Thread: Airborne scouting restriction effect on 2015 sheep hunts

Default Airborne scouting restriction effect on 2015 sheep hunts

Hey guys I'm wondering if the new ADFG restriction against airborne scouting for sheep during the season caused you to change your hunt plans or if it made it harder for you to locate a legal ram. This was my first year sheep hunting and the rams I saw from the air pre season and during on the ground scouting trips were well hidden by the time my September 5 permit began. I didn't see a for sure legal ram until the 10th day of my hunt and they were way up in unclimbable cliffs.
    I suspect the rule influenced more guys to plan hunting as early in the season as possible and those with later season hunts had a harder time finding legal rams so I curious if that corresponds to others' experience this year. Thanks.

Hasnt been any issue for me. I've never done it. Can't afford to, don't have friends with planes and don't fly myself. Still taken sheep.

I don't have any real input for airplanes but I had a helicopter buzz sheep I was stalking two days in a row. Second day I blew my cover, stood up and threw my hands in the air. I don't know if it was AST or not as I didn't think to get the tail number until after I got back. Pissed me off thoroughly though. They were at most a couple hundred feet AGL and buzzing straight over the bands.

I can say however that the cubs that flew over definitely had a point A to point B flight path.

Quote Originally Posted by SLDMTN View Post
    I don't know if it was AST or not as I didn't think to get the tail number until after I got back.
    Man, that's too bad. It would have been nice to know if it was indeed a trooper or not. I feel for ya buddy....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had a similar helo experience. Buzzed up the Peters creek valley a few hundred feet over head then did a u turn at the head of the valley and went back to anchorage. It was a large helo Olive drab, not sure if it was military or not but I think it did spook the ram i was stalking a bit and made him leave area sooner. I didn't think to get glass on the chopper until it was heading down valley so no idea who it was. Was it a similar helo and location where you got buzzed? My friend confirmed it was not ak mtn rescue group but that's all I know for sure.

We were in the Talks. It was a white helo with red and blue stripes running horizontally. General hunt area. I do believe they were poach hunting. I feel reasonably sure that there were no more legal rams in the area. It would seem plausible that they were looking for sub legal harvest.

Regardless it pissed me off and was definitely pushing the bands of animals.

For time reference it was August 19-21.

I was sheep hunting several years ago and had a helicopter buzzing low down the valley. He hovered near us for a while but I was convinced he didn't see us with our camo. He then went further down the valley and threw something out of the door that looked like a 2x2 foot box and flew away. I was dumbfounded. I took note of his N number which actually was Canadian and when I returned home and looked it up, turns out it belonged to a mining operation. Curiosity was killing us as to what the hell was in that box but 2000 feet wasn't worth giving up to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk