills of fish, but I was not aware of these species of copepods that parasitize the gills of fish. Good to know.

Shoot, that's nothing. I'd take a tapeworm over ​Trichenella spiralis any day.