Thread: Kodiak Goat in March

Default Kodiak Goat in March

I will be returning soon from my deployment and was looking into doing a goat hunt in march. My hunting partner has spoken to the area bio and got some info. I wanted to hear from people that have done this hunt and there thoughts and experience on this. We are planning on going first week in march. We did book a cabin there. Deadman's bay area is where the cabin is. I'm hoping to attempt this hunt with my bow.
    Thanks...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Get in touch with Alaska Lanche. He did it last year in March. I believe he was in the same area but not sure on that.

Thanks

Living the Alaska Dream
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hi Gray,

Don't know if you are planning on having a mount done - one thing to keep in mind about March goats is they 'can' be iffy, as far as hair beginning to 'spring out' (weather, individual goat, etc, determine when they begin shedding out). The other thing about those later season goats is the taxidermist will not be able to comb the underfur (wool) very much because it is, well, loose. And you risk losing all the underfur if overcombed. I have a March goat here I just finished mounting. Feel very fortunate it came back from the tannery with hair and wool because it was definitely on the verge of coming loose in several areas. (and in those places it definitely is not getting a thorough backbrushing).

Just an FYI as you plan and think about what to look for out there.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

did you ever get any info or feedback on this hunt? i was thinking about doing this hunt next winter. thanks

It should be pretty straight forward hunt. Like most on Kodiak it will be somewhat weather dependent. If the snow is not to deep straight up the hill behind the cabin & you should be able to find the goats. I've been there in the fall & the alders shouldn't be to bad to negotiate without leaves that time of year. The one thing about the cabin, it is big & open so if you plan to heat it keep that in mind. I almost think trying to bring a buddy heater & just heating one room would be the best option.

I stayed there last December and yes, the cabin is hard to heat, but not impossible. We took 12 gallons of heating oil for 6 days and didn't run out. We were very conservative and it wasn't that cold (30-45degrees). Also, we tried the buddy heater in the one room, it wasn't that successful. You are better off getting the drip stove going and heading up to the loft. The goats were right behind the cabin, but you'll need a spotting scope to see if they are legal.