Thread: Busted a rod tip wonder about replacement

Default Busted a rod tip wonder about replacement

I have a Cabela's Stowaway6 8 weight back-able fly rod and the tip section just failed. Does anyone know if they sell rod sections ?
    I have an e-mail into them but no answer yet It is a wee bit of a drive for me to visit the Anchorage store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-12-15 001 (1024x298).jpg  
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I'm not aware of any company that sells replacement sections without having the rod sent back to them. I'm not sure about Big C's rods, but lots are warranted. You might only be faced with a small fee for handling plus shipping. You might call the Anchorage store for advice if your email isn't answered soon.

St Croix will sell the tip section only without you sending back the entire rod (unfortunately, I've only had this piece break once..). I'm not sure about Cabelas, but can't hurt to ask! Their phone may be a tad quicker than the email.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

St. Croix as AKHunter pointed out does sell some rod tip sections for a few of their fly rod models. Cabelas will replace the entire rod. Give them a call.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

If not, just get a piece of tubing slightly larger that the O.D. of the rod, and make a sleeve.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Thanks for the info. My better rod is a St. Croix 8 weight. It is MUCH stronger than this little Cabela's back-pack 8 weight. The little Cabela's rod acts more like a 4-5 weight. A light breeze makes the tip bend. In fact I only had 6 or 8 pound leader on it when it broke.

I will give them a call since customer service is not answering my e-mails.

I had a okuma rod break that I bought from Cabelas. I just brought it in and they replaced it no questions and no receipt.

HERE ARE MY COMMS WITH CABELA's

TO CABELA's CUSTOMER SERVICE:
    My daughter bought me the 8 weight fly rod for fathers day 2014. She used to work in the Anchorage Cabela's store in the fly fishing section and she knew I had been drooling over one.
    On Sept 13, 2015, I was wading in the Anchor River here in Alaska fishing for Dolly Varden and I managed to get a small Silver Salmon on the line.
    I was was only using 6 pound leader.
    This Silver was making some torpedo like runs in the heavy current and the end section just folded over. I only had about 45-50 degrees of side bend on the rod. The light leader did not break and I was still able to land the fish with the remaining rod. He was a small silver, around an 6-8 pound fish.
    I was using a 678 weight English made Scientific Anglers reel that I was palm dragging because it does to have a working drag

The section where it broke seems to have very thin walls. See pics
    The rod is a dream to carry on a pack or for loading in my plane.

ANSWER:

Thank you for contacting Cabela’s E-mail.

I do apologize but we are only able to offer a 1 year warranty on the rod that you have. The warranty also only applies to the original purchaser. Unfortunately, we would not be able to replace the rod for you.

Thank you for visiting cabelas.com and come back soon!

Sincerely,
    Nate A.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    HERE ARE MY COMMS WITH CABELA's

ANSWER:

Thank you for contacting Cabela’s E-mail.

I do apologize but we are only able to offer a 1 year warranty on the rod that you have. The warranty also only applies to the original purchaser. Unfortunately, we would not be able to replace the rod for you.

Thank you for visiting cabelas.com and come back soon!

Sincerely,
    Nate A.
    Aaaaannnd, *boom*. That's the end of buying Cabela's rods, I think. Last year I broke the tip on a rod that Orvis no longer makes, and they manufactured me a new rod tip. A few years ago I lost the tip on a Redington rod - no dispute, this was 100% my fault - and they covered it under the rod's warranty anyway. I'm sorry about your rod - a gift from your kids is really special.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I wonder who makes them for Cabela's ?

Thanks for confirming that I shouldn't buy fly rods from them!

Angry

So...I also asked Cabela's who makes these six piece rods in hopes that I could buy a rod tip from the manufacture. Here is their BS answer.

Manufacturer information for Cabela's brand products like the Cabela's Stowaway 6 Fly Rods, Item: IK-321237, is considered proprietary information and is not disclosed. The country or origin is Korea.
    3 hours ago
    CabelasExpert40

Huh....

Bud broke the second section on one of my TFO's earlier this summer when he was here for a 2-week visit. I sent it right out to TFO, and it was back in time for him to use it again before he left. Call it little more than a week round trip from Texas, replaced the broken section, no questions asked.

Back in May a king broke a Sage 10WT on the strike. Sent it out to Sage right away. Still waiting for the rod 4.5 months later.

Message to me is, the true test of a warranty is whether you get it back in time to use it again before the season has passed. TFO sure won that contest!

For the price, support, and level of performance ECHO is unbeatable.

Good to hear. Haven't broken any yet, but nice to know the service is back there. Only been using Echo for year now, and my only reaction is that they're heavier and "chunkier" than comparable TFO's. If the extra weight translates into extra toughness, that will be good in short AK seasons.